Need L.A. restaurant recommendation

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Mambo_

Need L.A. restaurant recommendation

We are taking our college students to dinner this Saturday or Sunday. They attend school near Marina del Rey. We will be a party of 8, I think.

We're looking for a nice restaurant (but not four-star per se) that would offer fish and beef, and/or Italian, with entrees less than $30. A cool atmosphere for the college kids (they are in the film/television school), with good food and service for the adults.

Someplace with a waterfront location? Or the newest coolest place to go?

We've considered the Cafe Marina del Rey, The Ivy, etc. But they look too expensive.

Any recs?
>-

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the newest, in fact I think it's the oldest, but a big, fun place:

The Warehouse
http://www.mdrwarehouse.com/home.html

menu is on the website.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Mambo_

What about a restaurant that is smaller, and more 'sleek', more edgey? These kids (actually 19 year olds) are into the indie style of music, film, etc. Maybe a low-key club atmosphere for a nice dinner? Impossible?

Or, going the other, more traditional direction, I'm thinking of The Palm as a trusty standby. But which location in L.A.? The kids hang out in Santa Monica, so maybe going downtown would be a nice change of pace for them. Is the downtown Palm nice?

Thanks, all!
>-

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Do your kids go to LMU? I went there, and a favorite dinner spot was C&O Trattoria. There are two locations, both on Washington Blvd. Go to the one nearest the beach. They have good Italian food with monstrous portions and it's very affordable. If you can, sit outside in the courtyard area--it's very pretty. And don't miss the nightly sing-a-long!
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Wow, I had completely forgotten about the Warehouse. I ate there more than 20 years ago. I remember it as a casual, fun atmosphere. Thanks for the memory Patrick.

There was also a place called Charley Brown's nearby, a similar type of fish/steakhouse right on the marina, although I don't know if it is still in business or not.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Mambo_

Vicgoddess, you are entirely right! We went to exactly the C&O, near Venice Beach, on our last visit. It's a really great place to go. So this visit, we need a new place. Thanks! (Did you like LMU?)
>-

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM

There are several great restaurants in Manhattan Beach, if you decide to head south instead of north. Hennessey's is a Irish-style pub, but may be a little lower-class than you're looking for. There is a tiny hole-in-the-wall called Mama D's across the street that I remember going to for a Valentine's Day dinner. The Kettle is an all-night diner type of place, but a little more upscale. Beaches restaurant is right near the water, too. Just a tad bit inland is Il Fornaio, which I remember dressing up for (but it's not too fancy. It also might be a chain...not sure).
Yes, I liked LMU. It is a beautiful campus and a great school. Do your kids like it?
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Well if you're looking for 'edgy' and willing to go downtown, there's the Edison:
http://www.edisondowntown.com/

A nice place for drinks is the revolving bar at the Westin in downtown, pricey but a fantastic view.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Mambo_

Vicgoddess, thanks. We are on the same wavelength, because we also went to Mama D's, for a wonderful hole-in-the-wall Italian dinner.

Yes, they seem to like LMU a lot. This is their freshman year, so lots of changes.

And we like visiting California all the time!
>-

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Not sure on the menu but we love BOA it is in Santa Monica... right on the corner of PCH. Very hip place...
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Ah, LMU, my almost alma mater... I really liked it there.

Lee Ann
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Hmmm...seems there are a few fellow Lions out there in Fodor's world. I think I'm going to post a thread in the Lounge to seek more of us out.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM

I'm the mother of a graduated Lion!
Rock'N Fish, with a partial view of the Pier and Ocean, in Manhattan Beach, is one of our favorite restaurants in town. Dinner is around $20-30 a person. Make sure you have a reservation because it's one of the most popular places.

http://rocknfishmb.com/
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If Manhattan Beach isn't too far, try Fonz's Restaurant just 3 blocks south of Mama D's.

1017 Manhattan Avenue
Manhattan Beach
310-376-1536
www.fonzs.com

or Rock 'N Fish (around the corner from Mama D's, first block above the pier)
120 Manhattan Beach Blvd.
Manhattan Beach
310-379-9900

Fonz's would be slightly more expensive and quieter.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
lvk

Don't forget downtown El Segundo:

http://secondcitybistro.com/
www.farmstand.us
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Caffe del Rey in the Marina is everything you want--hip, on the water, great food for years and years. Somewhat pricey, but worth it for both food and ambiance.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Mambo_

Thanks, everyone. We have decided on The Palm in Santa Monica. I think it will please everyone. We didn't want to drive far from campus, and wanted a place to walk around after dinner. I'll report back if it's a remarkable dinner.
>-

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM

The Palm in Santa Monica?

OR

The Palm at 9001 Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood? www.thepalm.com

Remarkable? Maybe. It's a famous restaurant chain. But it could also be rather expensive if you don't order carefully. Everything is ala carte.

It's not very far from LMU, but the drive is almost entirely on surface streets, so it may feel sloooooww.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Mambo_

Jean, good question. On-line it only showed two restaurants, and the other one is downtown. The resie does say West Hollywood, on Santa Monica Blvd. Is there another one in Santa Monica? Or did I just assume it? I know it's relatively pricey, but their side dishes and desserts are sized to share, so that helps. It's a treat for the college kids and their parents, anyway. Thanks!
>-

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I'm not aware of a restaurant in Santa Monica by the name of the The Palm, and no restaurant of that name in SM comes up on Google.

I think your night at The Palm in WeHo will be something to talk about, but I'm not sure it will be a remarkable meal. They are famous for the atmosphere (not sleek and edgy but very "old school" traditional) and their (expensive) steaks.

In your OP you mentioned Cafe Del Rey and The Ivy as looking too expensive. I put The Palm on a higher cost level than those two.

But, your money = your choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -