Need info about pubs/bronx

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 02:27 AM
jan-erik

Hi.
im going to nyc in february, have been 3 times to manhatten this year, thinking about trying to go out in bronx this time, need info about ok pubs etc in bronx, and about safety. '
jan-erik

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:49 AM
Mike

I'd suggest going to Brooklyn instead. It's much more beautiful and safe than the Bronx, though I'm not all that familiar with the pub scene. You'll probably want to head to the Williamsburg neighborhood, L train to Bedford drops you right in the middle of it all. There is also a lot of shops/bars/restaurants in Brooklyn Heights, 2/3 to Clark St. If you search the web for "brooklyn bars", I'm sure you'll find lots of info.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:34 AM
jan-erik

Thanks for your help, i skip brox, and
take the trip to brooklyn.how about
qeens?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:27 AM
Merilee

Jan-Erik, the Bronx is no more dangerous than any other borough in the city. As a matter of fact, every borough has neighborhoods that should be avoided even if you are a native. As for pubs in the Bronx, the Woodlawn section is home to many Irishmen (and women) and there are many pubs in this area. The Van Cortlandt Park area of the Bronx also has many pubs. This is a in a pretty area because of the park and Manhattan College. Up the hill is the Riverdale section of the Bronx which also has a few pubs. Riverdale is also a pretty area with many beautiful homes and a specacular view of the Hudson River and the Jersey Palisades. If you want to experience very friendly people in a ral neighborhood setting without any pretense then a Bronx pub would be the perfect setting. Mike is wrong about the Bronx. If you want actual names and addresses e-mail back.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Merilee

That should be real, not ral.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:47 AM
Dugan

Merilee is right on the money about the Bronx and the pubs. I recommend John Mulligan's Fireside Pub, Aqueduct North, or The Quay's all on Katonah Avenue. Riverdale Steakhouse is another good bet. If you feel adventurous head over the border into Yonkers where there are tons of real great pubs with loads of friendly people. There's Tara Tavern, Durty Nelly's, Fibber McGee's, and Cornyn's. Man don't let one person put a negative spin, and a wrong one at that, on what could be a great time for you.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:46 AM
Joey

There's always alot of posts on this site about how bad it is to stereotype people. I guess the same thing goes for places. According to Mike, the Bronx is not a safe place even though he admitted to not knowing anything about the pub scene. As a former Bronxite who still visits family and friends there I just want to say that it's not what was depicted in Paul Newman's movie Fort Apache. That was just one area anyway, and for a long time now it's been called Little House on the Prairie. Throggs Neck is a nice area and you get a great view of the TN bridge and Long Island sound. Country Club area of Pelham Bay by the park is nice. City Island is still quaint and there are loads of great restaurants there. Pelham Bay Parkway (with its grassy areas that are still used for sunbathing and picnicking) and Morris Park Avenue areas have still been able to maintain their family neighborhood status. Kingsbridge is good and Riverdale is probably one of most beautiful neighborhoods in the borough. I have no doubt that Brooklyn has its share Fort Apache neighborhoods.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:50 AM
jan-erik

Hi to you all.thanks for all the information you have been giving me.i have been to nyc 5-6 times but i have always beeen on manhatten, so i want to see some other parts of the great city, so what you are telling me is great news to my ears,so im going to take a trip up to bronx this time, and perhaps brooklyn to, and to merilee, if you want
to give adresses and more tips i will be glad for that.ones agian thank for all help.

jan-erik

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:36 AM
Mike

Dugan, just because I don't know the pub scene in the Bronx doesn't mean that I don't know anything about the Bronx. I'm sure it has some great neighborhoods but I'd take the Brooklyn neighborhoods with the easiest access from Manhattan over the Bronx neighborhoods with easiest access from Manhattan any day. If he really wants to see the Bronx, that's cool-I'm glad you gave some suggestions, I just think Brooklyn is an easier step up for someone only familiar with the City to explore the outer boroughs. I think the Bronx Chanber of Commerce has some job openings...

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:46 AM
Travolta

For some good Italian food and retro-atmosphere, visit the Bay Ridge area of Brooklyn (right at the foot of the Verrazano Bridge). The 'Wicked Monk' is a fun pub. Very down-to-earth crowd.

'Saturday Night Fever' was filmed in Bay Ridge, and the area maintains some of that '70s feeling.

As Travolta said in the movie, "I'm the best dancer in Bay Ridge".

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:50 AM
Jim

Jan-Erik,
I'm not familiar enough with the Bronx to make recommendations, but I lived in Brooklyn for five years and I would suggest exploring Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Heights. You could take the F train to Carroll Street, have lunch or a drink on Smith Street, then walk through a really nice neighborhood of old brownstones in Cobble Hill and finish up along the promenade in Brooklyn Heights. Have fun!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:23 AM
jan-erik

hi. thanks again for all the respons you all have given me..me and my friend are just staying 9 nights in nyc, so we cant see everything, but we will try.
like i said before, i have just been to manhatten, but the city is so big thats why i want to see some more of it than just manhatten, but i think we have time to see bronx, and brooklyn this time, or at least some of it...

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:49 AM
Dugan

Hey Mike I just heard that the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce has some job openings also. The #'s 4, 6, 1 and 9 lines (depending on what part of the Bronx you're going to) give easy access from Manhattan to the Bronx and along the way there's some great sightseeing when the trains run outside.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:46 AM
Tori

If you're looking to soak up local flavor in a diverse neighborhood then skip the yuppified areas of Brooklyn. I've lived in Brooklyn Heights for 11 years and it is a nice place to live, but I'm thinking from your post you want to experience a different side of the city. I don't mean you should venture into a dangerous area. I mean something more like sections of Bay Ridge or even Brighton Beach where there's a huge population of Russians. There are some very interesting clubs there.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:08 AM
jan-erik

hi tori.yes your right, i want to see a different side of the city, but at the same time i dont want to go to the most
dangerous ares.so thats wy i try to find out so much i can here at fodors, and the respons has been very good i think, and brighton beach as you mention sounds interesting, so thanks for your help, and if you have som name
and adress to ok places in brighton beach, or other neighborhoods, i will be glad if you can give them to me.
thanks again.

jan-erik

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:31 AM
Merilee

Jan-Erik, you can take the #1 train from the major tourist areas in the city such as 34th St., 42nd St. Time Square, 59th St. Columbus Circle, or 66th St. Lincoln Center. It runs from South Ferry to Van Cortlandt Park and West 242nd St. in the Bronx. Anyway, you can take this train to the last stop and exit onto Broadway. Once there you can continue walking to West 261st St. Between these 19 blocks you will pass so many local pubs. Some that come to mind are Dorley & Malone's, Landsdowne Rugby, and Mayo Inn. Manhattan College is right in the vicinity so alot of them are frequented by college students. You can also exit the train at West 231st Street and Broadway and begin from there. Between 231st and 238th Streets there are alot of pubs that the cops from the 50th precint go to along with the firemen from Bailey Avenue. Station House Bar, Liffy's, Keenan's and Mulgriff Tavern. It's easy on, easy off for train travel. Up the hill on Riverdale Avenue are a few more places such as Riverdale Steak House, Hudson's, and Greentree.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:47 AM
Rachel

Had one of the best nights at bars in the Bronx. Went to one right at the bottom of the steps leading from the subway, and ended up leaving there about 4 a.m. with some Irish guys we had met. They took us, 3 women and my husband, also originally from Ireland, to another bar where we three women were the only Americans. It was one of those places that looks like a house from the outside, with no signs, but inside was a bar full of people. We stayed there until 9 a.m. when we finally faded.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:58 AM
cool

jan-erik, what about checking out the grand concourse and riverdale in the bronx. The grand concourse was the 5th avenue of the bronx and lined with beautiful art deco buildings and riverdale is like a leafy suburb with big old mansions.

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Grand Concourse is basically residential, not commercial.