Reload this Page >

Need ideas for Hawaii

Search

Need ideas for Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 12:03 PM
alyssa

Need ideas for Hawaii

Planning to visit Hawaii sometime next year. Can anyone offer advice on which islands to visit, things to do, and the best time of year to visit? What's the approximate price for airfare from NYC? Thanks.

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 01:34 PM
Rick

Airfare from NYC to oahu in mid feb will run around $800 according to travalocity best fare quote..Around $950 to outer islands..each..
Depending on how long your going for,,
I would maybe spend a day MAX on Oahu,,just to catch pearl Harbor, and check out Waikiki,just to say you did,,,
But spend the rest on the outer islands...IMO Kauai is by far the most scenic, followed by maui..The big island is nice also, but nothing compared to the others..
And really not a BAD time to go surf a little bigger in the winter, but temp stays about the same all year..
If your into snorkeling or scuba, e mail me and i can tell you good spots on maui ...and also what else to do on Maui,,or Kauai
Aloha

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 08:03 PM
Noah

I decided to copy a reply I posted on the rec.travel.usa-canada newsgroup:

"I am also on the E. Coast, in NYC , and I hope to go to Hawaii one day. One of the biggest obstacles is the very long trip from the E. Coast: around 6 hrs. to California and then another five hours or so to Hawaii plus the strain of the time-differences. I have also seen non-stop flights available from Newark, NJ for a much higher price but it is obviously a very long flight.

What seems to me like the best way to do it is to stay in California (or whatever changeover city you would stop at) for at least a day or two (perhaps even only overnight if you can't afford any more time) before continuing on to Hawaii. This seems like it would disrupt your body's normal rhythms and cycles less. Ideally, I would like to combine a trip to Hawaii with at least a short trip to California.

My first suggestion to you is the Frommer's website:

http://www.frommers.com which has a lot of useful information and lists accomodations in every price-range.

I suggest you subscribe to their daily email newsletter which tells you about a lot of good deals.

Kauai appeals to me the most. It is supposed to be the most lush of the islands and not at all overdeveloped. I saw several 'budget' accomodations on Kauai listed on frommers.com which looked nice.

The official tourism website is: http://www.gohawaii.com

See my post of travel url's for more Hawaii websites.

Best wishes and please do keep us updated!

Aloha!"

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 08:34 AM
Jon

Maui is the best. Oahu is too crowded, so only spend a couple days there if you want to see Pearl Harbor and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Kauai doesn't have enough to do or enough great restaruants, so only need about 3 days there to see Wimea canyon and Fern Grotto. All the rest of your time (ten days would be good) you should spend on Maui. Maui has LOADS of great scenery to see, loads of activities, loads of WONDERFUL restaurants.

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 11:09 AM
Jim

Stop by http://www.herehugo.com and check out all of the information that we have on Hawaii.

While your there take a look at some of the Travel Specials we have in our Travel Center.

Jim;HereHuGo.com
The Travel Search Engine
http://www.herehugo.com

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 03:17 PM
Sandy

Aloha Alyssa,
I agree. Don't plan to spend many days on Oahu. The real beauty of Hawaii is in the other islands. We like Maui best and would choose it if we could only see one island. It has a nice mix of fun things to do and beautiful places to relax. Kaui is beautiful but we found we quickly ran out of things we wanted to see and do there. Don't sell the Big Island short. It is the only one on which you can see an active volcano. We spent a week on the B.I. last January and wished we had arranged for more time there. Which ever you choose you are sure to have a wonderful time. Hawaii is truely a paradise.

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 04:05 PM
Ellie

Let's face facts - your first trip to Hawaii, it doesn't matter where you go. It's all beautiful and amazing. You'll find it fascinating no matter what island your on!

I would recommend spending at least 2 weeks. Since you are traveling so far, I would spend the first day or 2 getting used to the time change in Oahu. Oahu can be great, just head away from Wakiki & Honolulu (after Pearl Harbor). You can hit beaches where you'll be nearly alone. Sunset Beach is the home of the Bonsai Pipeline and world class surfing. It's fun just to watch the surfers. Watch the surf at Sunset Beach, there are strong rip tides. You can walk to the top of Diamond Head, the view is wonderful. Try it at sunrise. Bring a flashlight, as you walk through a small tunnel. Do you shopping on Oahu, the prices are the best compared to the other islands.

I prefer Maui and the Big Island next. There's great hiking on all the islands. BI has the volcano's, lava tubes and black sand beaches. The landscape is most diverse on the BI. Kona is beautiful. On Maui you can rent bikes and ride down the Haleakala Crater. I would stay in Lahaina. Helicopter rides are cool to see all the waterfalls you can't drive or hike to. On Kauai the Waimea Canyon is beautiful.

Feb is whale watching season. Sept is the hottest month - but the weather is still great! Aloha!