need ideas for family reunion lodging

Aug 22nd, 1999, 07:19 AM
Margaret Bancroft

need ideas for family reunion lodging

We are planning a family reunion for summer 2000, probably June. 9 adults and 11 children ages 2-11 need lodging. We did this at Lake Tahoe June 1998 at a 6 bedroom home and it worked beautifully. Keep in mind that we are on a limited budget. Would appreciate ideas for destinations and lodging.

Aug 24th, 1999, 06:49 PM
Beth

Margaret, are you considering northern Michigan? I would recommend finding a big cottage on Walloon Lake. It's just beautiful. I've never done this but I know people who have and they say it's wonderful. "Hemingway slept there" - really! Try contacting the Petoskey, MI Chamber of Commerce, and they could probably hook you up with a referral service. I can think of lots of other good spots "up north" (golf resorts w/ family activities, Machinac Island), but in keeping with a limited budget, this would be a great way to spend a week. If you have interest in the other options I mentioned, feel free to email me.

Aug 26th, 1999, 10:30 AM
Diane

Margaret--the YMCA of the Rockies at Snow Mountain Ranch has large cabins. There may also be two cabins next to each other if one wouldn't be enough. The ranch is between Granby and Winter Park, an hour or so outside Denver. We have also done multi-family vacations at Roaring River State Park in southwest Missouri(800-334-6946, or directly to the lodge at 417/847-2330). We would reserve connecting duplexes. Roaring River is really for those who love to trout fish, but there is also a nature program for kids, fish hatchery, hiking trails, pool, evening nature programs (we went out owl calling one night), and Silver Dollar City (and Branson) is about an hour away. We used to go there every year and the kids always enjoyed it--it is easy for the kids to fish. Neither of these places has luxury accomodations, but the price may be right. If you have a week to spend, you might consider a dude ranch in Colorado. Contact the Colorado Dude Ranch Association for their listing of members. You will need to carefully check these out, because at some ranches, kids and adults are separated from after breakfast until dinner time and some are more structured than others. We stayed at a ranch--Rainbow Trout Ranch in Antonito, Colorado, where you could be with your kids all day or not depending on what you wanted to do that day and the kind of horseback riding trip you took each day was flexible--you could take a slow, medium or fast ride--meaning the pace of your horse. There were programs for kids under 5, 6-11 and a teen program. Everyone participated in a "rodeo" at the end. When we were there, there were families back for their second, fifth and even tenth year. There was also a side trip to Taos, New Mexico for white water rafting on the Rio Grande.

Aug 27th, 1999, 07:17 PM
Maureen

We are members of Snow Mountain Ranch, YMCA of the Rockies. It is a beautiful place with lots of family activities: indoor rollerskating/blading, miniature golf, horses, hiking in unbeatable scenery, golf at Pole Creek next door, good grill for snacks and quick meals, crafts center for kids, lending library, nature talks, gift shop, etc. They have built two nice large lodges especially for family reunions, but they book up at least a year in advance. There are lots of other cabins all over their property, too. It's a great place for families.

Sep 1st, 1999, 11:53 AM
R. Willson

I'm interested in that 6 bedroom house you had in Lake Tahoe for your last family reunion. Is it available to anyone or do you have an "in". Thanks RW

Jan 22nd, 2000, 05:42 AM
Heidi

Have you considered Galveston? It's a fun town with lots to do and they have literally hundreds of beach homes for rent. We have a large group that we travel with and we always rent a home right on the beach. There are good restaurants and quite a bit to do very close.

Jan 29th, 2000, 05:34 PM
robin palmer

A magical place! Extremely reasonable! Circle A Ranch, Cuba, New Mexico is a 200 yr old spanish hacienda northern N.M. style located on 200 acres boardered on three sides by forest service wilderness.
There you will find horses, a swimming lake, and walks and hikes through magical fairy lands and ponderosa pines.
Sleeping accommodations range from a master suite with bath to smaller bedrooms and then bunkrooms for children with shared baths.
There is a large communal kitchen and dining room and a large inviting living room with a huge fireplace and a red piano.
A large flagstone terrace overlooks the iris strewn lawn and apple orchard.

Jan 29th, 2000, 05:47 PM
sgorces

I don't know if you are looking for a particular region, but I would suggest Fort Worden State Park near Port Townsend, Washington. The Park is an old military installation on the Straight of Juan de Fuca. There are wonderful officers homes of various sizes for rent. The homes are simple and reasonably priced. The vast grounds have plenty to offer. Outside the homes is a huge flat grass field formerly used for assembly. On the wooded uplands a short walk away lies the old gun emplacements, a huge concrete bunker with fabulous views and dark,mysterious rooms and corridors for kids to run around in. The beach is wild and marvelous. The nearby town of Port Townsend offers a main shopping street and variety of restaurants. This area lies about two hours from Seattle-Tacoma airport, after a short, fun car ferry crossing. June can be a bit damp in these parts, but July is usually splendid. Reservations may be a challenge.