Need help with Vermont destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to go to Vermont to see the fall foliage. We would like to go as close to the peak time as possible. We would like to see stereotypical quaint little towns and farms, and covered bridges. We like the outdoors, and do not care to shop. We appreciate and will spend for really good food, but would rather eat in than waste money on mediocrity. We do not care for touristy places. In short, we want to see the best of Vermont, but without all the people. Is this possible? If so, where and when to go?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM

where are you coming from and where will you be driving from/to ....as airport? local adjoining state?
I love mid-vermont; the Vergennes, Middlebury, Bristol / Addison County area which gives you the Green Mountains, lakes, streams, Lake Champlain, etc. Check out the web site midvermont.com and see if that location appeals to you.

On the drive from Middlebury to Burlington for instance, which you could easily to in a day, you could see the Sheldon Museum, a covered bridge, mountains, fields, Lake Champlain, some great restaurants, quaint towns - or think of the Woodstock area - there is also a foliage driving tour link on that web site (look at the bottom of the pages)

It's a lovely area of Vermont, and depending on where you are driving from, there are several ways to enter/exit the area which would give you plenty of quaint towns, lovely areas to walk in and enjoy beautiful views, little galleries and interesting stops (blacksmiths, artists, etc) if you felt like it.

I particularly enjoy the drive from White River Junction to Middlebury via 'the mountain road' which has a lot of charm and lovely views of the mountains particularly if foliage is out - hard to tell you which way to get there and back not knowing where you are coming from though.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Try Manchester Center or Manchester Village. Really beautiful.
http://www.manchestervermont.net/

Debi
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:55 AM

First, peak time is going to depend on what part of Vermont you are visiting. Purchase a Vermont Atlas and Gazetteer published by DeLorme. It identifies the location of most roads, covered bridges, waterfalls, fishing spots, etc. Last spring my husband wanted to go to Woodstock so I used the internet to locate a perenniel plant nursery. Woodstock is a very popular tourist destination and, although I've enjoyed it in the past, our brunch at Bentley's was very mediocre (the diner in Littleton NH has much better roast beef hash) and I didn't enjoy the visit. BUT the focus on tourism was probably irritating because the perenniel farm was a very lovely little farm on a dirt road. We had used the atlas to find it and then used it to take another dirt road to Woodstock. This took us through beautiful horse country.
My suggestion would be to focus on something you would like to do, such as visit places that make and sell local cheese to explore a section of VT. My husband likes to attend antique tractor events. I'd also sugget you pick a place in central VT for the first week in October. If foliage is early you can do day trips south, if it's late head north. You might look for orchards that grow antique apples for a great selection of superior fruit. For northern VT I would recommend a day trip north to south in the Champlain Islands ending with a good lunch or supper in Burlington. Simon Pierce in Quechee is very popular and on the expensive side. You should visit even if you just see the building, read about the hydro electric power they use and watch the glassblowers and potters. I live in New England. There's plenty of places to go for beautiful scenery without all the people because so few people travel the back roads. One time we searched out a place in NH where they made their own ice cream. We encountered a black bear and thought we would have to use 4 wheel drive when the road started getting rough. We bought a pint of ice cream (on the honor system) at this little dairy/creamery and sat on a bench in their garden to enjoy it. There might have been two other cars while we were there. But you need the atlas or you'll have no idea where you are.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:33 AM
bm

It definately depends on when you plan on coming...if late September or early October, I'd suggest the Northeast Kingdom. Many say this is the last of the "real Vermont" that is left. It's not overrun with tourists, and it's really beautiful. Lyndon and Montgomery have lots of covered bridges. Lake Willoughby is gorgeous.There is a corn maze in Noth Danville that is really fun and has really nice views. If it's a nice day you can take the tram up to the top of Jay Peak. I'd suggest looking in/around East Burke for accommodations.
If you come in October, I second the Addison County suggestion from above. Don't really have anything to add to that!!
The places to avoid if you want to avoid the masses are Stowe, Woodstock, and Manchester. All are "tourist" towns and get REALLY crowded during foliage season.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:35 AM
bm

PS regarding farms. There are plenty all around the state. Orleans County (in the Northeast Kingdom) and Addison County are the biggest farming areas in the state.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Before I checked this I posted a message about possibly going from Albany to the Stowe area during the last week of September. I think I'll scratch Stowe to stay out of the touristy places. The Northeast Kingdom sounds like our kind of area. Keep the suggestions coming!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:02 AM
z

The Stowe area is too beautiful to be scratched from your itinerary. Don't base your decission on one person's opinion. You take a drive two-three miles from Stowe and all crowds are gone. Last week of Septmeber is too early, go first week of October. How many days you have?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking of going for a long weekend from 9/27 thru 10/1. We were concerned that the next weekend, Columbus Day weekend, would be too busy. Thoughts, anyone? We are thinking of exploring that whole area North of Montpelier.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Unfortunately in New England, and even in Vermont, you are never guaranteed when the foliage will be great - too many things in teh mix - weather, rain, day and night temperatures, sugar in leaves, and one bad rain/wind storm can also take it all away - usually you are best planning for late September into early first weeks of October...but not always.

here is a tiny url link to a good fall foliage web
http://tinyurl.com/hqcvn

it might help you plan - then also plan on other things you will see too - so you won't be disappointed if foliage isn't at peak - and remember the further north, the earlier the peak - usually.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 02:26 AM

I think that might be a good weekend for that far north. A friend owns a vacation home in northern NH and swore that the colors can peak overnight. I'm surprised by this because to me fall is a gradual change over several weeks. Different trees change at different times. We visited Stowe on the 3rd weekend in Sept one year. Expect a lot of traffic on Rt 100 on the way to Stowe, there's a lot of shops and places to stop such as Ben & Jerry's factory tour. Fun to have a wine tasting a the store next to Cold Hollow Cider, fun to try cheeses at another place. It was much quieter around Cabot however where we also took the tour.
If you don't find color is this area you could do a trip over to NH's White Mountains where there should be color because of higher elevations. I would still visit Stowe and Rt 100 but I would also explore some of those dirt roads.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM

You just never know. We had a terrible foliage last year in Vermont. Basically no colors, all the trees turned yellow. We didn't have a hard frost so I hope thats the only reason we didn't have a foliage. Would hate to think its a global warming thing.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I live in the Burlington are and I love the Mad River Valley near Sugarbush. Its a very peaceful place and not overrun with tourists. Good walking.If you we're going to be spending time in
Addison county you could drive from Bristol, through Licoln (up,up,up) and down to the Mad River Valley. By the way if you are near Bristol, check out the rapids right out of town, stunning scenery. A great place to sit and picnic or even go in if you have the guts. I also love the Bobcat Cafe in Bristol. A great place to eat in the Mad River Valley is American Flatbread in Waitsfield-great pizza in a barn although its not open everyday . I'm not a Big Stowe fan and I've never had good food there. If you're near Stowe I'd eat at the Alchemist Brewery Pub in Waterbury. Really good food and cheap. Try the Belgian style Fries

And btw. You know the view you have of little towns with clean village greens and white steeples. There are less of those towns in Vermont than you think.

BTW, its a relatively short ride to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. A great walk by the Flume in Franconia Notch and a great breakfast place called Polly's Pancake House in Sugar Hill NH. Stunning scenery in this area.