need help with shore excursions

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with shore excursions

My husband and I are going on NCL Pearl to Alaska round trip from Seattle in May, 2007 We need suggestions for shore excursions. We want a flight trip...helicopter vs. plane? What is better? What about the White Pass railroad? Is there anything else that is a must? We first planned this trip shortly after Katrina and couldn't make it . We were still evacuated and couldn't even get home, so we really want to make this trip special. BudgetQueen are you out there?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM

This may be helpful -

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/article.cfm?ID=91
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:11 AM

We did the Helicopter Glacier landing which great. The views are amazing from the sky! I haven't done a plane so I cant compare.
We also did the White Pass RR. This was one of our favorite excursions. Be sure to take your binoculars as we managed to get a peak at some mountain goats!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:30 AM

We are in the same position - don't want to spend what the cruise ships are asking. We are looking at the trolley tours in town - http://www.ketchikantrolleytours.com/ at $30/$32 per person and maybe the lumberjack show (although that's a bit hokey)

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:08 AM

Although I went a couple of years ago we arranged our excursions independently not through the cruiseline.

Our favorite excursion was the whale watch with Orca Enterprises/Capt. Larry during which we saw bald eagles, sea lions, orcas and humpbacks (including mother and calf) - it was fantastic.

The second excursion that we did was horseback riding in the Yukon. I forget the name of the company but the guide was Joni and we had a great time there also. We are novices on horseback and the trail ride was just right and scenery was beautiful.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your advice. Will try the helicoptor glacier trip in Juneau. What do you think about Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer trip by boat ? Would love another flight tour but it gets expensive.