Need help with one week in Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a last minute trip to the Grand Canyon area June 10-17. I need some help in fine tuning my itinerary. I've booked accommodation everywhere, except for GC north rim where it's full and Phoenix, which I'm working on. Any suggestions of what to do instead of north rim since I don't have place to stay, is it worth driving in? How long is the drive in (I did it once many years ago and thought it was a long way...)? We are 2 adults and 2 kids (aged 15 and 12). I am the only one who's been to the GC before. I wish we had more time, but we don't so I had to take what I could get. All comments appreciated.

Wed. June 10 Arrive Phoenix, Rent a car. Stay in Phoenix

Thurs. June 11 ~ 4 to 5 hour drive to Grand Canyon South Rim Village
Drive through Sunset Crater Volcano or Sedona Parks on way

Buy “America the Beautiful” NPS Annual Pass - Cost $80.

Stay: Yavapai Lodge Hotel

Fri. June 12 Drive to Page, AZ in a.m. How long is the drive? Stop at view points as we head east.

Raft float excursion: Colorado River Discovery, Page, AZ, Half day: 1p-6.30p

Stay: Courtyard Page at Lake Powell

Sat. June 13 Try to get tour of Antelope Canyon (can this be booked ahead?)
Drive to G.C. north rim
Stop at the Watchtower and go to the top
Visit Horseshoe Bend lookout

Stay: ?

Sun. June 14 Drive to Bryce: drive to the end and hike the Bristlecone Pine trail?
Maybe hike Queens Garden/Navajo Loop trail.

Stay: Bryce Canyon Lodge, have dinner at Bryce Lodge Dining room
(suggest something better? Xanterra was pushing this one...)

Mon. June 15 Up early to catch sunrise in Bryce at one of the viewpoints, then hike down into the main part of Bryce on one of the loop trails. Suggestions?

Drive to Zion (~1.5hrs. from Bryce): any easy hike ideas?

Stay: In park lodge is full, so I've booked at Zion Mountain Resort, near Mt. Carmel. Would staying somewhere else be better?

Tues. June 16 Stop by St. George Dinosaur Discovery site. Is this worth it?

Would definitely like to do Hoover Dam Tour. Any idea how long a drive from Zion?

Drive to Vegas. Stay: Bally’s (got a really good price!!!)

Wed. June 17 Depart Las Vegas, NV 11:40 AM
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM

If you really want to do north rim, you will probably be able to find a place to stay in Kanab, about an hour and a half from NP. On your way up to south rim from Phoenix, Montezuma's Castle would be a neat place to visit, close to i 17 and pick up the park pass there if you do stop in. Also If you do the morning float trip in Page, you will have time to visit upper Antelope Canyon in the afternoon. I know they say that noon is the time to be there, but we went at about 3 pm and I thought it was fantastic, and it was not as crowded as it would be at noon. I have a couple of pictures at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009 if you want to compare. The drive from Zion to Vegas is about 3 hours and from Vegas to Hoover is an hour or so but traffic can make a huge difference.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Some random comments on the Q's I can sorta answer:

Drive to Page, AZ in a.m. How long is the drive?

Couple of hours. Not bad.

Try to get tour of Antelope Canyon (can this be booked ahead?)

You can just drive to the parking lot and arrange this, no problem, no limits on the number of people doing it. Just head for the large powerplant smokestacks visible from Page. Upper section is best mid-day, say 11 AM - 1 PM. Lower section (other side of the road) is good all day.

I agree with the suggestion to stay in Kanab if you don't luck into a NR cancellation.

Bryce Canyon Lodge, have dinner at Bryce Lodge Dining room
(suggest something better? Xanterra was pushing this one...

The lodge is better for dinner than Rubys, in my opinion. Not many options available.

In park lodge is full, so I've booked at Zion Mountain Resort, near Mt. Carmel. Would staying somewhere else be better?

I think Springdale is better. Closer to the Zion valley entrance and with some interesting shops etc. I think we stayed at a nice Best Western in Springdale. Mt. Carmel is a bit isolated for my tastes.
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for tips! I don't see us making an early morning raft trip since we'll be staying at the Yavapai the night before...So we'll probably be doing Antelope Canyon in the morning on the 13th, driving to the north rim after. Do you know about how long a drive it is to the rim? I'll look into a place to stay in Kanab.

Several times I've read about traffic. Where will the traffic be? On the freeway or at the dam?
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

emalloy...nice photos!
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Definitely stay in Springdale instead of Mt. Carmel Junction for Zion. If you can manage 2 nights there, do so (maybe move Bryce into the night you have left open for GCNR). You kids will love the Zion Narrows hike (an dyou will too, I think).

There are lots of accomodations in Springdale from which to choose, including places with pools---a nice bonus in June.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM

It's about an hour and a half from Page to Kanab.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

How long a drive is it from Bryce to Springdale? Since we'll basically be in the car the entire week, I was hoping that by staying in places we wouldn't feel so rushed, and I keep reading recommendations that say staying in the park is better. We're not real morning people, jumping up at the crack of dawn. That Zion Narrows hike sounds great...
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:25 PM

As to traffic, sometimes there is a backup when you get near the dam depending on how security checks go. I haven't been for a couple of years so I don't know if the new bridge is open, if so that will reduce the traffic problems. If you leave Zion and get off i15 at either exit 93 or 75 you can take a ride on a two lane road that goes along Lake Mead and misses Vegas itself which can have lots of traffic. exit 75 takes you through Valley of Fire State Park which has some neat petroglyphs and some CCC cabins and is pretty but not as spectacular as some of the places you will have been to.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

what are CCC cabins? I recently read that the new bridge is to open in 2010. Thanks for tip of getting off i-15, I like that idea...
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Anybody been to St. George Dinosaur Discovery site? Is it worth stopping for?
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM

How long a drive is it from Bryce to Springdale?

Relatively short drive ... according to www.mapquest.com (which has accurate distances and slightly conservative drive times) it's 87 miles, estimated 1 hr 51 min drive time. This includes a slow, highly scenic stretch of driving thru the east section of Zion NP.

You'll pass the Mt. Carmel junction about 25 miles before you reach Springdale and then you'll thank us for recommending you not stay there
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM

CCC is the Civilian Conservation Corps, folks during the depression who were given work to do in parks etc. They worked building roads, bridges, developing public lands, etc and there are a couple of stone cabins they built and I think lived in while they developed some of the roads in Valley of Fire.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since you will be visiting the S. Rim Grand Canyon, I would pass on the north rim and add that night to Zion. One nighters will beat you up.

MY
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM

GoSeeIt,
I'd skip the North Rim and use the time in Bryce instead. The North Rim is wonderful but the views are much more limited and may not be worth your limited time and rushed schedule especially since you'll be seeing the South Rim anyways.
In Zion, the Canyon Overlook hike is short but really fun; your kids will like it. You pick up the trail right at the entrance to the tunnel at the East entrance. I would also strongly suggest you stay in Springdale where you'll have access to great lodging, dining and all other amenities in a very scenic little town right at the park entrance. There are lots of lodging choices and most are very nice.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

I'm really torn about missing the north rim, it's so different from the south rim. I was thinking it would be nice for my kids to see it...
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

okay, I think I am being swayed to skip north rim. Two nights in same place might actually be nice...
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Drive into North Rim is a good hour from Jacob Lake and possibly longer if you end up behind a slow moving vehicle.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 15 year old daughter was totally board with our whole Zion-Bryce-North Rim trip last year. This may not pertain to your kids, but keep this in mind.

MY
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

I think my kids will be okay with it, but in the back of my mind I was worried the drive into the north rim might be too long/dull...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -