Reload this Page >

Need help with locations in Atlanta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:19 AM
chris

I am relocating to Atlanta in June and have been apartment hunting. I am a 30 year old proffessional male, very single and am looking for an area of town. I have narrowed it down to about 3 or 4 apartment complexes in each of three areas. I want a modern apartment complex which has some amenities but less than $900/month for 1 bedroom.

I know Atlanta traffic is bad (I live in No. Virginia/DC area so I understand) Currently looking at complexes just inside perimeter at intersection of I-75/285 on northwest side, I think this is Vinings? Second location is Peachtree Dunwoody Road and 285, again right at Perimeter near Perimeter Square Mall. Third location would be to the east at the intersection of I-78/285 off N. Druid Hills Road.

Which of these three locations has the most to offer, is a nice area, lots to do, lots of singles my age (not full of families), very safe, and a relatively "easy" commute to downtown. Have I missed any nicer areas I should have looked at?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:22 AM
kate

Highly recommend the Vinnings area. Centrally located, lots of singles. You can easily obtain a 1 br for less than $900---remember you can negotiate with the leasing agents--we did. Good luck.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:49 AM
lisa

I also like the Vinings area and its a quick shot to Midtown or downtown.

Second choice would be North Druid Hills area. Close to Emory, so lots of young people there, and a nice neighborhood. A little more crime though, I think.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:17 AM
TCW

The east side toward Emory is much more expensive and I think you would b ehard pressed to find a reasonable size 800 sqft. apartment under $900. Post Briarcliff is a nice complex in that area. My girlfriend lives there with a roomate. I belive studios run in the $850 range adn one bdr in the $950 and up category.

I think the Sany Springs/Dunwoody area is your best bet. The proximity to the Perimeter Mall is a defeinite plus.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:29 AM
Topper

Topping!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
chris

Anyone else care to comment?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Brian

Have you looked outside the perimeter. It is much cheaper and there are still many young people.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Chris

Thought I would give it one more bump.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:38 PM
T.M.

A friend of mine from D.C. just moved here and he asked me the same questions. As I am in the same age range (but female), maybe I can help.

You've mentioned three good areas for singles. I like all of them. I live closest to Vinings and I agree that it is a great area. It isn't as crowded and expensive (yet) as Virginia/Highlands. It also has New York Pizza Exchange, one of my favorite hang outs. Plenty of singles in that area, too. It's also not far from the 11-mile Silver Comet trail for biking/skating/running.

The N. Druid Hills area is where my friend eventually moved and he loves it. He pays $670 for a one bedroom in a pretty nice complex. It's near all the hangouts he loves. I think he lives in a Post property. It is definitely the hot area right now. I don't think it is as safe as Vinings but it's still great.

The Peachtree-Dunwoody area caters more to families, in my opinion. I also think its a bit too big for its britches at times. But that's just my opnion. It's also rather pricey. I like shopping at Perimeter Mall but that's about it.

As for me, I live in Smyrna, which is only minutes from Vinings. It isn't quite as hip but my roommate and I pay $875 for a two bedroom and it takes me 20 minutes to get to my job downtown. We really like it.

Good luck, Chris!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Judy

Hi Chris, my son lives in Mt. Vernon Place(off Mt.Vernon rd) and likes it very much. Good security, great amenities, and ability to walk to all kinds of stores a nd shops and restaurants.
FYI, Judy

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Chris

Thanks guys keep the info coming. I am going in 3 weeks to take a final look at about 3 properties and sign my lease. Would love any more info on the areas.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Paige

My mother lived in an apt. complex near Vinings. It was on the Chattahoochee (sp) River. I believe the name was River Park. She was paying around $750.00 for a one bedroom when she moved out last spring. I liked the complex, it was older and quite, had great trees and a pathway down to the public recreation area of the river. The location seemed really convenient to me when I visited.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:05 AM
J T Kirk

I prefer the Dunwoody area over the Vinings area, but I'm older and not into club hopping. I think Dunwoody is more sedate, more residential, more "suburbia." But it's just as convenient to midtown and downtown via 400 (a toll road, mind you).

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:14 PM
sol

I think you would like the area of Druid Hills. Close to Emory, Decatur,
Lenox, downtown Atlanta, Piedmont Park,
and many more attractions. The traffic is horrendous around Vinnings, Perimeter, Dunwoody....

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:10 PM
crys

Where will you be working, and how will you be getting there? If you're working downtown and driving, the area near Druid Hills might be your best bet. The traffic out further can be a nightmare. I am single, and lived in ATL for 10 years. I lived in-town and loved it, but I hear prices are way up now. Nevertheless, you might consider looking for something in the Little Five Points area in-town. It's not an apt complex, but there's a great social scene in the area.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Bob Brown

Chris, I live in Athens, so fighting that traffic is nothing new to me either. I suggest strongly that you consider commute time to work in your selection. I know the DC traffic, too.
I don't miss it one bit!!
But you could easily extend your commute time by a huge factor by living outside the beltway.
Inside, you can dodge about on city streets to avoid the horrendous tieups on the "freeways".
Clogways would be a better term.

The situation is such that if I am forced to catch a flight at 7 AM, I spend the night in a motel because I fear that I would not be able to get to the airport on time unless I left my house before 5 AM.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Chris

I will be working downtown. I am used to a 1.5 hour each way commute by car from northern virginia into D.C. I would like to cut that time down but anything under 1 hour each way is fine and a blessing for me (I don't need a 20-30 min. commute). I prefer a large apartment complex type place with swimmining pool, clubhouse, fitness center etc. I was under the impression that all 3 places (Vinings, Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, and Druid Hills/Decatur) were all withing 1 hour of downtown but I may be wrong.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 03:20 AM
sol

If working downtown then...
your best bet is living in North Druid Hills, and the Lenox area. You will find apartment complexes with many of the ammenities you are looking for. The Atlanta traffic can get "old" after a while. The money you will be spending in gas "sitting in traffic" add to your rent and find a lovely place downtown....

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:27 AM
chris

I think I have found a good compromise. There are 3 great apartment complexes I have found (Waterford Place, Fountain Lake, and Lexington Glen. All three are on the edge of Buckhead and Sandy Springs. This area is inside the perimeter about 1 mile and is alond Roswell Road. If seems that roswell Road in general is a definite hub for many apartments and that this area would be convenient to dowtown (inside perimeter), to shopping at perimeter as well as being centrally located. My question now is wha tis the Rowell Road area like? Are there many restaurants and stores? Is this considered a "nice" area of town. Thank you in addvance for the commentary.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:44 AM
T.M.

Chris:

Just saw your message. You are right in guessing that Roswell Road is definitely a hub of apartment buildings.

Roswell Road is kind of a hodgepodge, really. Some of it is really nice and some of it isn't. But none of it is dangerous. I will tell you that it can often get congested. Especially during the summer when people are going to Chastain for concerts.

The nice thing about that area is that you're amid some very nice neighborhoods/restaurants and have access to Ga. 400.

Truly, the best thing for you to do is to come down and see it for yourself. To drive around and get a feel for it. Which I'm sure you'll do soon.

Oh, I almost forgot. When you do come, be sure to try out the new Five Seasons Brew Pub on Roswell Road (right before it hits 285). It's in the Prado shopping center and my roommate says it is fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -