Need help with Colorado vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (early 60's) will be taking a trip for perhaps a week or more in August. We have air tickets that expire August 31st and I have never been to Colorado. We would like to see some sights and get a feel for Colorado. I like to be by the water and my husband loves to golf. We do not looking forward to vacationing in too much heat. For example we went to Arizona in April for 12 days and split our time first half heavy duty sightseeing and last half golf/relaxation. So my question is--if you had a week to spend in Colorado considering our age and likes--how would you go about it? H
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM

First question - do you want to stay in one place for the whole week, or do you want to move around some?

You might consider Estes Park/Grand Lake/Rocky Mountain National Park, Dillon/Silverthorne/Frisco, Leadville/Salida/Collegiate Mountains area, or Aspen/Steamboat/Vail. I know that is pretty broad, but it gives you some places to start looking. Good luck!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

Colorado has so much diversity that you have lots of options. If it were me I would plant myself in Summit County. I would rent a condo. Check out www.vrbo.com. There are golfcourses in Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone, and Silverthorne. Lake Dillon would provide you with your water requirement. There are also rivers everywhere. From there you can take daytrips to Vail, Glenwood Springs, Aspen, RMNP, Georgetown (ride the steam train). As for not hot - it seldom gets over 75. Also, there are lots of great places to dine.

Good luck with your plans!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

No we would be happy to spend a couple of days each here and there along the way. Thanks for your tips--keep em coming! H
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

And your suggestion of a stay in a condo make great sense too--providing our day trips wouldn't mean too much driving! H
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Just rebooting this hoping for more ideas! H
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:20 AM

I would do a search for previous posts on Colorado. There has been lots of info for summer trips.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:24 AM

I'd spend the week staying in Vail. There is plenty to do there and in Beaver Creek, and you can drive to many places from there for day trips. Definitely take a trip to Aspen (you could even do an overnight there)--lots of great shops, golf, restaurants. And the drive is very scenic between the two.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Steamboat Springs is an incredible place. Small town atmosphere with the advantages of a resort destination - great restaurants, etc. The Yampa River runs right through the town; it is fed by several large creeks that run through various neighborhoods. There is a small nine-hole course on the river as well as Haymaker - an 18 hole public links-style course - and the Sheraton course that runs around small rises and a creek. Gorgeous views of the Flat Top Mountains (sunrise on the Flat Tops not to be missed). Ask for a view of Emerald Mountain for the sunsets. August can be hot-80s to 90s during the day but 40s/50s at night. Several working ranches are in the area - try a wagon ride dinner or horse back dinner ride. Strawberry Park hot springs are in a beautiful natural setting.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Vail and Aspen are nice to see but I enjoy Estes Park more. More laid-back, down-to earth, comfortable, less expensive.

Sue