Search

Need Help with 5 Day Trip to Colorado Starting In Denver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with 5 Day Trip to Colorado Starting In Denver

Hello,
I am visiting my children in Denver would like to spend 5 days starting on September 11th a Monday.
I first thought to travel to Mesa Verde but have canned that Idea. My next thought is to go to Glenwood Springs, The Maroon Bells ( hike some), either Black Canyon or great Sand Dune National Park, Salida (Buena Vista) then back to Denver. Maybe a stop at the Royal Gorge to walk over the bridge.

Can you suggest how much time I need in each place - and more importantly should I start the trip going south to Salida - great Sand Dunes and work around from there or start in Glenwood Springs?

I had 3 children who went to the University of Colorado in Boulder and have made many trips to the area and have taken day trips to RMNP and the outlying area many times - also Red Rocks - also skied breakenridge,vail,beaver creek,aspen,snowmass, a basin,keystone. Went to Colorado Springs, Idaho Springs, Glenwood Springs,Evergreen, Georgetown, some others.
But I have never been further south - south/west.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 03:46 AM

Dian, a lot of us answered you on this thread which you can access by clicking on your name.
I thought you had decided what to do but now I see no Mesa Verde. You have enough time to do that and it is a wonder of the world IMO.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ional-park.cfm
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 04:00 AM

I find Mesa Verde well worth the trip. The drive through Colorado to get to it is beautiful and you get to enjoy the drive.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 05:41 AM

You asked the exactly the same question a month ago with 20 plus answers. Did you not like the answers? What else can we do different?
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

It looks like I made a lot of you angry. Please understand, on my last thread many of you told me 5 days was not enough time to go to Mesa Verde with only driving around 4 hours a day. So I changed the entire trip!!
With the new agenda my husband would drive 3 1/2 hours to each destination.
Just wanted help with which "loop" would make more sense and if I had enough time for Black Canyon or go to the Sand Dunes.
I started a new thread because it's a whole new trip.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 05:43 PM

People on this site are always responsive to questions and provide a lot of personal experience and insight. On your last post, I was the first of many that advised that with your requirement of only driving 4 hours a day, your plan to see MV would not work in the time allotted. But you persisted through 23 responses with many people doing your google maps research for you. Now, the time and effort of many is thrown out the window. I, for one, say do your own research. Or, how about asking your 3 kids who live on CO? Sorry if this response sounds rude but you have taken advantage of everyone who has been kind enough to respond and it appears you have put forth little effort to find your own answers.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 02:24 AM

You are in luck if your husband can do an extra 10 minutes. The dunes are 3 hours 40 minutes from Denver.
Are you aware you can put questions in google and get the answer?
HOwever, the Black Canyon is 4 hours and 50 minutes so you'll have to stop somewhere before that. And of course, it is an entirely different direction. The map should really help you.
Do your children have any information for you?
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 05:53 AM

It didn't sound like a whole new trip. This is just not making any sense. Where did the husband come from? It was all "I" in the first and second question. Now a husband that will drive 3.5 hours - not four, 3.5. Is that in addition to the 4 hours that the OP will/can drive? Total of 7.5 hours? Get a map and put some pins in it. I would to help but this is not "Pin the tail on the donkey."
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank your for all your comments on how I should navigate this all on my own.
Picked apart everything.

Yes I can get driving times to each place but as I said I can't judge how much time to spend in each spot or whether to start tip at Glenwood Springs or Salida.

My children just moved to Denver one in March the other in July. They did not travel when they were in college - no car no money. They are now discovering Colorado all over again since 1997 to 2001. Long time ago.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 07:51 AM

Hi Diane-- you should have enough ideas now to decide. The hard thing about asking for travel advice is sometimes you get too much, and people seem to want to take control of your trip or judge your decisions.

We really enjoyed the Great Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde, but maybe the southern part of Colorado is going to require too much driving? Loved Glenwood Springs (if you are in fairly decent shape, consider Hanging Lake Trail). There's also Leadville-- if you haven't been and can handle high altitudes. I would say road tripping north of Denver would generally provide more options with less distances.

Since you haven't been in a while, everywhere will probably be a new experience--have fun!
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jayne your response is very helpful. Most appreciated.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I will never understand why anyone recommends Leadville.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Why not??? Bit of a hidden gem especially the Mineral Belt trail. Terrific example of an old mining town that hasn't been over ridden by condo developments.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 02:32 AM

I totally agree, fmpden. It is a neat little drive up to it also. And relatively close to Denver
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 02:34 AM

Something else Diane might like to do is visit Celestial seasonings in Boulder if they didn't do it while at the university. And shop on Pearl Street in denver. Also visit the new library and eat at Pallettes after visiting the Art Museum.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 07:03 AM

We just drove through Leadville. It's nothing to see, with ugly tailings on the hillsides. We find it to be sad and forlorn. We both wondered why anyone would recommend Leadville as a destination.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...lery/258892/23
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 09:12 AM

Good, then stay away and let others enjoy it. Assume you are familiar with the Mineral Belt Trail, Camp Hale, Colorado and Southern Rail, Tabor House. Lot of history in Leadville.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Whatever you say, fmpden. Of all the gorgeous places in Colorado, I won't be going to Leadville unless we drive through it on our way to/from someplace else.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Leadville is pretty interesting if you do more than just drive through, but to each his own.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Yes. To each their own. I'd just never recommend someone make Leadville their destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -