Search

Need help w/southern Utah itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2024, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help w/southern Utah itinerary

Dear fellow Fodor Travelers,
My husband and I are planning a late March one-week loop through southern Utah. We have been to Arches and Canyonlands before, but want to revisit a few favorite spots, as well as see some new territory. We'll spend 2-1/2 days in Moab, then head south to hike the Chesler Trail in the Needles district of Canyonlands. My original plan was to spend the next 3 nights in Blanding as a base to see some sights like Natural Bridges, Monument Valley, Goosenecks, Valley of the Gods, and Cedar Mesa.
My questions are: is Blanding a good base to see these places? (We have to drive back to SLC at the end of our trip, so I didn't want to stay too far south). Are some of the above-mentioned places more "must-see" than others? For example, I have read that IF one is passing by Natural Bridges, it's worthwhile, but not necessarily if it means going out of one's way. Is 2 full days enough time to see those places? I don't want to be rushing around. I keep trying to estimate driving distances on the map, but sometimes it's difficult to figure out the best routes.
Any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 06:42 PM

I would stay in Bluff to see those places. You could do Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods in one day. As for Cedar Mesa/Natural Bridges--do you want to see dwelling sights/granaries? or cool scenery? How far do you want to hike?

For Cedar Mesa--You could hike into Grand Gulch from teh Kane Gulch Ranger station to see some of the habitation sites--but it's a longer hike. You could get reservations to see Moonhouse which is truly amazing, but you will need an SUV to do that. Or you could see House on Fire which is easy to get to. But you would have just one day to hike.

On your way back to SLC (its a 6 hour drive from Bluff) go past Natural Bridges--you could look at some stuff from the rim there. Or--way better--stop off in Goblin Valley which is beyond cool!!

If you click on my user name, you will see a trip report for Bluff.
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 07:44 PM

I also prefer to stay in Bluff over Blanding. I have a trip report that covers southeastern UT A fall meander from TX to CA