Need Help, San Francisco Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Rebecca

Hello fellow travelers!
I'd appreciate any responses to this message!

I'm looking into hotels in San Francisco, I'd like to stay in a nice, safe area. After reading some of the posts here, I take it Union Square is a BAD area to stay in, I'd like advice on which of the following hotels is good... so far I'm looking into:

Omni San Francisco, in the Financial District
Holiday Inn Financial District
The Argent Hotel (right off Union Sq Area)
The Nikko Hotel (right off Union Sq Area)

I'm looking in the range of less than $200/night, so any advice would be great!

Also, how dependable are these online travel companies like:

realhotels.com
hotelres.com
hotellocators.com

I'm asking because they have really low rates on some of these 4 star hotels.

THANK YOU!!
Vanessa

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Parrot Mom

If your looking at the Nikko, less than a block away is the Andrews Hotel, a boutique little place of 40 or 44 rooms. The highest price is $132.00 for a "sunny bay king" and includes a morning breakfast buffet on each floor and a glass of wine each evening in the adjoining restaurant, Fino. Unfortunately, it's been written up in a travel magazine and the Sunday NY Times..so book ahead.

We've been there twice and on our return a note from management thanking us for returning..nice touch

web site is andrewshotel.com

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Sue

Hi Rebecca,
I have stayed in Union Square and have had no problems. (Don't forget this area also is home to the Drake & the Westin - hardly slums!) There are nice shops including Macy's and smaller boutiques, and it is very convenient if you plan on going to the theater. From here you can walk to Nob Hill, The Financial District, and The Yerba Buena Gardens & Museum of Modern Art. I would be careful of booking right on Powell St. because it can be noisy. I have stayed at the Andrews Hotel (a real bargain when you consider it includes breakfast, and a great staff too!) and the Cartwright (renovated rooms, nice wine reception at night & good coffee available in the morning). Although not luxury accommodations, both were very clean and we felt safe. The problems with litter and homeless people aren't limited to Union Square, so probably where ever you stay you'll run into this. Make sure you are looking at a detailed street map when choosing your location - that way no surprises whe you arrive! Where ever you stay, use common sense at night & with carrying money etc.

I have used hotellocators.com and quickbook.com and I have had no problems. If you get a chance, go to http://www.sftravel.com/lodge.html there are hotel reviews written by folks who have actually stayed at the hotels, and they tell all - good or bad!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Rebecca

Just wanted to THANK YOU both for your responses!!

My only problem with smaller hotels like the Andrews, might be the size of the rooms. Three of us are sharing one room, and I'm also concerned about the bathroom being too small. I'll check them out though!

Thanks again!
Vanessa

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 03:29 PM
SFogster

The Omni is brand-spanking new and is supposedly gorgeous. I'd check it out as you can probably get good rates. (It's FAR nicer than any Holiday Inn I think!)

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Sue

Rebecca,
Glad to be of help! If you are concerned about the size of the rooms at the Andrews, just give them a call - 415-563-6877 they are very nice and they will tell you if they have rooms that can comfortably accommodate 3 people. Our room was small, but we were not in the room much. The bath was a reasonable size (not huge, but fine) and they had nice bath amenities! Also, we arrived before check-in and they stored (locked) our luggage up for us.