Reload this Page >

Need Help on Kauai Lodging and Weather!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 07:51 PM
Tom

I am planning a honeymoon in August and we will definitley go to Kauai for a week. I was thinking of staying in two different areas. First of all, I wanted to know if I needed to worry about rain at that part of the year....if so, do I need to worry about Princeville? I also thought of Poipu....of course these are the two most obvious choices, but what about other secluded parts? I found some cottages in Waimea but can't find much about them. I really need some advice. I do like the thought of staying in a resort for a couple of days, but then I would also like a hidden villa or cottage as well. Does anyone know of anything like this other than Waimea? Where would you suggest to split up the trip between?

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 08:07 PM
James

Nobody can possibly tell you whether it will rain in Princeville in November. As I believe another poster told you in answer to this same question a couple of days ago, the northern part of Kauai always gets more rain than the South, but August is not the "rainy season." Nobody can give you a guarantee - you'll just have to take your chances. Hawaii is wonderful, even in the rain! Buy a good major travel guide to Hawaii. They will discuss the weather in detail for the different areas but you can't predict what Mother Nature is gonna do, Tom!

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 08:18 PM
Brooke

When were were in Maui we talked to some people who stayed in Kauai the previous week (the same week we were there).
They said they had a miserable time because it rained the whole time. My husband and I asked again what days they were there and they repeated the dates.
Definately the same days we were there. When we asked where they were staying they said in Princeville. We had been staying in Poipu and had no rain. A local told us that this was because the southern and eastern part of
each Hawaiian island it the sunniest part. The north shores are the rainy parts. If you look at a map you will notice where most of the popular tourist
areas are at.

As for the cottages, I really do not know any. We stayed at the Embassy Resort at Poipu and loved it. The rooms were big and spacious. Included was a "continental" breakfast which had homemade Hawaiian muffins and pastries, and lots of other selections.
In the evening, a local came an sang, and there was a social gathering with comp Mai Tais and pasta from local restaurant. We have stayed at other Embassy's and this only is a little less
crowded feeling and intimate. No huge lines, crowds, etc. Really nice resort and sunny every day. It was near the Hyatt.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 06:53 AM
James

Whoops! In my post above, I meant to say "August" in the first sentence, not November. Also, Tom, if you will purchase Frommers' "Hawaii on $70 / Day", you will find that they list some cottages and B&B's in semi-remote / remote areas! I think you need to read more about the island, in general. Some of these guides can be a great help! Good luck!

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 12:47 PM
kal

tom...like the man said,on kauai,there are no guarantees on the weather, bruddah...we did find out that if it's raining on one side of the island, go to another side..we would find a business on the place where we wanted to go to get away from the rain and call them for a weather report...so far, all have been nice enough to tell us correctly and then we'd stop by and buy somehting from them. the waimea plantation cottages are nice especially if you like micro brewed beer. the waimea brew co. is right next door...good grub, too..plus you're only a few mins from polihale..drive down a few miles of cane haul road and you get a few miles of beautiful, empty beach.mahalo, bragh

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 02:49 PM
annemarie

The summer months are the driest on the north side of the island and the beaches up there are more serene. We did go in July and the water was like a skating rink in Princeville, whereas it was too rough for swimming all the while in Poipu. This is the norm although there are never any guarantees when it comes to weather. You need to punch in Princeville, Poipu and Kauai on this forum board and read previous postings, hit the book store and read up a bit. I am familiar with the larger properties and we have stayed both on the north and south shore but not familiar with these more secluded spots. Not sure on your budget and that would help.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 06:25 PM
Barbara

Tom,

We did the Waimea Plantation Cottage/Princeville split last summer. I wrote a detailed response to another person (Michelle)--in her "10 days in Kauai" posting. We loved Waimea Plantation Cottages except for the moron driving up and down the beach sans pants, and the management's failure to notify guests that there had been such incidents previously. The Princeville hotel is outstanding in all respects. Feel free to email me with questions regarding Kauai---my husband and I are both (rather ancient---late 1970's/early 80's)PSU alumni now living in Singapore. B