Need help on Durango/Mesa Verde questions

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Mark

Need help on Durango/Mesa Verde questions

My wife and I are taking the family (two girls, ages 5 and 9)to Durango during the first part of October, staying at the Doubletree. Could someone please suggest some of the highlights of the town, restaurants, ect. that we don't want to miss. Also, we would like to visit Mesa Verde. Having only one day, what would be the best sites to visit, any concerns with children on the hikes, ideas on crowds during that time of year? Any of your expert advice would be great!!

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Me

I too am interested in the response to this post.

Mark: You wouldn't happen to be taking an Ambassadair trip would you? From your description, it sounds like one of their offerings. The Silverton/Durango trip offered by AM in June had a one day optional trip to Mesa Verde. If indeed you are traveling with AM, you might want to check with them and see if they are offering the trip again.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 01:10 PM
Bob Brown

If you have time for one ruin at Mesa Verde, my vote would be for Balcony House. We got to run up and down ladders, crawl through little openings, and in general had a good time.

Old Feb 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are going to Mesa Verde in August. I have been looking for the Best tour that would show us as much as possible in one day. From what I understand, there are some spots that you are only allowed with a ranger guide. Does anyone know which tour is best? Full day? Tour company with a ranger guide? I am so confused.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Welcome to Fodors, davis1. You have found a thread that is almost 10 years old.

There are lots of newer, more informative threads with info on here.

The rangers give the tours. The top 3 tours are Cliff Palace, Spruce Tree House and Balcony House. There is also a loop drive that will allow you do see some of the sites, but from a distance.

There is also Wetherill Mesa which has Step House and Long House.

You need a ticket [$3 each person] for Cliff, Balcony and Long; Spruce and Step are self guided.
Have you looked at the website? It describes each site and give suggestions on visiting. http://www.nps.gov/meve/index.htm

You do not need to go on a commercial tour. A ranger led tour is the simpliest and least expensive and BEST way to see the sights. The commercial tour only provides transportations and then the rangers give the actual tours, so you eliminate paying $$$ to the tour company. They probably buy the tickets for you but that isnt worth the charge.

I have a home in the area and go there often. I have lots of thread on here about MV and Durango.

Here are threads that came up on a search - check some of them out. They won't all apply, but maybe it will give you a better idea of MV.

http://www.fodors.com/search/results...author=debitnm
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Deb has great advice. Only thing I would add, is to stay in the park at Far View Lodge- the night before and after your full day, if at all possible. The drive to Durango is enough out of the way to be a slight bother.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Thanks everyone. That's a LOT of information!! Especially the links. I plan to sift through it and take refine our trip using the info.