Need car from Kaanapali to Lahaina??

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 07:54 AM
bkubiak

Need car from Kaanapali to Lahaina??

I remember from my last trip to Maui that parking was very difficult in Lahaina. We will be staying at the Royal Lahaina Hotel in Kaanapali and wondered if there is a bus or some other way to get to Lahaina to avoid the parking hassles. Maybe even a taxi if it's not too difficult getting one back to the hotel from Lahaina. Anybody have any suggestions?

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:00 AM
scigirl

I think there is a free (I'm not sure if it is free - but that is what I recall) "trolly" from Whaler's Village (a tiny little mall in Kaanapali) to Lahaina. I am not 100% certain about this. I think your hotel is within walking distance of Whaler's Village. You might call your hotel to check about the trolly and if other transportation is available.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Kayla

I was in Maui in Oct. 99 and the trolley to Lahania is $1. They don't run all that frequently (every half hour or so), but there are plenty of cabs, and it is a fairly inexpensive cab ride into town. As far as parking, there are some public lots that you pay by the hour, but I think it's capped, so it's not too bad. You definitely need a car for Maui - drive up to Kapalua, the Road to Hana, etc. Some of our best pictures are from drives we did on our own!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Phil

Just returned from Maui. Didn't really have much problem parking in Lahaina. Every lot that I saw was $5/day parking, which is pretty reasonable.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 03:39 PM
Kevin

Taxis are easy to get but not cheap. Last year it cost us around $10 each way from the Hyatt to Lahaina. The Royal Lahaina is a little further north so will cost even more - maybe $12 or so. I would suggest driving - the parking isn't bad. Plenty of reasonable parking lots. Maybe you could do the taxi one or two nights if you wanted to have more than a couple of drinks.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 10:29 AM
Sandy

There is a large parking lot (and I recall with a mutli-level parking structure) in the newer mall area on the north side of Lahina behind Hilo Hattie's (not free, but not extremely expensive considering it a tourist location) - also if you get to Lahina early in the day (before 11:00 a.m.) you may find free street/curb parking around that area too. I've heard mixed stories about the shuttle from Whaler's Village that the tolley doesn't run frequently enough and that it is usually crowded.