Need Big Island Experts for Various Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first return to the BI in 30 years and first time for my hubby. We've reserved 5 nights at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel and last 2 nights at the Volcano Rainforest Retreat in Volano Village. We're flying in and out of Kona from Los Angeles on FF miles. Tentative itinerary followed by some questions:

Arrive 8:00 pm on 4/7 rent car - drive to hotel
4/8 relax at the beach and hotel
4/9 1/2 day snorkeling trip out of Keauhou - to the coast along Kealakekua bay on either the Fair Wind or Hula Kai.
4/10 - relax at hotel - my birthday!
4/11- Friday night luau at Kona Village Resort
4/12 Drive to Volcano Village via north route, stopping at Waipio Valley Lookout, Akaka Falls and World Botanical Gardens en route.
4/12 - arrive late afternoon in Volcano Village. Staying in the Bamboo Cottage at the Volcano Rainforest Retreat.
4/13 - All day at Volcano National Park - Thurston Lava tube, lunch at Volcano House. Dinner at Kilauea Lodge Restaurant.
4/14 - Drive to Kona Airport for a 9:30 pm flight home, stopping to visit City of Refuge en route.

Questions:

1) Do you have any recommendations for things to see in the Kohala area? Should we just visit the gardens/resturants of some of the other hotels?

2) Dinner suggestions for my birthday?

3) Do you know the Fair-Wind and/or Hula Kai boats -snorkeling by Fair Wind? Is one preferred over the other? Will we have time to go to the Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historic Park (City of Refuge) or should we save that for our last day enroute to the airport? I remember seeing this place years ago and really liked it.

4) My husband doesn't want this trip to be too packed with driving. Are we crazy to make the drive from Volcano to Kona our last day? Would I be smarter to change our flight home and try to go out of Hilo?

5) Any special recommendations for the day in the Volcano National Park? Guided walks? I understand there aren't active lava flows right now, correct?

6) How much time should we give to Kailua-Kona town? I really don't want to spend time in overdeveloped tourist areas and don't remember being impressed with this area years ago, so I imagine it is very overbuilt now.

7) I would love to tour a coffee plantation. Any recommendations?
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM

1. From Kohala you could drive to Hawi and check out the shops and have lunch, see the Kamehameha statue drive to the end of the road and hike down to Pololu Bay. If you want to check out the hotels I'd go to the Hilton, ride the boat or monorail, see the dolphins and take the art walk.
2. Luau at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel?
4. From Volcano to Hilo airport is 45 minutes. From Volcano to Kona airport is 2.5-3 hours. You have to decide but you do have all day to make the trip. Stop at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach park and see the turtles, Pu'uhonau O Honaunau (Place of Refuge), lunch/early dinner in Kailua and off to the airport
5. As of now some of the park is closed (Chain of Craters Drive, Crater Rim Drive from the museum on) due to high sulfur dioxide emissions. No hiking etc. very bad air with several experiencing respiratory problems daily. The Visitor Center, Thurston Lava Tube and Volcano House are open but beware of which way the wind is blowing as a gas fume is coming out of the crater.
6. Just have lunch/early dinner in Kailua and walk the shopping area is all you'll need to do. Maybe the dinner cruise one night or some other activity but you don't need a lot of time in Kailua town
7. I like Greenwell Farms
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM

I second the idea that you should fly out of Hilo! It is a long, long drive to get to Kona from VNP.

We had DH's birthday dinner while on BI. {We also stayed at Hapuna Beach Prince and loved it}.

It was so difficult to pick a place…lots of good suggestions from everyone on here. In the end it was Pahu i’a at the Four Seasons. We had a table right by the edge, nearest the beach which had large spotlights on it and the ocean was a bit rough so the waves were breaking and foaming while we ate…so pretty. We had excellent service and food, as I had expected. A note – while the entire meal was expensive and we don’t mind paying for good food, I would pass on ordering appetizers. They were very expensive {I had coconut fried shrimp 2 for $20 and DH and Duck spring roll which I think was $1 and while tasty, certainly not worth the money. DH had the moi which was melt in your mouth and I had mac crusted mahimahi which was crispy on top and flaky tender inside. We split a banana trilogy which had Banana Lumpia, Banana Vanilla Chiboust, Banana Cake and Ice Cream and was yummy. Then they brought over some chocolate truffles on a special plate for DH with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate!

Be sure to tell the hotel, and whatever restaurant you pick -- that it is your birthday!

If you can't get down Chain of Craters road, consider treating yourselves to a helicopter tour instead. Blue Hawaiian was great tour.

Deb
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Depending on where the active lava flow is and how accessible it is, I'd try to see that. We just saw it two days ago and it was so amazing. If you are lucky it will still be flowing into the ocean. I highly, highly recommend you check it out. If you are interested in learning more then check out the video and tips I've just posted yesterday and today at www.GoVisitHawaii.com There is also another thread about lava viewing and advice with lots of good tidbits.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 04:27 AM

I would suggest Hawaii Tropical Botanic Gardens versus World Botanical Gardens on your 4/12 drive to Volcano. Hawaii Tropical Botanic Gardens has been established longer than World Gardens so more botanical things to see and its location on Onomea Bay is spectacular.

Also you will be traveling through Hilo on Saturday which is Farmer's Market Day in downtown Hilo. Depending on the time you pass through, you might want to stop (earlier is better than later). Also a great place to have lunch in Hilo is the Hilo Bay Cafe in Prince Kuhio Plaza on your way out of town. Hilo Bay Cafe is north of Wal-Mart and though the location is not great, the food is fabulous, fresh, inventive, delicious.

As to driving back to Kona from Volcano on the last day--I would do it. As another poster pointed out it will take approx. 3 hours so you will have plenty of time and you can stop at the black sand beach and the view of the Ka'u coastline is wonderful. Consider Hana Hou Cafe in Na'alehu for lunch (local style food).

Suggestions for your final meal in Kona: Kona Brewing Company in the industrial area just north of Kailua proper-nice patio and good pizza; O's by Safeway (good food and easy parking) or Fujimama's in Kailua-town (Pacific Rim fusion).

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:17 AM

1) If you pick one hotel to visit the grounds go to the Mauna Lani. It has ancient fish ponds that are protected by the resort and very nice to see. I also like to drive north and see Polu'u look out or hike down to the beach.

2) Special dinner at the Canoe House at the Mauna Lani. Here too you can reserve a table right on the edge of the deck on the beach. It is beautiful and very romantic.

6) Skip Kona - too touristy.

7)Greenwell Cofffe Farm is my favorite.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful replies!
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM

LeslieC:

1) Places to see besides the Place of Refuge: Painted Church, North Kohala (mostly scenic views); Waipio Valley; and NOAA Observatory on Mauna Loa (requires an appointment). Let me know if you are intersted in the Mauna Loa Observatory and I can tell you how to set up a visit.

I also recommend a lunch stop at the Coffee Shack (south of Kailua-Kona on the way to the Place of Refuge). Great food and one of the best views on the Big Island.

2) Birthday Dinner: Keauhou Country Club (just down the road from the turnoff to Keauhou Harbor). The clubhouse dining room is open to the public. Nice atmosphere and just upscale enough to be enjoyable.

7) My favorite of the Kona Coffee farms is Bayview Farms (close to the road to the Place of Refuge).

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 07:07 AM

The Kohala Inn & Luke's Place
55-510 Hawi Road
Hawi, Hawaii 96719
County: Hawaii

This is a very nice dinner place if you are going to HAWI. On Friday and Saturday, see the most famous bartender of the big island - Jim Jung, who was the beach bartender at the Mauna Kea for years and has written a book "My Life Behind Bars."
DO NOT go to the breakfast buffet at the Royal Kona Resort - very disappointing.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Some of the best food on the island is at Cafe Pesto at Kawaihae. Great presentation. All food is very fresh. The pizza is great, as well as crab cakes, and the coconut dessert is luscious.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Hi, LeslieC. You're going to have a wonderful time, I'm sure.

We went on the Hula Kai (a Fairwinds boat) a year and a half ago, and we loved it. It was faster than most other snorkeling boats we had been on, and there is a chair (sort of like a recliner) for each person on board. Since the boat is faster, we were able to go further south than most boats on the Big Island go. The lunch was very good, too. When the boat is anchored (for snorkeling and lunch), they put up big umbrellas, so if you want to be in the shade during that time, be sure to pick chairs that are near the umbrellas -- not all of them are.) We'll definitely do this snorkeling trip again.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM

For the Hapuna Beach Prince I would recommend that you update your reservation to include the breakfast buffet. This will save you money, plus make your mornings less complicated.