Need advise! southern Utah trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all!! this is a great site with a lot of info!

I am planing on a 6 days southern Utah NPs trip on the thanksgiving holidays. My parents(>60), wife and baby(<2) will be on the trip. Parents and baby don't feel like a rush tour or all driving. Please advise ...

day 1: fly in Vegas.
day 2: set off to Zion in the late afternoon and stay in Zion.(3 hrs)
day 3: tour in Zion then drive to Bryce in the late afternoon, stay in Bryce.(2.5 hrs)
day 4: drive through Capitol Reef in the late afternoon, then stay in Moab.(7.5 hrs)
day 5: tour to Arch and Canyonland, then stay in Moab.
day 6: drive back to Vegas.(7 hrs)

I am more interested in the Arch, that's why the Capitol Reef will only be a stop by. Wish I have more holidays...
I am able to reserve most of the motel/cabin available, and seems most of the folks here suggest the inside NP will be the first choice? any other suggestion on the lodge please? Is there any way to get a cheaper rate? or all are non-negotiable?

Is there any place require/suggest a 4x4 other than a full size sedan?

What will be the road condition by end of Nov? I checked the weather report, seems that they are all freezing cold.

Thanks so much!
Mike
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM

They dont want a rush tour? Thats what this is! I did a similar trip a few years back, stopping only in Vegas, Zion and Bryce. If you really want to see anything more than parking lots, I would say save Arches, Canyonland, and Moab for a another time. Or save Zion and Bryce for another. No point in going just to say you have been there.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:45 PM

I have done 6-day trips to Vegas/Bryce/Zion several times, and THOSE seemed rushed. I couldn't even imagine adding in 3 more parks! Zion is nice (70 degrees, roughly) in November, but there can be ice & blizzard conditions at Bryce. I'd stick to the lower-altitude parks if I were you, and cut down the number of stops.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:30 PM

I'd have to agree with the posters above. If you simply want a road trip then go for it but, for me, that's way too much time in the car. I'd suggest not going any farther than Capitol Reef and call it a trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:32 PM

I take it those times after each day are estimated driving times, if so, they should be close.

Have you shown your itinerary to your parents? Just keep in mind you are only going to have about 10 hours of daylight in late November so after rushing around all day, you will be able to relax after 5 P.M. each night.

If your parents don't think it's rushed then go for it. But you will be on a world wind tour and if they don't like it, you better go back to the drawing board.

I don't know what it would be like to fly into Salt Lake City in late November but you could fly in there and do Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef if Arches is the most important location.

You won't need 4 wheel drive to get to these places but it might come in handy if you run into snow. There are plenty of 4 wheel drive roads to explore but you aren't going to have the time!

Utahtea

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all your advise! Your points are well taken!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We enjoyed the Bumbleberry Inn near the entrance to Zion in Springdale Utah and the Boulder View Inn in Torrey, near Capital Reef. Reasonable rates.