Need Advice: Potentially Moving to Colorado

Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice: Potentially Moving to Colorado

Hi there,

I am potentially moving from the east coast to Colorado to start my new business. My business will require A LOT of driving and being on time for appointments. The two places I'm looking into are Denver and Colorado Springs. My question is regarding traffic and travel time in those two areas and on average how long it would take to get into and out of the city. I would most likely be living right outside of Denver and commuting around the city.

Also, I am really interested in learning more about the culture of the two cities and if there are any major differences, whether good or bad. Through tons of research Colorado seems like a fantastic place to live and start my business, but I have yet to visit and I will be soon.

I am open to any suggestions and advice so please let me know what you think!

Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM

Where will your appointments be? outside of Denver? South of Denver?
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

The appointments will be in and around either city I move to whether Denver or Colorado Springs- within a 20 mile radius of the either one.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Then live on the periphery. Lakewood you can get out to the west on Sixth AVenue. You can live in south Denver (Tech Center/Centennial/Highlands Ranch) and get down towards CoSprings. Those are really the only areas I know. Of course, there are others. I know that getting from downtown Denver OUT can be a challenge depending on traffic.
I would hope you'd come and live for a while to see how you like it and find the place you'll want to live.
Interesting that you know this schedule already.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Both cities have their driving challenges though I find Denver to not be nearly as bad as Florida was and I lived there for 20+ Years as an adult. Colorado springs is surprisingly spread out and larger than most people think. Denver has good public transportation with several light rail lines in progress including one to the airport in addition to several that are up and running to the south and one to Golden. I assume you are planning a visit before moving to get a feel for each city and areas within each that may be of interest to you. I did a bit of research before we visited and anticipated living in one of the southern burbs. We have lived in one of the northern burbs for almost 10 years now. We rented for almost 6 months before buying a place which made us much more comfortable with our decision of area. Many people i work with in downtown Denver live in Parker, Littleton and Lakewood and are very happy as well.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 01:32 PM

Traffic in Denver can be heavy, like any other area of the country, but having lived and commuted in both Washington DC and Boston, I can tell you that daily Denver traffic is nowhere near that torture! I live 22 miles away from my office clear on the other side of town and it takes on average 45 minutes to travel both side streets and an interstate at the height of rush hour. Of course, your mileage may vary, depending on the starting point, destination, weather and time of day.

I would think if your business will be centered around the area you want to live, that you would choose Denver just because of the greater population and potential market.

Many people will say that culturally, Denver is liberal and Colorado Springs is conservative. That's a generalization, of course, but it's a starting point to differentiate the two cities. I've lived out here for 21 years now and although there are elements of the East Coast that I miss, I do like the lower cost of living, smaller town feel and mountains with a wide choice of activities and beautiful scenery. But do come visit first before you make such a big decision!
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 06:45 PM

It is hard to compare CS and Denver since both are very different with different economies. Denver is much more of an urban city. CS sprawls over 25% more land area than Denver with a quarter of Denver's population (645,000 to 2.6m). CS is more conservative with over 50 church/faith based organization headquarter in CS. Historically CS has been very dependent on military bases in the area - Air Force Academy, NORAD, etc.

Denver has its traffic problems but lot of the infrastructure has/is being rebuilt. Entire 1-25 corridor has been rebuilt, a massive light rail system is being built. Denver is the cultural and sports center of the state. Denver has easier access to the winter sports areas via I-70. Denver is a transportation hub and has the new international airport.

Depending on your business, I would think that Denver would have the greater potential. You would find a lot more people within a 20 mile radius in Denver than CS.

Denver has one of the younger average age with a higher educational level than just about anywhere in the US. CS is older since it attracts a lot of retire military and doesn't have an economy that attracts younger and well education people.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. The business I'm starting will be focusing on dog obedience/rehabilitation. The program is extensive and pricey so I'm looking for a very dog friendly city with customers willing to go the extra mile with their companions.

My biggest concern is constantly traveling to the different metro areas in Denver as compared to CS.

What communities/metro areas in Denver would you recommend for this type of business? I'm looking to reach the highest customer base possible within 35-40min driving distance. I don't want to be located inside the city since I will need a large space/yard.

I definitely will be taking a trip out there but it would be helpful to know where to start looking for real estate/rentals.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Well, you have the right dog friendly town. My son's dog was in his wedding. He was impeccably trained, needless to say!!
If you are going outside of Denver OR going into the center city, the periphery serves you well. I am only a visitor often, but I experience I25 a LOT, going into town, and out.
Your need for a large yard may presuppose going to Parker or some other outlying area--can't say.
As Fmpden said, Denver is not as spread out, and you can do anything for a little while--like getting into the middle of Denver--you may just have to be patient and allow time.
Parker is now served by the light rail I think as is GreenwoodVillage/Park---Mall area. High rent district for sure.
What about Boulder!!.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 09:57 AM

Be sure to check the zoning wherever you go. It is illegal to operate home based businesses in many upscale communities, and there may well be special regulations about having multiple animals on site for noise and health reasons.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 10:57 AM

Parker is not served by light rail nor is there any plans for Parker. The three operation lines are SW along Santa Fe beyond Littleton, SE along I-25 to Lone Tree with a short spur to Parker Road & I-225 and the west line to Golden. The line to the airport is under construction.

My very limited experience with driving in CS is that it is really spread out along the foothills with a lot of roads that seem to wind around. Denver is on the grid system with lots of square streets. The suburbs around Denver are a little less so but I would think it would be easier, in general, to get around Denver than CS - BUT that is pretty subjective.

Ackislander raises a good point to check the web site for any zoning restrictions. It is generally legal to have a home based business if it does not cause an adverse effect on the neighborhood. You could have a consultant business - know several who do - where you visited the clients or even have one or two clients a day call on you. But a business that had a steady stream of customers and cars all day long would be prohibited.

Some cities, Denver included, have breed specific dog bans. Others do not.

While you can gather a little information here, I don't think you could make a decision without a week long stay in both. They really are two very different cities. Even Denver, itself, varies greatly from the northern suburbs to the southern suburbs or east to west.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 11:37 AM

It was Parker Road. thanks.
Son goes to a dog trainer in Parker, I believe, FYI.