Need advice on Alaska itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to get some feedback on my plans for Alaska. We are most interested in seeing wildlife. I am concerned that I am trying to do too much.
June 25 - From NC to ANC
June 26 - Drive from ANC to Homer stopping along the way
June 27 - Emerald Air bear trip - stay in Homer
June 28 - To Seward- cruise Kenai Fjords -stay in Seward
June 29 - 26 Glacier Cruise - PWS - back to ANC
June 30 - Trip to Brooks Camp - stay at Brooks
July 1 - Brooks Camp - back to ANC
July 2- To Denali - Stay at Denali
July 3 - Shuttle into Denali - stay in Talkeetna
July 4 -MT McKinley flight - back to ANC and walk around town before flight at 9 pm
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Wow! I am tired just reading your itinerary. Of course it is possible to include all these places but you won't have a time to see and experience a real pleasure of traveling in Alaska First, you won't have a time to visit Homer. Emerald Air day trip takes all day and the morning after you will have to leave very early in time to get to Seward for your Kenai Fjords tour. If this is your time in Alaska I would add a couple days/nights to Homer and forget about Brooks Camp or forget about day trip with Emerald and stay at least 2-3 nights in Brooks Camp.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:45 AM

I would probably eliminate the 26 Glacier cruise since you are already doing the Kenai Fjords the day before. It might be a good idea to check what's open on July 4 in Anchorage. Some places might be closed for the holiday ... but OTH there's probably a good parade. We saw a great parade in Kenai. Had fun visiting the food vendors.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Teresa, do you have any accommodations already booked? That would make a big difference in what to suggest.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:16 AM

teresa48 -

Sounds really ambitious! I agree with dfrostnh about maybe skipping the 26 glacier cruise.

However, if you've got lots of enery then go for it all! Alaska for most people is a once in a lifetime experience and you won't be able to even scratch the surface in just a few days or even weeks. Just go and enjoy and don't worry about seeing everything!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Pat
Thanks for your help- The only lodging I have definely made is Brooks Camp on June 30. Will make the rest this week.
Had thought about Land's End in Homer, Denali Lakeview in Healy or maybe the Alesyka Resort one night. Any recommendations?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Have you considered staying at Denali on July 3rd as well instead of staying in Talkeetna? The shuttle into Denali, depending on which you book, can be an all day affair and after being on and off the shuttle bus all day, it might be tiring to drive to Talkeetna that night.

I stayed at Denali River Cabins just outside of Denali which were nice but not the most expensive in the area. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

You are right - after the shuttle might be better to stay in Denali. Do you really need air conditioning that time of year in Denali. Heard the interior section of Alaska can get really hot? I was hoping to find something with air conditioning since we are so used to it in NC.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Teresa, after all the discussion, would you mind reposting your itinerary with any changes you have made? If you haven't changed anything, then it's not necessary. I was just trying to consider your plan in addition to the suggestions made, and would like to know what you have planned now. Thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:11 PM

I was in Alaska during the exact same time you are planning a few years ago and we didn't need AC at all. I don't know if we experienced typical weather for that time of year but we had clear skies and sunshine every day except for one day. During the day we usually wore a light jacket or long sleeved shirt. When we were in the hotels/cabins at night, we never needed AC. What we did need was mosquito repellant so make sure you take that with you.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

I will post my final itinerary this week after I make my final reservations. Has anyone ever stayed at the Great Alaska Adventure lodge in Sterling and spent a night at Bear camp with them?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:16 AM

You are including too many places in your itinerary. Slow down!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:43 AM

We stayed there. It is expensive and exclusively for fisher-men/-women. The name doesn't mean it is for bear watching. I think it was Bearclaw or something like that. The lodge is own by Orvis and only for those who like to spend lots of money to catch fish.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Teresa, I asked for you to give us your current itinerary so we could help fine tune it with the changes you've made to the OP (original post). It really helps to get others' input for an Alaska trip. Posting the final itinerary after reservations are all made may not leave room for changes or improvement.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I am having a tough time with this trip. So much to see and so little time. Still have many things to finalize but here is what I have so far:
Day 1 - To ANC - stay at Lake Hood Inn
Day 2- Explore ANC - stay Lake Hood Inn
Day 3 - Brooks Camp - stay overnight
Day 4 - Brooks Camp - back to ANC stay?
Day 5 - To Denali - stay Denali Lakeview Inn
Day 6 - Shuttle into Denali- stay Denali Lakeview Inn
Day 7 - Talkeetna, Mt McKinely flight, back to ANC - stay ?
Day 8 - Drive to Homer - stay?
Day 9 - Bear trip w/Emerald Air - stay?
Day 10 - Back to ANC and fly out 9 pm

Still don't have time for Seward - any suggestions or better options! Thanks for your opinions!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:27 PM

BayouGal - I HAVE to highjack this post as I wanted to get a message to you. On 2-12-06 you cheered my son's hockey team on to try to beat that undefeated hockey team (to no avail, but I appreciated your "thoughts"). WELL, you might remember I said, if we beat two teams in our S.D. State Hockey Tournament, we again would probably be playing this team in the Championship game. Well, yesterday (exactly one month later from your post to me) we beat them 4 to 2. We are the S.D. State Hockey Champions! Whoopee. Life is good. What a way for my senior to begin the last quarter of his senior yr.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Teresa, you should be proud of yourself. You listened to suggestions of those who live in Alaska or visited Alaska already and you also kept your needs and interests in mind. Your new itinerary looks more relaxed and enjoyable. However, keep in mind that it is going to be a long drive from Talkeetna to Homer so plan many stops on the way. There are endless scenic spots so your drive is going to be much longer than you think.

I know how hard it is to give up on certain places you really want to visit. You don't know this yet but you will be back to Alaska sooner than you think thus leave some places to be discovered on your next trip. On our first two trips we didn't even go to Homer. Then we visited it, fell in love with it, made many friends there and every time we go to Alaska we include at least a whole week stay. It feels like we are returning home.

With your 9 pm flight back home you may spend a half a day in Homer just to get a glimpse this wonderful town. Visit the Pratt Museum, go watch birds, look for moose in the Wynn's Nature Center, look for bald eagles and more. Certainly you won't be able to do it all.

As to accommodations, let us know what type of places you are looking for. In Homer there is an abundance of B&B's and cabins. How much do you want to spend per night, how many people in your party?
check this link
www. cabinsinhomer.com
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pat for your encouragement. As far as accommodations, we lean towards bed and breakfasts. My husband and I are traveling and we like places that have views, nice people and price is not really an issue. In Homer, I was looking at Lands End only because of the location but would prefer a B&B with a good view. Also do you have any other good B&B recommendations in ANC, or Denali? Its so nice to get first hand information. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Teresa, I’m sorry I won’t be able to help you with accommodations as we do not stay in B&Bs. If you want views check this place out

We never stayed there but went to check it out two years ago. It was recommended by Chris of Emerald Air. The host lives in a separate house. The guest house accommodates only one set of guests. This place was spotless with full kitchen, views of the glacier, Spit and Katchemak. The view is to die for. Just magnificent! There is a screened -in porch and a grill too. I remember a full sized refrigerator. I do not recall a bathroom at all so no details here. This place is located above Homer on the way to the Wynn’ s Nature Center. The host was wonderful when we stopped unannounced. She has a green house and said we can have some of her tomatoes and cucumbers. We did not ask how much she would charge for fresh vegetables. Her tomato plants were as tall as her house. Really! We were stunned by incredible flowers everywhere. I think she said she had over hundred flower pots. This place did not have washer and dryer or a phone but she said we can use her phone. If you have a cell phone there is no problem. We get connected in Homer Teresa, I’m sorry I won’t be able to help you with accommodations as we do not stay in B&Bs. If you want views check this place out

We never stayed there but went to check it out two years ago. It was recommended by Chris of Emerald Air. The host lives in a separate house. The guest house accommodates only one set of guests. This place was spotless with full kitchen, views of the glacier, Spit and Katchemak. The view is to die for. Just magnificent! There is screened -in porch and a grill too. I remember a full sized refrigerator. This place is located above Homer on the way to the Wynn’ s Nature Center. The host was wonderful when we stopped by unannounced. She has a green house and said we can have some of her tomatoes and cucumbers. We did not ask how much she would charge for fresh vegetables. Her tomato plants were as tall as her house. Really! We were stunned by incredible flowers everywhere. I think she said she had over hundred flower pots. This place did not have washer and dryer or a phone but she said we can use her phone. If you have a cell phone there is no problem. We got a connection in Homer Teresa, I’m sorry I won’t be able to help you with accommodations as we do not stay in B&Bs. If you want views check this place out

We never stayed there but went to check it out two years ago. It was recommended by Chris of Emerald Air. The host lives in a separate house. The guest house accommodates only one set of guests. This place was spotless with full kitchen, views of the glacier, Spit and Katchemak. The view is to die for. Just magnificent! There is screened -in porch and a grill too. I remember a full sized refrigerator. This place is located above Homer on the way to the Wynn’ s Nature Center. The host was wonderful when we stopped by unannounced. She has a green house and said we can have some of her tomatoes and cucumbers. We did not ask how much she would charge for fresh vegetables. Her tomato plants were as tall as her house. Really! We were stunned by incredible flowers everywhere. I think she said she had over hundred flower pots. This place did not have washer and dryer or a phone but she said we can use her phone. If you have a cell phone there is no problem. We get connected everywhere in Homer.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:47 AM

LOL!! Forgot to include a link
www.alaska-beary-patch.com
I just checked the website and it looks a little different than what we saw two years ago. Maybe they now not renting a whole guest house to one set of guests?

www.homerbedbreakfast.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -