Need advice from AVID RUNNERS for Sicily trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

know this is going to sound totally weird, but I was wondering if any runners out there had any suggestions for appropriate running attire that won't get the old ladies hissing in Sicily? I've been there many times and I know that their ideas about women's clothes are a bit conservative. I will be there for a month in early september when it's still quite hot and humid. Normally I wear short shorts (you know how short actual running shorts are) and a sports bra and sports bra tank over that, obviously this outfit is not going to fly in Sicily. What can I run in that's conservative, most of all functional and won't make me sweat to death????? The thought of a t-shirt and pants makes me sweat just sitting here typing! I don't want to be disrespectful or earn the disaproving gaze of the locals, but you know what I mean when I say I've GOT TO run! Any ideas?

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Hi Guilia, perhaps a good idea is to post this question on the Europe Board and perhaps you will get some good answers.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Maybe not so helpful, but thought I'd share this:

In Paris, my husband went for a cross-training run after he finished riding a stationary bike so he was wearing bike shorts and loud-ass jersey. Went running through the streets on the L. bank. He said people looked at him in TERROR and/or Stunned disapproval. Even he (Mr. couldn't care less what people think) didn't run like that anymore.

On the otherhand, I ran in the park in black jogging pants and a black sleeveless shirt and the gendarmes yelled at me (we won't go into that) in French.

Not what you wanted to hear, I guess.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:04 AM
OO

LOL the reaction your husband got Litespeed Chick. I am surprised you got yelled at though? Why? You sound pretty conservatively dressed for a runner.

I'm still laughing about your husband though. I can just see them react in utter terror. Between his dress and the way one can look after a bike ride AMD a run...I can understand it!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:05 AM
OO

(Make that "AND a run", not "amd".) Sigh. edit edit edit. I don't.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

litespeed_chick, that's hillarious, I got a good chuckle reading your post. Many years ago I was hissed out of an open air market because I was wearing shorts and a tank in july, imagine that. Who knew?