need advice

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

need advice

We are travelling to Anchorage in august in order to make a cruise by Holland America.We are having a hard time to understand how things work.Are there some hotels related with the cruise where you are suppose to stay?
How about the transfer from Anchorage to Seward?Do you get a normal cab, are there busses?Do you make your own arrangements or through Holland?
Sorry, but this is my first cruise and I feel lost.
Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:46 PM

For starters, check out their web site: http://www.hollandamerica.com/ There is a section for "booked guests" and a section called "Top 10 questions," plus much more to help you with your planning.

Also, look over the ticketing information you received from the cruiseline. That should tell you if you are paying for transfers.

Most importantly, PHONE the cruiseline at their toll free number and also phone the travel agent that made the arrangements. You are paying for the cruise, and they have customer service reps available to explain each step to you.

Most cruises will take care of transfers, but you need to talk to them to be certain. You can also make all your arrangements independently. If you need an overnight in Anchorage prior to the cruise departure, then you will probably have to make those arrangements yourself. Check with the cruiseline to verify this information and to get all your questions answered.

Good luck!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM

When are you arriving in Anchorage?? Are you on a cruisetour?? If so what one. Or are you just coming in a day early and taking the cruise??

If the latter- I strongly suggest you consider the Alaska RR Anchorage - Seward. Then consider a Kenai fjords boat tour, that leaves at 11:30am Alaska Heritage will pick you up at the depot, store your bags, then shuttle you to your ship. This boat tour is far superior for glacier viewing and wildlife compared to anything you will see from your ship or on other tours on the inside passage.

Again if independent, stay anywhere in your price range, expect nothing under $120 for hotels, a little less for B&B's. If you don't get a car, then having lodging that includes both depot and airport shuttles is a big savings.

IF you are on a cruisetour, all transfers are included.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

We will be arriving in Anchorage the 17th at lunch time and living next day in a Holland America cruise at 8 p.m.I found out that transfers are not included(Anchorage to Seward). They are booking for us the Westmark Hotel and it will cost 217 dollars for each one of us, for hotel and transfers. That is much more than we were expecting , but I donīt know how you can reach Seward in a cheaper way. Is Alaska RR a railroad?
Will we have time for a tour while in Anchorage?
Thank you all.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:05 PM

The first cruise we took, I booked at the Hawthorn Suites(they have a shuttle to the train) stayed the night and then took the Alaska Train to Seward. The train ride was amazing. When we arrived in Seward , we went on the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour. See the posting by BudgetQueen. I agree it is far superior to the glacier and wildlife viewing you will see on the cruise ship.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:34 AM

ABSOLUTELY cancel this cruise transfer and hotel package. Book a downtown hotel yourself, a wide range available. Best is to get one with an airport and depot shuttle available. If only looking for a clean bed the Ramada is a decent hotel.

Then book your OWN transfer via the Alaska RR, simple to do, available right online. Then strongly consider my earlier suggestion of adding a Kenai Fjords boat tour, www.kenaifjords.com has the 11:30am departure.

As for touring Anchorage, do that your day of arrival. Best would be to get a downtown hotel and use the excellent walking tour map included in their visitor guide. www.anchorage.net

Take a look at some Kenai Fjords photos, they speak louder than words. Don't miss it. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen