Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need a weekend driving destination from Long Island

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a similar inquiry last year, but am hoping for new possibilities. We would like to find a location for a February weekend away within a reasonable driving distance.

We enjoy small towns and cities, B&Bs and small hotels, galleries, shows in both small venues and large, museums, small cafes and/or fine dining, and are we are open to all options. Romantic accommodations would be a definite plus. We are not interested in staying in NYC since visit the city quite often, nor are we interested in the Hamptons since we are regular visitors there, as well. Also, we are not interested in skiing or winter sports this weekend away, but more of a relaxing romantic break.

Last year we weekended in Steinbeck, NY, based on Fodor's contributors recommendations. It was a wonderful weekend away. I also investigated Stockbridge, but that town seems to be best visited during the summer and fall. We have also enjoyed many weekends in Connecticut in the Lake Waramaug region, as well as Mystic, Stonington, and the River Valley region (Ivoryton, Essex, Chester) and environs.

I would truly like to experience a new destination. My husband suggested Rhode Island as a possibility, but does not want to visit Newport. He also suggested Pennsylvania. Again, we are open to all options within a reasonable driving distance from Port Jefferson, NY.

I'll look forward to reading your ideas. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Northampton,MA has dining, galleries, two or three very good music venues which attract nationally known performers and is about three hours away.
On the weekend of the 18th a new opera about Sojourner Truth, who lived for a time in Northampton, premieres and should be a treat.
An excellent new restaurant, Coco, has recently opened in neighboring Easthampton and is worth a visit.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Bucks County, PA, is beautiful and there is plenty to do there. It can be accessed by beautiful drives through NJ: http://visitbuckscounty.com/

HTTY
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM

For RI, try the ferry out to Block Island. Real sleepy this time of year, but beautiful.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

jubilada, I did not realize that any location in Massachusettes would be only 3 hours from mis Suffolk County. I'll have to look into that area.

happytrailstoyou, do you have any suggestions for accommodations in that area? We were thinking about New Hope.

emalloy, I have wanting to visit Block Island for quite some time, but would prefer to make that trip during the warmer months.

We would love any additional hints or suggestions since we are really getting under the wire now.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM

Sorry I don't have any lodging suggestions. We used to make the trip frequently when we lived in NYC, but we moved back to Seattle in 1990. Parts of New Jersey and the Delaware River Water Gap are absolutely beautiful. There is also much history in the area--Washington's crossing, etc. The whole area is well worth researching beforehand.

HTTY
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:21 PM

New Hope, PA