Need a weekend driving destination from Long Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this is very last minute but my husband and I have had a very ill relative who recently passed, so have not been able to plan anything until now. We really could use a couple of days to ourselves but we have limited time. We would like to leave this Friday, for 2 nights, and stay within a reasonable driving distance.

We enjoy small towns and cities, B&Bs and small hotels, galleries, shows in both small venues and large, museums, small cafes and/or fine dining are we are open to all options. Romantic accommodations would be a definite plus. We are not interested in staying in NYC since visit the city quite often. Also, we are not interested in skiing or winter sports this weekend away.

I'll look forward to reading your ideas. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 08:35 AM

Drive out to Orient Point and take the Ferry to New London, CT. Visit the Lyman Allen museum, the Custom House museum, or head over to Mystic Seaport.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

We love Connecticut but have been to those areas several times.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a nice inn and spa in the Brandywine Valley. You can go to Winterthur, Longwood Gardens & the Brandywine River Museum. It would be a nice relaxing trip, I think.
http://www.montchanin.com/
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM

You might try Kent, CT and its environs-LItchfield, CT, Lake Waramaug, New Preston, CT etc. or Litchfield County in general
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 03:51 AM

Have you been up to Hyde Park? Visit the mansions, FDR home, etc. eat at CIA.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Suki,

I have been wanting to visit the Inn at Montchanin. In fact, I had reservation this past Christmas but had to cancel them due to our ill relative being in the hospital. I would love to see Longwood Gardens and Winterthur for the first time when they are decorated for the holidays so I think I'll wait until next Christmas. But thank you so much for the perfect suggestion.

emally,
We were just the area this past September when we visited Rhinebeck. I loved it! However, we did not dine at CIA or visit theFDR home. We went antiquing, dined in the small restaurants in the Main St. area, shopped, and visited the Roosevelt Mansion. Maybe we should go back this weekend. I will see if I can get reservations at the CIA. With the snow on the landscape, I can imagine it looking like a Currier and Ives painting.

I would still appreciate additional suggestions. I'd love to visit someplace new. Thanks again to everyone!
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:33 AM

Hmm. It's more than 2 hrs. but Williamstown, MA is like what you're looking for.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Sobster,

I will look into Williamstown, MA. It would fit the bill for someplace new but, as you stated, it's a bit far for a quick getaway. BTW, I was in the Lake Waramaug area in October, and the environs are beautiful! We were married at the Mayflower Inn, which is located in Washington, CT. I would highly recommend the Mayflower Inn to anyone looking for an indulgent weekend away.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is another thread going about the New Hope, PA area. It is a nice town, and within walking distance across the river is Lambertville, NJ. There are many restaurants and B&Bs although it has been too many years since I've been there for me to recommend anything. Hope you enjoy my area, the Brandywine Valley, when you do visit, happy2travel.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM

How about Newport, RI? If you can, book something at Castle Hill or the Chanler. Pampering experience, no doubt.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM

Looks like The Chanler might be booked but looks like Castle Inn is available. http://www.castlehillinn.com/
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM

Would agree with Williamstown. Or look into Amherst / Northampton, MA. College is in session so it will be busy.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Newport is nice but my husband has been there many times and prefers not to weekend there. I checked into Williamstown, MA, and it is over 4 hours away. I think that might be too long of a drive for this weekend but I'd like to visit the area when we have a bit more time.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, though! now I have new trip ideas for the future. I called the CIA in Hyde Park and they do not have availability for this weekend. did ask to be placed on a waiting list, though, just in case we end up there. Does anyone have recommendations for accommodations in the Rhinebeck area? We weren"t crazy about our accommodations last time we were in the area.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM

Ok, how about Stockbridge, MA. You've got your Norman Rockwell plus more.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM

sobster, if Williamstown is too far at 4 hours, Stockbridge is 3+ hours. Not much of an improvement.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:30 AM

Just to go in another direction, how about Princeton, NJ? Beautiful town for strolling, good art museaum (and the campus is a sculpture museaum), excellent theater, etc.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:58 AM

I haven't been there since they changed ownership, but the Jedediah Hawkins Inn in Jamesport is really lovely although not cheap. They have a few rooms available this weekend. http://www.jedediahhawkinsinn.com/#/accommodations Visit some wineries, do some antiquing, maybe shop at Tanger or take the ferries over to the Hamptons. There's a jazz festival going on this weekend on the North Fork. http://www.liwinterfest.com/liwinterfest/calendar.html

OR, stay in the Hamptons. There are rooms at most of the nicer inns and even the less pricey ones (like Lumber Lane B & B in Bridgehampton or Enclaveinn.com)
Maidstone Arms, 1770 House and Baker House all in East Hampton are lovely. Baker House is running a winter special of 20% off winter rates. This place is like going to a rich friend's home for the weekend. http://www.bakerhouse1650.com/index2.htm
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies! I never thought of Princeton as a weekend destination. I will definitely look into that. As for the Hamptons.....they are definitely lovely, but we visit the Hamptons and the wineries regularly. We just took a drive out East this past Monday. One of our favorite vineyards is Raphael. However, we need a change of environs and a bit of distance from home this weekend away. However, I highly recommend the area for anyone that doesn't live quite as locally as we do.

I am also going to look into New Hope. PA today. One of my friends goes there yearly, and likes it. I am just wondering if there is more to do than just dine and shop.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:24 AM

How about Cold Spring, NY (upstate?). Alternatively, you could try the Emerson Lodge in Mt Tremper, NY -- also upstate. Great spa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -