need a lunch place in San Jose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody have any recommendations for a lunch place in the San Jose area? we are flying in from Ohio, arriving around 11. will be getting a rental car. my mother will be meeting us at the airport and we would like a close place to go for some *decent priced* food and not-too-loud/busy atmosphere for lots catching up-talk. will have 4 and 7 year old boys with us too. after eating we will be parting ways as we will be driving south, until we meet up again on Sunday in Monterey area (she lives in Half Moon bay and we are renting a condo type place in Marina).

thanks for any recommendations!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 11:04 AM

I would go the the DOUBLETREE HOTEL near the airport. Very nice restaurant. Open and airy with good food. Your mother could even meet you there and avoid the airport. From the rental cars to the DOUBLETREE would be no more than 5 minute drive.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:24 PM

There are many great restaurants in downtown San Jose about 3 miles form the airport. One of my favorites is Original Joes at First and San Carlos Streets. It's a casual Italian place with resonalbe prices and great food. Other places to check out are Hawgs (seafood) and the Old Spaghetti Factory in San Pedro Square.

http://sjdowntown.com/bus.html

http://sanjose.org/visitorsresidents/dining.asp

http://siliconvalley.citysearch.com/...staurants_bars

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:37 PM

My recommendation would be Gordon Biersch. Good food, fast, they have crayons etc., for the kids. You can eat outside and either linger or eat quickly, depending on your mood. It's in Downtown SJ.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I second the recommendation for Gordon Biersch.

Spaghetti Factory is good too, but I think they are only open for dinner.

Original Joes is a San Jose institution, always a good bet.

For a 50s diner atmosphere, Peggy Sue's is a good place for some burgers and shakes.

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Last time I went to the SJ Spaghetti Factory, the food was really pretty mediocre. I've had good luck across the street, at the Sonoma Chicken Coop - they have a nice covered outdoor patio as well; reasonable prices and good food, though you have to stand in line to order.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 11:38 AM

I haven't been to the Sonoma Chicken Coop, but have been wanting to try it out. Glad to hear that the food is good.

When we go to Sharks games, we always park in the garage next door and walk over to the Tank, so I've passed by it quite a few times. I always suggest we eat there before the game, but we have a tradition of eating at the Juicy Burger on Bascom before games and no one else in my group wants to break that tradition. They are convinced that the Sharks did as well as they did last season BECAUSE we ate at Juicy Burger