Search

Need a little Philadelphia dining help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little Philadelphia dining help

Hi

We will be in Philadelphia for a convention over the last weekend in August. It's a large convention at the Convention Center, and we are staying at the Omni at Independence Park.

We are leaving right from Philadelphia for Italy on Sunday afternoon. That fact, combined with the probability that we'll be busy at the convention, leads me to prefer casual and inexpensive eating. I'm not going to plan any fine dining.

We would like to be able to walk to take public transportation to some spots for dinner. We like all kinds of ethnic food, but don't really want Italian since we are going to Italy. Tasty and fresh, casual and around $20 per person would be great. We will of course go lower or higher.

Should we go to Reading Terminal Market on Friday or Saturday? Is it too crowded on Saturday? We will do some sight seeing on Sunday before going to the airport around 2 or 3.

Any and all tips are very much appreciated.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Reading Market isn't open for dinner.

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/about/hours
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Reading terminal market not being open for dinner isn't exactly true. I asked the same question here back in May. Depending on where and what time you want to eat, the down home diner may be ok for you. Here is the website http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/merchants/view/57. It is inside on the same side as the information desk. They may close the inside entrance at a certain time but I'm not sure.

I am not an expert but when do you plan on going? I am going there tomorrow and can report back if you like. Also there are experts here who can probably help you better.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry. I can see where it seems like I wanted to go to Reading Terminal Market at night, but I didn't mean that at all. I am including it in time away from the convention, and was wondering if Friday or Saturday might be a better time to go there during the day.

So I'm still looking for casual spots for eating, and I guess I should include lunch in my query. We prefer eating a larger meal in the evening, but we'll probably need to have a few places in mind for all meals.

Don't mind taking taxis but would love to be able to walk or use public transportation.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Amy

In that price range, I'd go for Imperial Inn on 10th street. (I go for the walnut shrimp, myself, not the dim sum that it might be better known for.) It's not at all modern, but it's tasty and not too expensive.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...nsylvania.html
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Amy, I am taking your rec with us. Modern doesn't matter at all, nor does atmosphere. Just tasty, fresh, casual and inexpensive are what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any lunch or sandwich recs?
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Amy

Sandwiches: Salumeria in the Reading Terminal. Prosciutto, sharp prov, roasted peppers. (And of course the famous roast pork from DiNic's is there, too.)

And you can get good cheesesteaks from the carts; I like the one at the corner of 5th and Chestnut--right across from Independence Mall. (And if you're there on Friday, be sure to go down and visit the Dream Garden mosaic in the Curtis building.) If you like Italian sausage sandwiches, they're a good cart item, too.

Or check here to see what food trucks will be nearby: http://chowspotter.com/ Street food: we're good at it.

Another option, a little further afield, but one that gives you a great excuse to do a little shopping for things like truffle burrata, is DiBruno brothers at 1730 Chestnut Street. (It's closer to the Convention Center than to your hotel, but Philadelphia is a great town for walking if you get nice weather.)

Phooey. Now I want a sandwich.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Oh Amy, this is just the sort of thing I've been hoping. The chowspotter.com site is going to be useful.

I'm not sure how much walking we will be doing, but I've downloaded an app for public transportation.

How are taxis in Philadelphia? Easy to get? Reasonable?
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Amy

Erm, can't help too much with the taxis, as I don't use them, but I think they're considered to be relatively reasonable and present--except when it's raining.

The public transportation system is very easy, particularly downtown. You should be able to use the El (Market-Frankford line) for most of your needs. Try www.septa.org to get a feel for what's available; their "plan your trip" option works reasonably well.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 08:28 PM

We never waited more than 30 seconds to get a taxi anywhere in Philadelphia .. And we thought they were quite inexpensive.

You just call them off the street - even side streets, etc. we had no problem.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

This gets better and better.

Any recommendations for ethnic restaurants near the convention center or Independence Park? We don't have much in the way of really good Indian or Chinese in Pittsburgh, so hoping for that and or any more unusual foods.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:29 AM

How about Rangoon for Burmese food? It's at 112 N. Ninth Street, just about Arch Street, a few blocks from the convention center.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Amy

A really great (and inexpensive) ethnic treat is Marrakesh, for Moroccan food served in traditional style. It's perfect for a small group, and you get multiple courses for not very much money. You have to knock in order to get in (and should have reservations) but it's really an experience. And the food is good.

It's about a half mile straight down 4th street from the Omni; the little street that it's on (Leithgow) is right before South Street between 4th and 5th.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Fork on Market Street.

I also like Alma de Cuba.

Thin
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 06:03 AM

I, too, like Fork; it keeps getting better and better. Unfortunately, for dinner it would come in way over your target of $20 per person.

http://www.forkrestaurant.com/menu/dinner/

The two-course lunch is $25.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes, since we are heading to Italy and since this trip to PHL is more about our convention than a vacation or visit for fun, we probably will try not to splurge and want to keep it cheap.

These tips are great, thanks.

Phillyfan, if you are out there, what is the name of that donut shop?

For everyone, how about Sunday lunch or brunch?
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM

We had a nice brunch at a Greek place, Kanella, on Spruce.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Kanella, but they don't have a liquor license.

There was a fantastic Greek restaurant--Chef Theodore-- that closed years ago because it was BYOB.

PA has the most inane liquor laws.

I am a Quaker and even I think that the Mormons have an easier time getting alcohol in Utah.

Welcome to the Quaker State.

Thin
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:51 PM

Ah, Thin.... Honestly, I didn't notice that... Good catch.

We didn't start serious morning drinking until we moved to Slovakia!

They did have fantastic espresso...
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:57 PM

Not sure if the OP is aware (I sure wasn't). In Philly, some material number of restaurants are BYOB.. You can bring wine and they will provide glasses and a corking service (which they may or may not charge a small fee to provide).... But the restaurant sells no alcohol.

If you enjoy wine with dinner, confirm if the restaurant provides it. Or if the restaurant is BYOB (and some are either).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -