Search

NE Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2017, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NE Road Trip

Hello,

we're planning a trip to New England in late September/ early October. Coming from Germany and flying to Boston. We have taken some road trips all over the US and Canada. Our favorite thing is hiking and we are not the biggest fans of the coast.

I'm really struggling with our route from Vermont back to Boston. My plan looks like this right now:

1.Germany - Boston
2. Boston
3. Boston - Portland
4. Portland - Acadia NP
5. Acadia NP
6. Acadia NP - North Conway
7. North Conway
8. North Conway - Burlington
9. Burlington
10. Burlington - ???
12. ???
13. ???
14. ???
15. Plymouth - Boston - Germany

Do you have any ideas how to spend the rest of the days? We would like to visit Connecticut and Rhode Island, too. Also we were thinking about a trip to either Montreal or the Lake Placid Area. What would you suggest? Any tips?

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 01:51 PM

If you are interested in completing your trip in Plymouth, you have a couple of options. Perhaps visit Providence, Rhode Island for a few days. I am traveling to that area in October and we are staying in Warren, RI. It is centrally located. Another option is to travel to Mount Treblant, Canada and then to Burlington VT before traveling to Plymouth.
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 03:16 PM

Have you already visited Boston? If not you could use and extra day or two there. One of the lakes areas in NH or Maine would also be nice at that time of year, lots of fall color. Look at Wolfeboro NH, Naples Maine, Greeneville or Rockwood Maine (especially if you love to hike.)
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 03:30 PM

Good, realistic itinerary.

You could spend your ???? days in the Berkshires (Williamstown, Lenox, Stockbridge, etc.) or the Pioneer Valley (Amherst, Northampton, Historic Deerfield, etc.). Very scenic, lots of sightseeing options, and easier to reach Plymouth (mostly via the Mass Pike).

You could always return to New England and cobble together an itinerary including coastal Connecticut (Mystic, New Haven, etc.), Providence and Newport in Rhode Island, and New Bedford, Cape Cod, and the Islands in Massachusetts.

Montreal and Quebec City would form a good basis for yet another future trip.
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks everyone. I have been to Boston 11 years ago and we usually never spend too much time in cities. I'm sure you can spend a whole week in Boston and the sorroundings but we often skip things and are not really rushed.

I'm thinking about combining the Berkshires with coastal Connecticut. On the other hand, what do you think about going to Lake Placid and driving down the Hudson Valley?
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:54 AM

The most logical add-on from your list is Montreal, since it is so close to Burlington.

Or Burlington - Berkshires (Massachusetts) where there are beautiful views, nice day hikes and then on into Boston.

That time of year north of Boston should be start of foliage season. Keep in mind that October 9 is a (silly) holiday called Columbus Day. That is a big travel weekend for locals. These things are relevant only considering hotel availability and prices.

I don't think you really have enough time to add Connecticut and Berkshires. The rest of your itinerary is so sensible - allowing you enough time in each location to actually do or see something - so don't compress it any more.
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 02:13 AM

You could stretch your legs with a hike in or near Portsmouth NH on way to Portland. Check out Urban Forestry Center or a short detour to Wagon Hill Farm in Durham. The farm is now open to the public with a trail that goes over the hill to the water and then you can walk along the water and take loop back to farmhouse.

I suggest inserting Harpswells (east of Brunswick between Portland and Acadia. Google their conservation properties map. All are easy short hikes with Giant Steps being the most fun/scenic. Stop on way to Acadia in Camden for hike up Mt. Battie with IMO the best view in Maine. We take the auto road and plan a picnic.

Be aware that the northern route from Acadia to North Conway (Rt 2) is very rural but pleasant alternative to google maps 4 hour trip via I95. If your visit is third weekend (Sept 22-24) Maine's organic farmers are holding their Common Ground Fair in Unity. Very little lodging in tiny Unity so places all the way to coast are booked up.

North Conway area is very built up with condos and outlet malls. Good restaurants, though but expect extremely heavy traffic because of foliage tourists. There are tons of hiking opportunities in NH's White Mountains and around Lake Winnipesaukee. Recommend Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness for native wild animals and education. The pontoon boat ride to see loons is wonderful.

Between Littleton NH at top of White Mountains you can insert a stop on way to Burlington in Danville for the Great Vermont Corn Maze. Expect to take a couple of hours in the maze. We took emergency exit. Since maze is on a side hill, you get some exercise. View from top is nice. The maze is maddening, especially when you keep passing same people going in the other direction.

Drive thru Hero Islands is nice. I agree Montreal would be a nice addition.

I would skip Plymouth unless you can schedule a tour of cranberry bogs. It depends on how much you like historical areas. I much preferred Native American museum at Foxwoods in CT over Plymouth.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Right now I'm planning to add Lake Placid, as it is not too far from Burlington. Our plan is to stay in Montpellier instead of Burlington as we found a nice Airbnb there.

This leads me to my next question:
I currently have areservation in Bar Harbor at a motel for two nights but I found a very nice rental in Ellsworth that would cost less for three nights. I'm thinking about spending two full days in Acadia but I'm wondering if this makes sense and if Ellsworth isn't too far from Acadia.
My thinking is, that if I have two full days, we have better chances to get at least one day with decent weather and have enough time to hike and maybe do a boat trip.

What do you think?
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 05:22 AM

A lot might depend on whether you can cancel you existing Bar Harbor reservation without penalty. If you can, no reason not to, especially if don't mind doing the ca. 45 minute drive between Ellsworth and Bar Harbor.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 07:25 AM

Dfrostnh had some great suggestions. Keep in mind the driving times. I would add more days on to Boston, Acadia and Burlington. The boat trips are fun from Bar Harbor, but the times might be limited due to it being after Labor Day (instead of running 6 trips maybe 4). Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 07:58 AM

If you only have two nights, stay on the island to visit Acadia, why waste a couple hours of your two days driving back and forth from Ellsworth? Bar Harbor area motels start around $89 in late September, savings of staying in Ellsworth would be minimal. If the dollar savings are important to you , stay two nights near Acadia and then after your third day, drive part way to North Conway in the early evening and find inexpensive lodging along the way for that 3rd night. Get an hour or two of the long drive to North Conway behind you. Quality Inn Augusta runs $85 in September and in the morning you could visit the terrific Maine State Museum https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...sta_Maine.html
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 09:41 AM

Some random thoughts:
If you are going to Montreal from VT you could also consider visiting the Eastern Townships area of Quebec to the SE. There are cider and wine routes, nice scenery.

The Pioneer Valley area in western Massachusetts would be easier to reach than either the Berkshires or the Hudson River Valley. Only about 2 1/2 hours from Montpelier and also closer for the return trip to Boston. All three have a lot of interesting history and beautiful scenery.

Fall foliage will probably be at its peak in north central VT (Montpelier) during the end of September and very early October. You might miss it if you go to the Maine coast first, but of course exact timing is impossible to predict.

There is a lot of good hiking in the high peaks region of the Adirondack mountains near Lake Placid.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

@DebbieDoesDulles
If it only were 89 $ in Bar Harbor I would not plan to move. My current reservation is for 422 $ for two nights at the Hillbrooke Motel. Would have prefered the Hampton Inn but that would add another 100 $ to the trip.

In Ellsworth I would get 3 nights for a little bit more than two nights in Bar Harbor. That's why I'm thinking about it (additional it will for sure be quieter at that rental). I think I will go for Ellsworth and get up half an hour earlier

Thanks for all the tips, we will add some of that stuff to our trip for sure!
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 12:30 PM

Check the reviews for the High Seas Motel. It's closer-in than Ellsworth and in a nice quiet location next to a BBQ joint and homemade ice cream parlor. Rates are fairly low because there is major road construction in the area. The motel gave us a little map of shortcut/ detours to take when coming and going and we did have a couple of 5 minute traffic delays but nothing that wasn't worth saving $250 over the two nights in town. Clean and friendly motel.