Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I need help planning a ROUTE in, and out of New England.

Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

I am in Boston now, planning on visiting Provincetown, and then Nantucket. After which, I'd like to start exploring the rest of New England. My ultimate destination is Canada. I don't have a car, and will be depending on Greyhound (or local buses), Craigslist rideshare, and the wonderful kindness of strangers.

My question is what Route would work best, if I want to see Acada National Park and Maine, but not neccesarily miss out on Vermont. I've also heard the Berkshires in W. Mass are nice. I am looking for dramatic/unforgettable scenary. Keep in mind, this will be a July summer trip.

Jun 24th, 2007, 03:12 AM

You are a brave one! Rt 95 is your best bet from Boston to Maine. Should have no trouble getting a bus most of the way but also check on the train from Boston. It might only go as far as Portland. Keep in mind that Rt 95 is nothing but trees all the way. You would miss all of the coastal scenery until you get to Acadia. Rt 1 was built eons ago and skips along the coast thru towns. It's more picturesque but you wouldn't see any of the coast either, just some tidal areas like around Wiscasset. Rt 1 from Boston to Kittery Maine is almost entirely commercial. The Berkshires are okay but not as dramatic as Acadia or the White Mountains of NH. The tricky part about Maine to VT is getting thru NH's White Mountains. The most traveled route would be to go south from Acadia to one of the cities and aim for Conway, NH. The Kancamagus Hwy is very scenic and cuts thru the mountains over to Rt 93. If you head north you will really miss most of VT. It would be better to head south. If you go all the way to Concord NH you can connect with Rt 89 plus there's a bus station. Rt 89 is a very pleasant drive angling from mid-Vt north to Burlington and from there you can head north to Canada. Another option would be to find your way from Conway to Hanover NH which is right on the Vt/NH border and home to Dartmouth college and connect up with Rt 89 there. Vermont's Green Mountains are lovely but more like big hills compared to the White Mtns. Rt 93 cuts right thru them. However, along Lake Champlain on the western side of VT there is beautiful rolling fields/hills of farm country. I'm assuming you are headed to either Montreal or Quebec City. Keep in mind that northern Maine is mostly forested and very isolated. Do not try to go north from Acadia to Canada (unless you're heading to Brunswick) because it gets pretty remote. However the Canadian coastline, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia area is very beautiful and the Bay of Fundy has a lot of dramatic scenery. Not sure of the route from that area to Montreal but then you would miss the White Mountains and VT unless you are circling back thru the states. On your way north to Acadia ME don't miss Camden ME, home to windjammers. There's a terrific view from the top of Mt Battie (hike or take the auto road) overlooking the harbor. Great place to relax and enjoy the scenery. Hope you have a terrific trip.
Jun 24th, 2007, 03:34 AM

DFrost - Are we the only ones up in New England weekend mornings?

Sandy, I just want to say that I agree completely with the above post. She knows the area very well, and always gives great advice. Heading up the coast on Rt. 95, over to the White Mountains, up to Quebec City via Rt. 91, over to Montreal, down along Lake Champlain, and back through Vermont via Rt. 89 would definitely be the preferred route. Glad she was able to provide the details! Cities/towns not to miss would include Camdem, ME, Bar Harbor, ME, Quebec City, Burlinton, VT and Stowe, VT.

I would love to read a trip report about your impressions and how this trip went without a car. Have a wonderful time!
Jun 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Sorry can't help with the routing, but want to say don't miss Vermont. It is one gorgeous state, definitely worth visiting.

Jun 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM

If you can find some kind strangers to fill in the gaps, this is great advice BUT.

You can go by bus from Boston to Bar Harbor (Vermont Transit), Boston to the White Mountains (Concord Trailways), Boston to Concord (Concord Trailways or Vermont Transit), Boston to Hanover (Dartmouth Coach), and Boston to Burlington and on to Montreal (Vermont Transit), but you may have a very hard time getting from one of those places to the other without going all the way back to Boston.

Are there busses that go across the states -- say, Portland to Concord? Not that I can find.
Jun 25th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Hey Dreamer2, mornings is about the only time I have for the computer but I went right outside and played in the dirt all day. Trying to start new gardens.
My husband and son love Craigslist for buying and selling but I didn't realize there was rideshare section. It's possible the the OP will find a shared ride to get her from Acadia to the next place. I, too, hope s/he posts a trip report.