Search

NE (Canada, too)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:47 AM
hans

NE (Canada, too)

Here you have the typical European travel-agency trip for 2 weeks: NY-Washington (stop in Philadelphia)-Niagara (via Amish town and Corring)- enter Canada Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec (possible extension to Tadoussac for watching whales)-Boston-NY back to Europe.
Well, I find it difficult to do independently in 2 weeks, I've thinking on 3 at least, and would like to know your opinion about it. We've been just once in the States, some 5 days in NY and so, we wouldn't need so much time for this city -although we'll take a couple of days-. But we'd like to do this by our own, and do not know if should be done driving a rented car for the whole route, doing it partly and moving between the most important cities on train/bus...
Any advice appreciated!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Gale

Complicated question. Driving between the cities is no big deal, it's driving and parking IN the cities that's the challenge. I would definately rent a car and drive between points, because it'd give you the opportunity to sample B&B's and experience some of the small communities along the way. May I suggest that somewhere in your itinerary you consider driving through Poughkeepsie & Hyde Park, N.Y. where you will find the Culinary Institute of America (4, 4-star restaurants you can sample), the Roosevelt Mansion, Eleanor Roosevelt's home, Samuel Morse home, and the Vanderbilt Mansion all within 10 minutes of each other. I've lived in that area, and I'm planning a fall foliage trip to Boston for Oct. I've found a wealth of information on B&B's, and highly suggest you sample some of the N.E. inns.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Tina

I really recommend 3 weeks to truly enjoy youself and have a relaxing vacation. You would be covering a lot of territoty between Niagra-Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec-Tadoussac then Boston and New York. Driving is a great way to see the sights and is probably more economical in North America becaiuse our gas is much cheaper than most places in Europe. In terms of driving, it's a 1-hour drive between Niagara and Toronto, 5 hours from Toronto to Ottawa, 2 hours from Ottawa to Montreal and 2.5-3 hours between Montreal and Quebec City. (I've done these drives many times as I live in Ottawa. The road is a divided highway the whole way). It's 6-7 hours to Boston from Montreal or Quebec city, while New York is about 7 hours from Montreal and 8-9 hours drive from Quebec City.

You are also planning to visist some of the nicest cities in Central Canada so I'd suggest 2-3 days in each city to really do them justice. The Canadian dollar is fairly weak right now so your European currency will go even further and things are fairly cheap (hotels, gas, food etc)in Canada compared to most places in Europe.

You may want to spend more time in New York just because its so big and has so much to offer.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 10:08 AM
jhm

I'm a tremendous proponent of Philadelphia, and think it definitely deserves at least a day on your itinerary - go to Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin museum, the Art Museum (rent the movie Rocky first!!), see Penn's campus for a truly beautiful American school, and have a terrific Italian dinner in South Philly, if you can. I can give you more Philly info if you need it.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 12:21 PM
kayla

Hans-
Skip Philly! It is dirty, not very safe, and lacking in interesting sights. You should not go out of your way and waste time that you could be spending exploring other, more interesting cities. Good luck!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Daniel Williams

Hi Hans---

Don't listen to Kayla; spend a day in Philadelphia and judge for yourself... I personally think it's one of America's most fabulous cities. Search for "Philadelphia" and you'll find a few trip reports I penned detailing great places to go there. And I have no reason to be partisan...I've lived in Africa, DC, Montreal, London (England) and now Baltimore...and I always love going to Philly.

DAN

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Nancy

Hi Hans,
I agree with Tina - this is a lot of area to cover and you really should take at least three weeks to properly enjoy it. Just the Canada portion should keep you busy for two weeks.
You didn't mention when you plan to visit. Is it in the summer - there's always much more to do then. Don't forget about the resort areas north of Toronto, Montreal and Quebec. In my opinion, don't spend too much time in Ottawa - it's a pretty city and interesting, but after a day or two, it gets pretty dull. They tend to roll the sidewalks up early there.