Search

nawlins in december

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nawlins in december

Going down to new Orleans for Bachelor party first weekend of December 04'. Ive heard there is an Oak Alley Bonfire festival that weekend, is it worth it to go? Anyone else go, whats the atmosphere for that event like? thanks in advance.

Bino
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:13 PM

I've never been to the special bonfire party at Oak Alley; it's a bit more upscale than the public bonfire parties. There is a description of what will be on offer at Oak Alley's webpage: http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/in.../calendar.html

There is a public bonfire festival the following weekend in Lutcher; that one is a lot of fun, very casual, with a gumbo cookoff and live music in the evenings along with the bonfires: http://www.festivalofthebonfires.org/
This event is put on entirely to attract tourists and make some money for local charities. People have always been interested in the bonfires, but the local folks were a bit overwhelmed with dealing with the influx of visitors on Xmas Eve, when they had family obligations and Midnight Mass to deal with as well. Having a "demonstration" burning on a different date with a special festival for the purpose works better for them as a public event.

The REAL bonfires are on Xmas eve, and as for the festival, the majority of them are built between Lutcher and Gramercy. (They are not as close together on Xmas eve.) There are cruises that come out from NOLA to see them from the water, which is the best way to appreciate them. However, on Xmas eve it isn't a formal festival; people just show up and watch, and celebrate however they wish.

There is a motorcycle enthusiast who has posted a lot of bonfire photos on his site: http://www.650motorcycles.com/CajunChristmas.html and also http://www.650motorcycles.com/CajunChristmas2.html
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Honey, if you're in NO for a bachelor party I doubt you make it to a bonfire at a plantation! If you do, have a great time. You never know what the weather will be like so you can check out www.wwltv.com for info. Just prepare to eat & have fun while you're here.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM

I went to the bonfires one year and had a great time drinking cheap canned beer that the fire dept was selling. They also sold food. Kids running around setting off firecrackers. And giant bonfires burning along the levee lighting the night. Definately a one-of-a-kind experience.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Ryn, Thanks for the info and the links to the USS Kick AZZ burning.... loved it. I might pass on the Oak Alley bonfire, my friends have never seen the impressive oak drive and thought it would be fun but there is so much I need to see and I'm not renting a car this time. I have 3 nights ( thurs-sun) to have fun and not spend all of them on Bourbon St.. I must go to Tip's uptown and the Maple Leaf,
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Hey...that's the year I went. I have fond memories of dodging burning chunks of the USS Kick AZZ rolling down the levee.
Since you're there on Thurs night. Keep Vaughn's in your plans to see Kermit Ruffins. He plays around 10pm, but it's best to get there around 9 to get a good seat at the bar. After his first set, it's red beans and rice for all.