Search

National Parks Tour-GC Bryce Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2010, 08:59 AM
SAB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Parks Tour-GC Bryce Yellowstone

Has anyone had any experience with tour companies that include the great western National Parks such as GCm Bryce Yellowstone? I have some friends from the UK who really want to see these great western parks and they have asked me for my opinion of this company
http://www.tourvacationstogo.com/gra...id=17342&nhr=1

It would not be my ideal, but before I comment on it I thought I should see if anyone has a recommendation for an alternative. Yes, ideally they would be better off doing a self-guided tour, but that is not what they want to do. So any suggestions?
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM

Hi SAB. We also live in the UK and last September we did a "Parks and Canyonlands" tour. We booked it through Travelbag. The address is Travelbag. 8th Avenue. New York.
It was a great tour. We had 4 days in Vegas first at the Bellagio which we booked ourselves, then we went to Ballys hotel in Vegas to pick up the tour bus.Travelbag have several tours, leaving and visiting all areas of the USA.
First day we went to the Grand Canyon and made a stop on the old Route 66. At the canyon we had time to walk along the rim of the canyon (not the Skywalk part though)then we stayed a night in a lodge close to the canyon.
Next day we moved on to Monument Valley. We went in open- sided trucks into the valley with a Navajo Indian as guide. The scenery was stunning.
Late afternoon we moved onto Lake Powell and stayed in a Best Western Hotel overlooking the lake.
Next it was onto Bryce Canyon which was absolutely breathtaking. That night we stayed in a lovely hotel, just 6 months old. The small town was great with restaurants and bars. We went to a show with a Country and Western band and a barbeque meal in the price.Be aware that this area was very cold due to it's elevation above sea level. We had left our coats and woolies in Vegas and had to buy sweatshirts!
Then it was on to Zion National park. Again the scenery was breathtaking. Massive rocks with roads and pathways cut through them.You are given time to walk through and maybe have a meal at one of the restaurants.
Then, on the 4th. day we returned to Vegas and had a final 2 nights at The Mirage which, again we booked ourselves.
I would certainly recommend this tour. The bus was comfortable and the guide very helpful and informative. I think the tour cost about £345 British pounds each including the 3 nights accommodation.
Hope this is helpful.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:04 PM
SAB
Original Poster

Thanks marly I will pass on the information.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM

I did a tour of this type that encompassed single days in Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon North Rim, Monument Valley, and Arches, two days each in Yellowstone and Grand Teton, plus single days in Moab, Salt Lake City, and Jackson. It was the "Best of the National Parks" tour given by a company called AdventureBus, and lasted about two weeks total:

http://www.adventurebus.com/national...iking_tour.htm

Cost is about US$1500 per person plus tip and includes most meals, sleeping space (on the bus), and park entry fees.

They'll also split the trip up into either Yellowstone/Grand Teton/Jackson or everything else, one week each.

Note that there is a definite element of "roughing it" here, as you sleep on the bus either when it stays in campsites or drives between destinations, and most meals are prepared campfire style beside the bus. One thing I especially liked about the tour was that you do get out and do a lot of hiking if that's your preference (and why wouldn't one?) -- you don't just drive in, look at things from the window, then drive away. And I found the staff very nice.

I liked the experience I had with them very much.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
SAB
Original Poster

Thanks, I think they are looking for something more upscale, but I will pass along the info.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM

National Geographic does tours of Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion; and Grand Tetons/Yellowstone (family adventure and wildlife of those parks).

Here's their website:
http://www.nationalgeographicexpedit...m/destinations