National Park Hotels

Search

National Park Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Park Hotels

We want to visit Yosemite, Yellowstone or one of the other "out west" national parks at Thanksgiving and stay in a National Park Hotel within the park. Just not sure where to start Any suggestions or has anyone been to one of those beautiful lodges...
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM

I love those great lodges and think you can't go wrong with Yosemite or Yellowstone. It has been years since I visited Yellowstone, and I did not stay at the lodge there, but I loved walking around the Old Faithful Hotel and hope to stay there some day. I have stayed at the Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Awahnee is a splurge but is a lovely place to stroll through, relax in the lobby, dine in the beautiful dining room, gaze at the beautiful surroundings, etc. There are also much cheaper places to stay in Yosemite - check out the National Parks website.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM

To start, go to www.nationalparkhotelguide.com

For Yosemite, would recommend The Ahwahnee (very nice) in the Valley or Wawona Hotel (historic)

For Yellowstone, would recommend Jenny Lake Lodge (very nice) or Jackson Lake Lodge (not as nice as JLL, but quite nice).
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM

To clarify, Jenny Lake and Jackson Lake are in the Tetons, next to YNP.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM

You do realize that late November in Yellowstone will be very very cold and lots of snow.

Thanksgiving at the Awahnee in Yosemite is probably already booked up. Maybe try Thanksgiving 2010.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM

In Grand Canyon check out el Tovar for a very nice historic hotel right on the rim. I'm not sure all the lodges in Yellowstone would be open at Thanksgiving but the one at Mammoth Hot springs in the park would probably be.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM

Check www.nps.gov and click on the parks you are interested in for accommodations inside the parks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM

The Ahwahnee is only booked up on Thanksgiving night itself--I checked. You could stay there before and/or after Thanksgiving Day, with Nov. 26th spent at Wawona (which is available).

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Reservations.aspx

Old Faithful Inn and Lodge close in October, and the Snow Lodge does not open until December, so you are out of luck for Yellowstone at Thanksgiving. Opening and closing dates:

http://www.travelyellowstone.com/ope...ates-2247.html

El Tovar (Grand Canyon) is a good alternative if you don't care to visit Yosemite. I wouldn't try to do 2 lodges in 2 different, distant parks over the 4-day weekend (the worst travel weekend of the year!)

Two parks closer together (like Grand Canyon and Zion) would be possible.