Nashville Public Transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have a bit of a dilemma. Our nephew lives in Brentwood and he and his wife invited the six of us to dinner.

We will not have a car and do not want them to drive to pick us up.

Is there public transportation from Nashville to Brentwood? Bus or train?

From the airport to Nashville. I have read that a taxi ride is a flat fee of $25. Does that sound right?

For 4?

Or is there a shuttle service? Or bus to downtown?

Thanks
Old May 5th, 2016, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless Nashville has changed a lot, I suspect a taxi or limo is your only hope.
Old May 5th, 2016, 10:49 AM

I have been to Nashville multiple times, most recently just over a month ago, and can recall no public transportation between Nashville and Brentwood.

The closest I can think of is Uber, but since there are 4 of you, it would need to be Uber XL.

Lyft also operates in Nashville, but I don't know if they offer something comparable to Uber XL.

I've never taken a taxi from the airport--I used the GrayLine Shuttle, but it only goes to hotels and as I recall from your previous posts, aren't you doing an Airbnb in East Nashville? The airport is on the east side of the river so an Uber XL might serve you well there also.

Someone local may have better info.
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM

"Nashville" is pretty big. From the airport to my home in Nashville is $35 - $40. I'm guessing the $25 fare is to downtown. I can't imagine that you'd reasonably be able to take buses to Brentwood. Nashville's public transportation is pretty bad.
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:42 PM

It's called Uber or Lyft. I took an Uber to Cool Springs (further out near Franklin) and it was $20 each way. It is way cheaper an option than a cab or possibly even renting a car. I live here and have a car, but I use those two services when going out as I have no need to get a DUI and harm myself or others! I have seen buses around but we do not have a subway or any other form of public transportation. It's a very heavy car city.

I also usually take Uber or Lyft to the airport and I've never paid more than $20. I live near Belmont so about 15 minutes from the airport. You may be closer being in East Nashville.

If you have never used Lyft I could send you a code that usually gets new riders five free rides for up to $10 apiece. I've done it with friends and we literally have ridden around free for an entire weekend.

Have a great trip!
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Re: the airport - short version, there is an airport bus, but not direct to your Airbnb, so a cab/Uber will be faster and easier (though not cheaper).

Longer version: The airport bus goes to the Music City Central terminal downtown and I think it's something like $1.70 a person. You'd still have to transfer to another bus or take an Uber/cab to get to your Airbnb.

http://www.nashvillemta.org/maps/route18.pdf

Depending on where exactly your Airbnb is, you'd want to transfer to one of the buses with Gallatin, McFerrin or Shelby in the route name. If you want to post the exact address, we can help pick.

http://www.nashvillemta.org/Nashvill...-Schedules.asp

The bus is cheap and not hard, if it goes close to where you need to go, but with several of you + luggage, an Uber or cab from the airport will certainly be faster and simpler.

Re: Brentwood - there used to be a bus as far as the Brentwood Old Hickory exit off I-65, but I think they stopped that service. Brentwood is an upper-class suburb and very few people, relative to other parts of town, took the bus, so it probably wasn't financially sensible to keep. Uber/Lyft is your best bet - cheaper than a cab.

The only train in Nashville is from the eastern suburbs to downtown, and the schedule is very strongly geared toward downtown commuters. All other public transit is via bus, on a spoke system - all the buses go downtown, and to get from one side of town to the other you generally have to transfer.
Old May 6th, 2016, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

jent103, Skiergirl, Songdoc, Musicfan and Ackislander;

Thanks everyone and UBER it is.

Will sign up for Uber this weekend and look at UberXL.
Old May 6th, 2016, 05:36 AM

You're welcome--Uber XL is part of Uber--when you download the app, assuming you live in a city that has Uber, and Uber XL already, it should show up at the bottom--it's just an option to select when you request your ride. As far as I know, when Uber offers Uber XL, it means it has drivers with larger capacity vehicles like SUV's. Here in Kansas City, when we first got Uber, it was only "regular" Uber--the option for XL only came along several months later--I assume they were waiting to evaluate demand, etc. Hope that helps! Enjoy your trip--Nashville is a very fun city!
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

musicfan--thanks much. My granddaughter already has Uber and she will also help me navigate the site.
Old May 10th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Minor problem with luggage.

We have to check out at 11am and our flight does not leave until 6:45pm.

I suppose we could get to the airport and find some lockers, then return to the city, but that would be counterproductive.

Is there anywhere in the city to store luggage?

A plus; The owner is allowing us entry on the 14th at 10am instead of the usual 1pm.
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:27 PM

Hmmmmm...that's an interesting twist I hadn't previously considered when it comes to using an Airbnb!

I wish I had some suggestions for you. Are you checking your bags for your flight home? Is it possible to check in bags without checking in yourselves? I don't know, but perhaps someone here does.
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks musicfan; We are Starwood SPG members and I could talk to the concierge at the Sheraton for suggestions.

Possible leaving the luggage there in the am and then having an early dinner in their restaurant at 4pm.

Somehow it will work out.

We do carry on our luggage.
Old May 10th, 2016, 07:29 PM

As far as I know, I think the Sheraton is probably your best bet. Even if the airport were convenient, I don't recall ever seeing anything about luggage storage there, and their web site sure doesn't give any clues about it! I can't think of anywhere else in the city that would have public storage lockers; you might call the convention & visitors bureau to see if they have any ideas. I did find a TripAdvisor thread that suggested the Greyhound station downtown, but a later post said those lockers are not available to the public.

http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors

Good luck!
Old May 11th, 2016, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi jent103; Thanks-I just e-mailed the Sheraton and asked if they could store our luggage with the caveat that we would have a late lunch/early dinner at their restaurant.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I did mention that we were SPG members since 2000.
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Problem solved. The Sheraton will store our luggage for as long as necessary, perhaps about 5 hours.
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:20 AM

Great news!
Old May 24th, 2016, 08:06 AM

iris, how was your trip? Hope y'all had a great time!
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

jent103; Sorry about the delay, as I have been away from Fodor's for about 5 weeks.

We had a great trip. I have my Tootsies jersey and have worn it playing BB.

The peddle shuttle was much fun. Only 6 of us and I had a blast. Meet 2 Mass. state police and had a great conversation with them as we were waiting to leave the staging area.

Low and behold, saw them again and they ran to the peddle shuttle and I gave one a sip of wine.

Wife was aghast. Had our box wine.

Visited the Heritage and it was a bargain. Adults, $20, seniors $17, but retired military, $10. We so enjoyed visiting.

Our rental was terrific, with 3 bedrooms. Minor problem was a train that crossed a street close by and then blew the very loud whistle, was only about 30 yards away.

In the area, small delightful homes have been or were being renovated. Loved the area.

Stopped in any number of bars for fun times.

Visited some of our family and that was lovely.

All in all, a great visit.