Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nashville and Memphis with a 10 year old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending 4 nights in Nashville and 3 Nights in Memphis with our 10 year old son before heading for Branson. Can anyone recommend the best places to visit with a 10 year old? We are staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown in Nashville and the Crowne Plaza in Memphiss - should these be OK?
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM

I stayed at the Marriott in Memphis last week, and the Crowne Plaza was next door. It's an OK area of town, close to the trolley to get you places, but not much around otherwise. I enjoyed the National Civil Rights Museum and the Sun Studio tour - not sure if your 10 year old would get much out of these or not. The Museum is directly on the Trolley line. The Trolley has a waterfront loop as well if you want to ride along the river; it goes counter-clockwise so you could get on near the hotel, cruise along the waterfront, and loop around and get off at the Civil Rights Museum. The Sun Studio is accessible via trolley with a connection and some walking but it's much easier just to drive if you have a car.

Both Beale Street in Memphis and Broadway in Nashville are fun just to wander around at night, with live music coming out of almost every door. Jack's BBQ on Broadway in Nashville is awesome. (10 year old may enjoy the lights but not sure about the appropriateness of the bars - though both areas seem "family friendly.")
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Opryland Hotel has a paddle boat, the General Jackson. You should be able to find out what kind of cruises are available by contacting the hotel.

If you are in Nashville on Saturday night, I believe a 10 year old would enjoy the Grand Ole Opry. Be sure and book tickets in advance.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM

Opryland Hotel is way to big to enjoy. It's so big it's scary !! I love Nashville, but I live in Memphis. It has one of the best Zoo's in the country. The Children's Museum, Rock and Soul museum, Redbirds Baseball game. All of these would be great for a kid. E
He would get a kick out of eating at the Bigfoot Lodge near the Redbirds stadium, or BBQ ribs at the Rendezvous.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM

I agree with lucy about the zoo and the Redbirds baseball game. I haven't been to the Rock and Soul Museum or the Children's Museum but both sound great. I've also heard wonderful things about Bigfoot Lodge.

For perfect accommodations in downtown Memphis, I'd suggest the Marriott Residence Inn - NOT the Marriott Hotel. It's within walking distance of lots of tourist activities and restaurants, has fully equipped kitchens, and excellent free breakfasts.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM

I would not go inside the honky-tonks on Broadway with a ten-year-old at night, even if they allow him in. But just walking around downtown at any time would be fine, and you can probably visit places like Tootsie's in the afternoon (they had a sign out front last weekend stating as much - something like "kids are welcome before 7pm").

Nashville has the Adventure Science Center which might be fun, especially if you don't have something like it at home. The Frist Center (art museum) has an area specifically for kids that I've heard good things about. Hatch Show Print on Broadway is fun to spend a little time in - you can see the printing press in the back and all the posters they've done over the years.

I'll throw in another vote for the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis. It's really great.

Does your son have any particular interests (sports, history, science, whatever)?
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your ideas. Our son loves animals, sport and science so there are lots of helpful ideas. Coming from a small town in Scotland just being in these big cities will be exciting for all of us!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM

My son enjoyed Memphis. There are a lot of outdoor concerts on Beale and the street is blocked off in the evenings ( maybe the day time too?). My son enjoyed the festive atmosphere. There are great BBQ to enjoy.
We loved the baseball game too! It is a much smaller venue than The St. LOUis Busch Stadium which we enjoyed a lot.
I am not an Elvis Presely fan but the whole family enjoyed Graceland. The house,history, car collection is fun.

Enjoy yourself while here!

I am curious what small town you are coming from in Scotland? That is one of my favorite places to visit. I went to University there for a year - great memories!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure we will enjoy it. We live in Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:42 AM

I agree with SusanCS: The Residence Inn downtown is a better place to stay in Memphis. It's in a better location (not far from the Peabody) and generally gets better reviews than the CP, iirc.

If your son loves animals, he might enjoy seeing the ducks at the Peabody hotel. They do their little show every morning. And Graceland is of course a must-see. I also think he'd love getting ribs at the Rendezvous. Touristy and packed but fun.