Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Naples Florida restaurants-for 10th anniversary trip

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Searching for Naples, Florida restaurants for couple celebrating 10th wedding anniversary (YIPEE - WE MADE IT THIS FAR!).

Want upscale, romance, great food - basically want it all!

Staying in Old Naples but will have car.

Thanks.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 12:39 PM

I would suggest Chardonnay on US 41. It is french and has a great atmosphere and is romantic. I have eaten there twice and the food was very good and the service was great! Also, the Grill Room at the Ritz Carlton has an excellents atmosphere and very good food. Both of these are considered to be some of the best in Naples for special occassions, etc. Happy anniversary!
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Travelingirl has certainly given you the two most expensive, if not the two best in Naples. Chardonnay is not my favorite after several incidents and not great food, but I know it remains popular and about the only real classic "French" restaurant in town. The Grill is really a gem both in atmosphere (think elegant paneled men's club with fireplace) and good food, but I must say it's hard to justify $36 or so for a plain grilled chicken breast, which two years ago was the least expensive thing on the menu. It's mainly plain grilled steaks and chops, but they do a great job. I haven't been but friends now like the dining room at the new Ritz Golf Resort at Tiburon even better.

When are you coming? Bice will be opening at the corner of Fifth Ave. South and Third St. South in about a month. This week Campiello (one of my favorites in town) is opening a new restaurant on Fifth -- loungey downstairs -- dining room and outdoor terrace upstairs -- where Annabelle's used to be. I forget the name of the new place.

Syrah is really top notch for food and trendy atmosphere. Sit at the bar first, looking out to the bay and put your drink on the iced bar in front of you. Quiet little elegant steakhouse called Preston's is very nice and perhaps deemed romantic, certainly very quiet.
On Fifth, Zoe's, Chops, Pazzo, and Mangrove Cafe are all good and of the boisterous, trendy nature.
Another favorite for me, but maybe not what you're looking for is sitting outside in the courtyard at BuonGustaio on Fifth if the evening is beautiful. Really nice Italian food, cooked and served by all Italians, and usually half the clientele is Italian as well. I always really feel like I'm sitting in Rome when there.

For lunch you might want to hit Tommy Bahamas (or Campiello if not for dinner) on Third Street South.

How many nights? Need more?
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks travelingirl and Patrick!

Patrick, we are coming in December and staying for 3 nights in Old Naples (Escalante).

Both Campiello's and Vergina were recommended to us.

I don't really want the Ritz - from what I have heard it may be too expensive and stuffy for us.

We are coming from Toronto, and would probably want to dine al fresco if the weather complies.

Thanks for all of your recommendations.

P.S. Husband is a real carnivore - any great steakhouses?
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 04:35 PM

Roy's - one of the best meals I have ever had! The desserts are incredible!
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Also, The New Hyatt Coconut Palms is wonderful - really beautiful setting. It is in Bonita Springs north of Naples.
Stayed there last Summer and went into Old Naples many times.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:41 PM

I find Vergina's about the most disappointing restaurant food wise on Fifth. But I know there have been a few positive comments about it here.
In addition to the wonderful small Preston's steakhouse, there is Stoney's at Bayfront. (I did an involved post last year about how they put a time limit on the tables, but I think they have stopped that now).

I like Roy's also, but it is about a 40 minute drive in "season".

December is fairly slow in Naples. I'd suggest you book Campiello ahead of time for the first night. Stroll along Fifth and pick your other places -- they have menus posted and you'll be able to check out the atmosphere. Book those two just the day you're going.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 11:09 AM
scs

Baleen at LaPlaya is a perfect spot. If the weather is nice, you can eat outside on the patio, and the sunset is breathtaking. We found it very romantic and our dinners were excellent.
It is about a 20 minute drive north from Old Naples, but if you have a car it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 11:21 AM

Haven't been to Baleen, but it does get good reports. The only problem is in December a sunset dinner is an early bird special -- about 5:30 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Is there any place in Naples to have good sushi? I heard about Fujiyama - is it any good?

Also, same question for Chinese.

Thanks - you guys give great advice!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:33 PM

I'm no great sushi expert, but I've liked what I've had at Fujiyama. Also good at DaRuMa near the Ritz.

Chinese is pretty dismal here in my opinion. There is a small good Thai place -- Thai Basil on 41 around 26th Avenue north. (in the shopping center with Blockbuster). There is also a P.F. Chaings, north of town -- better than any of the little Chinese places.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Oh, just happened to think. Maybe the best sushi is on Fifth at Chops. They have a really unusual menu -- lots of sushi, and then really good aged steaks.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:13 PM

For an Anniversary I think Baleen would be wonderful. Patrick is right, sunset is early but I think arriving early, sharing a bottle of champagne looking at the beach, lovely landscaping and sunset is just the prelude to a wonderful dinner. Great wines, even better food. Robin Haas wants this place to be special and is there, now it just needs the publicity....but wait...he doesn't need it as many who do not need affirmation from others find this place to be first rank. I give it an 8 for food, and a 10+ for ambiance. I haven't found any place better in SW Florida yet. LMF
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:40 PM

OK, LMF, you've convinced me. As much as I tend to shy away from hotels for food, I guess I must make an excursion to Baleen. I trust you.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 11:59 AM
scs

LMF - We were at Baleen in April. I forgot about the time change and the sunset, but I love your idea!!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I think we'll try Campiello for our annivarsary (want to walk so that we can have some wine worry free). Maybe Baleen the next night and then Chops. How's that sound?

Expensive, right?!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Sounds good. Hey it's only money and when will be the next 10th Anniversary?

To be honest, I find Campiello pretty reasonable, (but then I often order the wood oven half chicken with porcini risotto), and Chops isn't bad either (although of course the aged steaks and the sushi are the most expensive). It all depends on the drinks and wine and the extras. . .
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick.

If you can think of anywhere else between now and December, I'll be here!

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 11:28 AM

Here is a website with a list of quite a few Naples restaurants that I have seen mentioned as nice places to eat - it has menus! http://www.entreenaples.com/
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will check out this site.

Another couple I want to get some opinions about:
1. The Little Bar in Goodland (how far is Goodland anyways?); and,

2. Bha!Bha! (I love Middle Eastern food)

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO