Naples Florida restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending November 7-14 in Naples Florida. While we have been to many Florida cities we have never been to Naples and I'm not finding much here on Naples except for a 5 year old thread on restaurants. We will be at a wedding over the weekend but are looking for restaurant suggestions for the other nights. I would like to keep it casual for the most part. We enjoy seafood, Italian and steaks and we're looking for more fun type places rather than anything too formal. We are staying at the Fifth Avenue Beach Club and anything within walking distance would be great. Restaurants with water views would be great. Any suggestions on activities would be appreciated, although I plan to mostly plant myself at the beach. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM

Ridgeway Bar + Grill-3rd St.
Sarabeth's
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Louie's Backyard
Blue Heaven
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Whoops. Those last 2 are in Key West. Sorry.
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 04:24 AM

There is a Sarabeth's in Naples?

The restaurants on Fifth Avenue South are going to be your closest.

For being right on the water, the very casual but popular Dock at Crayton Cove (quite a long walk, though) and The RiverWalk at Tin City are perhaps your best bets. Pretty good food and a fun lively atmosphere. Hopefully when it's warm enough they are both open to the water, but if it's a bit cold they lower the plastic "windows" and really change the atmosphere.

Trulucks for seafood and Lurcat (modern bistro food?) are perhaps the most expensive and upscale of the places on Fifth Avenue, but really very good.

I really like Pazzo for modern Italian and its sister restaurant Chops which features fine steaks and sushi. But their third restaurant, Yabba which is kind of Carribean is probably not worth a visit in my book.

I really like the small Bistro 821 -- which kind of started the trendy restaurant move on Fifth Avenue. If you go, ask for Doug to wait on you and tell him Patrick from Fodors sent you.

Most of the many others on Fifth Avenue are pretty much hit or miss if you ask me.

Have fun.
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 05:40 AM

Oh, my. The Sarabeth's is in Key West too. I got too much sand on my brain from Hurricane Sandy. I am sure about Ridgeway tho.
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 05:42 AM

Oh, too bad. I'm away from Naples at the moment and for a minute there I thought maybe we DO now have a Sarabeth's. By the way -- Jane's Cafe on Third Street South is a good "Sarabeth's look alike) for breakfast!
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Great restaurants here in Naples. So far we have been to Docks which was fun but had average food. The followings night we went to Trulucks and the four of us all loved our choices. I had trout. Friday night I couldn't get a reservation at any of the restaurants I wanted and settled on Bice which was a pleasant surprise. There were 8 of us and we all enjoyed our meals. I had the spinach/ricotta ravioli which was excellent. The wedding was last night at The Strand which was a beautiful outdoor setting for a wedding with excellent food. Tonight went to Pazzo and loved it! Tomorrow we are eating at Bistro 821. I am finding that Patrick really knows the Naples restaurant scene.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 05:27 AM

KathyK, thanks, although I'm pretty much living in New Jersey right now so feel I may be slowly losing my "edge" in Naples.
Good news about Bice. I do like their food, but haven't been in nearly two years as I couldn't stand their "attitude" and ineptness. I met a Fodorite there for lunch and when we asked what their "special house wine of the day" was, all the waiter could say was "it's from NEAR Italy". What does that mean -- a Croatian wine? And when a newly registered AA friend of mine dined there and he and his date declined alcoholic drinks, the waiter actually said, "what, no drinks? What's the matter with you?"

Trulucks really is special. My partner and I can't wait to go there first when we spend a couple weeks in Naples in December. Our favorite server, Betty, has actually been living in my Naples townhouse all summer, waiting for her new house to be finished.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 05:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have experienced Bice's attitude, and rudeness in both NY and Chicago. They must not want customers to return.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 06:30 AM

OH, yes, Bice in NYC. Where we sat down and immediately a waiter started pouring sparkling water in our glasses. I said, "we don't drink sparkling water" and he rudely exclaimed, "then you should have said that before I opened the bottle and started pouring." Huh? Why couldn't he have asked us?

But glad it worked for you, KathyK! I think they've learned in Naples they have to be a little more "customer friendly".
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Back from a great trip to Naples. We ended up the week having dinner at Campiello (sp?) and Bistro 821. Loved them both. Patrick, Doug was working at Bistro 821 and he was a delightful server. We took advantage of the dinner for 2 special which is 2 entres and a bottle of wine for $30. Nice size portions and good quality food. Thanks again for your suggestions. Siesta Key had been my favorite spot in Florida, now I'm not so sure.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM

We have just returned from a 6 day stay in Naples which was 4 days too long for both of us. Apart from the main activity of eating in over priced mediocre restaurants we could find no redeeming features or character to the town. Northern Florida towns, i.e. Seaside and Destin have much more to offer and nicer beaches. IMHO.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Yes, it's true, Naples does not appeal to everyone, and some may prefer places like Destin -- or Disney World -- or even Ocala. I know many people who are bored with fine dining and much prefer the fun of Applebee's or Cheesecake Factory. And there are those who think a BMW or even Lexus is overpriced when a Kia will get you there just as easy. Everyone has his own levels of taste and interest.

Lateagain, I'm sorry you only went to the mediocre restaurants in Naples -- and yes, I agree there are some. It's too bad you didn't seek out FINE restaurants instead by checking in advance since it sounds like that's what you would have preferred. Or if you prefer really casual, fun places with good food -- did you seek out some of the really fun nearby "dives" like in Goodland or Everglades City -- or did you just stick to the Fifth Avenue trendy restaurants?

I take it you also didn't visit the museums, concerts, or theatres, or do any of the boat trips, boardwalks, nature walks, zoo, conservancy, or gardens? Or the historic homes or nearby spots? Or the deep sea fishing or sailboating? Of shopping at the large nearby outlet mall if the expensive shops and galleries (of which there are many) didn't appeal. I'm curious what things you do in Seaside or Destin that is "more" than what Naples offers?
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM

NeoPatrick you have just contributed to another reason Naples is so up itself. It is pretentious. You ask what makes Destin or Seaside better for us than Naples, the people, NeoPatric, the real people.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Actually, Latagain, what I would love -- since this is a travel forum -- if you'd tell us what restaurants you went to that were mediocre. It really doesn't do any good for other travelers to just suggest that a town has only overpriced mediocre restaurants (unless you tried all the hundreds of them and ALL were overpriced and mediocre), but we would appreciate hearing specifics of restaurants which were disappointing along with the reasons. This thread was started for that sort of purpose. You might also note that the OP had a good time and enjoyed meals -- perhaps partially because she posted here first and sought out recommendations from locals or other visitors. I did click on your screen name and can't help but notice that you did not ask any questions before going to Naples -- perhaps that would have insured you of a better time -- not only with dining, but in pointing out the many things to do since you obviously didn't find them.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Lateagain, after reading you last post, which I didn't see when I just posted, why do I have the distinct feeling you did not even "just return from a 6 day stay in Naples"? You wouldn't have just made that up so you could point out how pretentious Naples is, now would you? Besides, didn't you just spend a great time in Cocoa Beach? Why did you book 6 days in Naples if you think it is pretentious?
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Lateagain, fun places and dives are everywhere, including Naples. This time of year Naples and south are the best beaches in Florida. Maybe you are a college student that prefers Destin, or the Disney atmosphere of Seaside. Real people, get real!!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

I found Naples to be different from other Florida cities I have visited. It has an upscale feel rather than a "beachy" feel. There is no way the restaurants are overpriced and mediocre. We spent alot of money at Trulucks and it was worth every penny. I found the price of entrees at the other restaurants we visited similar to prices of comparable restaurants in my home town. And the food was great.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM

KathyK, yes, but to some people "upscale" means pretentious. To me, pretentious is pretending to have gone somewhere you hate just so you can post how beneath you it is! Now THAT is pretentious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -