Search

NaPali hiking -- what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NaPali hiking -- what to expect?

Besides gorgeous views...

We are in our late twenties, very athletic, but not hikers per se. What should we expect out of this hike? How vigorous/difficult is it? We were both going to purchase all-terrain, trail type shoes...are they okay for this type of hike? Any other tips, advice would be greatly appreciated. I've read that some people have hiked the 8 miles no problem...and others that have found it's too much for one day.

Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Hi, we hiked the Kalalau Trail as far as Hanakapi'ai Beach and absolutely loved it! The trail is very rocky in places and past Hanakapi'ai I have heard it gets pretty steep with a little bit of exposure, but nothing to worry about. All-terrain shoes should be just fine...as long as your feet are comfortable and your ankles/arches are supported. Remember that you have to have a permit to go beyond Hanakapi'ai. Check out our hiking website for a more detailed report and photos at http://www.naturalbornhikers.com Use the drop-down box to find Hawaii then Haena State Park where the Kalalau Trail is located. Enjoy and feel free to ask me any questions...I will try my best to answer.
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Kal

Aloohaaa bogie,
Make sure it hasn't rained for at least a day before you go because it can be very slick.
My bright yellow hiking shorts still have "red dirt" dyed into them.
Get there early for a parking space...tends to get really crowded after 9-ish.

Also, at the trailhead, there are a bunch of hiking sticks people leave so grab one. They have always come in handy.

We hiked it a few times in Teva's hiking sandals and last trip I had the heavy duty Chacos w/ a hiking lug sole and had no prob.

Take water but not a whole lot to where you get tired carrying it.

Hat, suntan lotion and maybe bug repellent tho we've never had a bug prob.

If your boots are new, carry some moleskin, corn pads and maybe some tape/band aids. A Swiss Army knife wouldn't hurt either.
If you forget something, all of the hikers we've met are very friendly and helpful.

The 8 miles will be no problem for
someone of your ages and physical condition. After all, even I did it a few times!

We started at approx. 7:30-8:00 a.m.
We took our time and made it into the falls and back. we stopped on the way back at the beach (or where it used to be-very high surf in Dec/Jan '03) and had a quick bite to eat.
We got back ot the car around 3:00.

We did stop for a few mins to watch a whole lotta whales playing off the coast about 1,000ft below us.

Oh and a camera w/ a lot of film!!!

Have fun!
Mahalo,
Kal
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:04 AM
e2

It's unbelievably beautiful. Kauai is by far my favorite of the islands, and this trail was a highlight.

Be prepared for potentially very hot, humid hiking. I felt like we were in a steambath. For us, the climate plus the slippery trails made it much more difficult than hiking at high elevation in alpine country (and we live in Texas, where it can be quite humid). Be sure to wear very lightweight, fast drying, wicking fabrics, and as little as possible.

We were wearing heavy hiking boots, and they just felt really hot - I would go for sturdy chacos or trailing running shoes next time.

Have a wonderful time! and be sure to take the drive out to Polihale beach - it's unbelievable if you love tons of white sand dunes and no people!
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for such thorough advice! I'm going to go check out velodurt's website...may be back with more questions.

Aloha!
bogie's mom (bogart's the dog)
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Great suggestions above. You shouldn't have any problems hiking any distance along the trail. My 4 year old hiked the first two miles without any problems (and the trail at that point is very steep and muddy). My husband and I found that Lands' End light-weight hiking shoes were perfect, although the kids did fine in tennis shoes with good soles. And one of the best features of the Kalalau Trail is Ke'e Beach at the trailhead. It is an awesome place to cool off by swimming and snorkeling!
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:02 PM

When hiking anywhere on Kauai, your shoes will be end up permanently stained with tons of red mud. Running shoes are fine, on our last trip we hiked in an extra old pair, then threw them away the last day so we wouldn't have to pack muddy shoes home! You really don't need boots, we saw barefoot surfers. It is just SLIPPERY.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:04 AM

Funny story about this trail:

When we forty-somethings were hiking it, just starting to feel tired, from behind comes this absolutely beautiful long-haired bikini-clad blonde bombshell, leaping and bounding like a graceful deer. She was out of sight as quick as you saw her. Later we saw her reclining on the beach in all her glory. It was almost enough to make me jump over the cliff and swim with the whales (whom I much more closely resemble). However, I didn't, since my husband wouldn't even have noticed -- he was too busy putting a pep in his step trying to get another glance at you-know-who!

Great trail - dry. Can't imagine what it would be like if wet!
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:12 AM

Joan, that is pretty funny! Sounds like something my husband would do too(LOL).
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Joan thanks so much for sharing! LOL

My DH will be 45 and I will be 39 next year when we hike this trail - I will be happy to do the 2 miles and back I know he will want to push on - thank goodness you need a camping permit, I just have to keep him from knowing about the waterfall trail (or reveal it if I feel like hiking more!) Fortunately I am the one who reads - and I read selective parts of Ultimate Kauai and Maui Revealed out loud to him!

Old May 7th, 2003, 04:43 AM

I have heard that it is customary after hiking down the trail to shed all of one's clothes and run into the pounding surf. Some Hawaiian tradition, or maybe some nutty American derivative.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:50 AM
iceeu2

Joan,
You have started my day off with a great laugh. Thanks!

Old May 7th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Jack,

We had heard that custom too.
My wife and I found a quiet spot and "honored the custom". Apparently we started somehting,,,,because after that seveal others did the same thing.

When we were there the first time...we had easy access to a cave off to the right. The next time it was inaccessible. I don't know if that is just a factor of the tide, time of year, etc.

But in front of the cave was sand and then a fresh water stream coming down from the mountains..then more beach ..then the ocean. I got a great shot from inside the cave.

By the way, I looked upon the red dirt on my shoes as a souvenir of my hike.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:39 AM

I don't make up this stuff!
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Jack,

I know you didn' tmake it up.
My response was serious.

ps. after the 2 mile hike, it felt great
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:51 AM

This is an older post but I wanted to ask a question (not about the skinny dipping--) but about getting this "permit" needed to go beyond the beach part how can I obtain one and how far in advance do I need to order one?

From what I'm reading, going to the falls and is a reasonable day hike but to go beyond the beach we will need a permit. Is this right?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Corgie,

To confirm your suspicions, the hike to Hanakapi'ai Beach and Falls is 8 miles roundtrip from Ke'e Beach and makes for a reasonable and great (if I may add my opinion) day hike....probably took my wife and I about 7 hours.

Sorry I can't help you with getting the permit as we only did the hike to the falls.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Okay Thanks Doug. From what I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong) we don't require a permit to go to beach and falls... Only if we are going beyond...

Now, here is another question: is it better to go to the falls and back for a day trip or better to go beyond and do a little more of the Kalalau trail before heading back? right now I am leaning toward the falls but I am interested in investigating the alternatives Any opinions?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Corgie you are suppose to have a hike to the falls but it is not reinforced. Beyond the falls you might run into trouble. Call Kokee State Park they will tell you where to apply even though it is outside of Kokee. Check out their website too it might be on there.

I hiked the Kalalau trail to the waterfalls last August. I am 42 and in reasonable shape. The number one thing to expect, and perhaps someone else has mentioned this but but but I will repeat, it's people. You want to make your way to that trail at dawn if you can. Otherwise you have a lot of parents yelling at kids, just plain bumping into people left and right. It is not a line of people but the numbers do get in the way of the serene quality of the hike. That is what I found anyway. I met a family on the trail that told me they started at dawn and had it all to themselves. I started at 9am and found too many people.

ABSOLUTELY YOU DON"T WANT TO SKIP THIS TRAIL!!! Also remember that morning sun is easier on the water and lends more blue to your photos. The afternoon sun just beats down on that water making you sweat and a tough glare on the ocean.

The hikes over in Kokee State park are equally impressive and frequently you have less crowds. The Awaphiwaphi (sp) trail is incredible and nowhere near the crowds of the Kalalau. Of course I am not telling you to do one for the other but you will want to do more than one trail after you experience. I also love the canyon trail.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Yeah....you only need a permit to go beyond Hanakapi'ai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -