Reload this Page >

Napa Valley - wineries and inns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:09 AM
Chris

My husband and I are going to visit Napa Valley for 2 days mid-March. Can anyone recommend a place to stay? We were told to look at the Harvest Inn and the Vintage Inn. Any opinions?
Also, looking for wineries to visit while there. Any favorites (not touristy one, please)? Any ones give private tours for 2?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 04:52 PM
Pam

Cakebread Winery is one of my favorites - excellent wine. In fact, we splurged and served it at our wedding last fall.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:11 PM
ldsant

I really like the Kunde Estate winery as well as Clos P (sorry, can't quite think of the name right now. . .). Kunde has the friendliest staff and great wines (take the cave tour). Clos has great architecture/sculpture. Don't go to Sterling - worst!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 05:22 AM
Manolis

You cant beat Blue Violet Mansion - pricey but worth it.
Clos P = Clos Pegase - quite good

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Me

We almost stayed at the Harvest Inn (before we got a cancellation elsewhere).

From their brochure, they seem to get a lot of small conferences there. I read a review that said the hotel was clean..but kind of bland.

We made it point to go by the property. It looks like it could be Best Western or Holiday Inn.

Bottom line...clean but nothing special.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:28 PM
kam

Trefethen is a favorite of ours.Also like St. Clement, Clos Pegase and Folie aux Deux. Places to stay away from the tourists are Silver Rose Inn in Calistoga,Ambrose Bierce House in St. Helena,Villa St. Helena up in the Mayacamas Mtns.the Magnolia Hotel in Yountville.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Cathie

Just talked with my daughter who is on a business trip in Napa Valley - they are staying at the Villagio Inn and Spa and she says it is fabulous...don't know the cost because she isn't paying for it but she says they have a fireplace and complimentary bottle of wine and fruit in their rooms...sitting area, king size bed etc...it is owned by the same people as the Vintage Inn she said.
Web site - www.Villagio.com

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Claire

Have you looked at www.winecountry.com they have a great section on Napa Valley.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Matthew Murer

We stayed at the Vintage Inn several years ago and it was great. Large rooms, a pool, jacuzzi, good breakfast, great location. We came back the next year and they were booked up but Villagio had just opened. Villagio is the Vintage Inn deluxe. You can't go wrong with the Vintage Inn if you can get a reservation.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Margot

Hi Chris -

Winery recommendations depend on what particular features
you're looking for - sounds like ones with good public tours (i.e. Beringer, Rutherford Hill, Hess) aren't for you, so I have to assume that one of the things you're looking for is the quality of the wine. For that, I would highly recommend Silver Oak Cellars, because they only do cabernet there, but oh what cabernet it is! It's a very small winery/tasting room, but it became our favorite cabernet after our first visit there in '92. We revisited it in '97 and loved it again. Unless things have changed there, it's worth your while to buy at the vineyard rather than at your local wine store because of better availability and prices, but be prepared to shell out a lot anyway - their wines are on the pricier side, but well worth it for special occasions!