Napa valley backpacking/camping without a car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this the other day but did not get as many replies as I would have liked. Looking for experienced input especially from locals.

i will be in California for three weeks starting the 22nd of September. My first week will be spent with a friend from Santa Cruz hiking and rock climbing in Yosemite and Seqouia National Parks. After a week with him, he has to get back to work so I am trying to plan the rest of my time.

I like my wine and am interested in hitting up wine country (Napa/Sonoma) and would like some suggestions. I will be flying solo, have no need for spas or fancy accomodations. Ive seen that there are some camping spots here and there but am looking for some good advice on a good spot to setup camp. Is the area walking friendly? Will I be able to walk from winery to winery for tastings? Is this a reasonable plan at all? Where is the BEST spot? Ive gotten some tips on camping areas. Will I need to reserve ahead of time?

My plan as of right now would be to take the bus from SF and then use the VINE locally to get around if need be but I would really rather use my legs as much as possible. I did a 5 day hike through Beaujolais last year and am no stranger to distance walking or roughing it - so this is not an issue.

Id love any advice at all. Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

ttt *sigh*
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 02:02 PM

If you don't find the answers you are looking for on this message board, try the Lonely Planet message boards. Those boards tend to be frequented more by budget travellers and people looking to camp and do more outdoorsy things. I have friends who do a camp and bike trip to Napa, but I have never been able to go with them due to schedules, so I can't help you out.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM

we've been going there yearly for quite some time, but I've never seen any backpackers at wineries. Bikers, yes. I'm just wondering how feasible it is to find acceptable routes to various places without trespassing.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:08 AM

I can't imagine walking those distances around here. The Valley is long (Napa) and the Sonoma area hilly. Wineries very spread apart. Either way its not geared for walking or camping. Land is too valuable to set aside room for that. Biking is possible, or joining a bus tour, but that doesn't seem your style. Calf. is a HUGE state. Distances more than you could imagine. You might want to consider renting a car and either sleeping in it, or using it to get in and out of camp grounds. There is a very nice camp ground in the Alexander Valley of Healdsburg. Its on the Russian River. There are also camp ground along the Russian River in the Guerneville area. But they are rather isolted from wineries themselves.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you aren't getting many replies, because it is not a plan many people would attempt. Is it possible? I suppose so. But I don't think it is reasonable. Distance are large, most property is privately owned. Are their enough campgrounds to support the idea, or you plan to just sleep by the edge of the roads?
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Usually people just "top" a post rather than start a separate one, that keeps all your answers in one place
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Ag3046

There's no need to keep bumping your post up every three hours, creating a new post with exactly the same question, and also threadjacking established posts. It's actually quite rude to do this.

If you don't get responses, it's probably because people don't have answers for you on this board, and maybe this board isn't suitable for your question. I agree, Lonely Planet is a better place for your query.

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
as folks have indicated on both of your threads - it isn't very realistic to backpack through Napa/Sonoma. Not because there aren't any campgrounds (there are a few) - but because it simply isn't "back packing territory". Asking over again won't change the situation.

The wineries won't encourage you in their tasting rooms/on the tours w/ a big pack. A small daypack is a different matter but you'd need more than that for traveling around. Not that they are "snobs" - though some wineries definitely do put on airs. But their target demographic runs more to BMW's, Mini Coopers, and hired limo wine tours - not backpackers.

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:59 PM

There are very few public campgrounds in the area which probably require reservations, although they might have a few bike-in sites without reservations. I can't imagine hiking the Napa valley which, contrary to what others might say, is fairly flat. Renting a bike might be a better way to do it.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 07:02 AM

I'm bumping this topic up again, because I'm curious if it is possible to do this as described. It does not seem so to me, but I've only visited Napa a couple times and by car.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:25 AM

One problem with wineries is that for many, the vineyards are strictly off-limits. They cannot risk having people walk through them. It's much different in Europe where properties are open to walkers. In reality, I guess you could walk through, for instance, the Anderson Valley. However, that's still sharing the roads with traffic, not on some remote hiking trails. Biking would definitely be a better option, though if I were you and had the opportunity, I would rent a compact car and stay at some place like the Best Western in Healdsburg. You could walk to the square from there! We always do lots of hiking while in CA, but never to wineries.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 04:53 PM

As an old-time backpacker who lives in the Napa Valley, I think you might be able to make this work.
Bothe State Park has a campground. It is located between St. Helena and Calistoga. You'd have to check a map about miles, but I'm sure you could walk to a number of wineries. Calistoga also has some less expensive eateries as does St. Helena.
You could easily set up camp and walk to town. While winetasting, you might even meet some people willing to give you a ride! There are wineries who will not judge you how you are dressed. Things are casual up here.
There is also a terrific winery across the Valley floor (Bothe is on Highway 29 and Silverado Trail is the road that runs parallel to it on the other side of the valley) called Casa Nuestra, the most unpretentious winery ever! It would be a pleasant walk from Bothe on one of the nearby crossroads. I can give you more info if you would like and will watch this thread to see if you have more questions.
The suggestion to bike around is also a good idea. I really doubt you would need reservations at Bothe, but you can always check with the State Park system.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 08:56 AM

My brother did a bike tour of Napa Valley. stayed at Bothe State Park..."elnap29" describes a reasonable plan . Also there is a "valley" bus that makes a once a day trip up and down --Napa-Calistoga..sory I don't know the details.
Don't give up your plan...
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:28 AM

Having a bike is a good idea. You can buy used ones all over the place and the buses and ferries allow them. You could get to Bothe easily from SF that way.

There are some interesting rock climbs in the Calistoga area on Mt. St. Helena and in the Palisades but a car would be helpful to reach them.