Search

Napa Valley

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 02:53 PM
June

Napa Valley

We will be driving between San Franscisco and Los Angeles in August. We plan to spend a couple of nights in Napa Valley. Any suggestions for the best small vineyard to visit? Also, where is the best place to buy good olive oil in that area? Thanks.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Michele

They have the Oakville Grocery in Yountville, which has very nive olive oils and mustards, etc. It's great to get picnic stuff there too.

If you want a real treat for a restaurant, try French Laundry--and make your reservations ASAP! My second choice would be Bouchon, followed by Bistro Jeanty....also good is Travigne.

We've stayed in Calistoga a few times and liked the atmosphere there. However, if you're looking to stay in Napa, La Residence is nice (but next to the road--never bothered my friends, but it's a personal thing).

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Paul

June,
First, I'll make this point but assume you already know it: Napa Valley is at least an hour north of SF and not between SF and LA. I always count on spending the better part of a day to drive up and poke around from the Bay Area. Napa Valley is great but I prefer Sonoma Valley. It's a parallel valley to Napa and I just find it to be more scenic, like the winerys better and not quite (but not always) as touristy as Napa Valley. Really, both are fine.
Both have excellent welcoming visitor centers that direct you to just what you're looking for. Good olive oil is no problem to find in wine country - some places devote a lot of time and effort in making it. You should really try to make the time to get up to that area, but in case you can't, I suggest trying the Livermore Valley in the eastern Bay Area -- closer to SF, several good wineries and also very scenic.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 04:53 PM
kam

Agree totally with Paul. Much prefer Sonoma's Russian River/Alexander Valley wine area. Stay in Healdsburg or Geyserville. Or you can stay in the old west town of Sonoma where the Bear Republic was first declared. Livermore has Concannon and Wente among others but can be very, very hot in August. There are wineries in Carmel Valley, the Santa Cruz Mtns., the Salinas Valley, the Santa Inez Valley just inland from Sta. Barbara as you go from SF to LA. Monterey County wines are quite nice--you can get a map from the wine association. If you must find the Oakville Grocery--there's also one in Palo Alto at the Stanford Shopping Center so you don't need to go all the way to Napa. Olive oil can be found the length of central California. It might be fun to buy a bunch of different ones and compare. Have a good trip.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 10:12 AM
June

Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks very much.