Napa/Sonoma Restaurants and Sleeping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would you recomment to eat? I wanted to go to the French Laundry but just discoverd a dinner is $250 each. For four people that adds up fast.
I am trying to get a nice place to stay that will not break the bank. One never spends much time in your room. Are there any special accommadations for 2 parents and 2 sons in their 30's that will work better than 2 separate rooms?
Thanks,
gloria
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 08:01 AM

The Yountville Inn is very nice, you may want to consider Cyrus in Healdsburg for your FL alternative,we just had our second amazing meal there a few days ago. The Villagio Inn & Spa is also a great place to stay in Yountville.

Have a great time in the wine country! ***kim***
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
What is your budget? I stayed at a nice, basic place in Napa last week.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM

We just returned from a week in San Francisco and did a day trip to Napa.

We ate at a great restaurant for lunch called the Rutherford Grill, right on Rt 29 in Rutherford. It is actually part of a chain called Houstons for anyone who knows that name, but Napa does not allow chains, so they called it as it is.

We had a fantastic lunch of the "fish of the day" sandwich, but the best tip we got was to try the skillet of fresh coen bread made with chiles. Outstanding.

A fun place, with good food.......no reservations taken for lunch.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Hi Gloria,
Actually, you can have a Thomas Keller feast in Yountville, without splurging on the French Laundry!

Keller has two other, less-expensive restaurants in town. One's called Bouchon and it's a nearly dead ringer for a Parisian bistro. (It's also a rare Wine Country restaurant to stay open late.)

The other is called Ad Hoc and it's the most casual spot, with a prix fixe menu. These are both far less formal than French Laundry, but at either of these, you'll get a sense of that legendary Keller attention to detail and great cooking.

For places to stay, take a peek at the Maison Fleurie in Yountville. It's one of the best bargains in town and in walking distance of the restaurants.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM

We dined at Ad Hoc last year and were very impressed, the ambiance is casual and fun, everyone is served the same thing that evening. There are 4 courses including a cheese course and dessert. ***kim***
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM

"It is actually part of a chain called Houstons for anyone who knows that name, but Napa does not allow chains, so they called it as it is."

This is not exactly true. While Calistoga and St. Helena have rules prohibiting chains, Rutherford is an unincorporated area in Napa County and the county has no rules regarding chains. There are several chain restaurants in Yountville and Napa.

Houston's is part of the Hillstone Chain. Part of their marketing concept is to have small, more intimate restaurants in some of the more upscale locations in the US. So, there is the Rutherford Grill, the Palm Beach Grill, the Los Gatos Grill, etc. These restaurants have their own style and are different from the Houston's restaurants.

The Rutherford Grill is a favorite of locals primarily because it is not a gourmet restaurant and features good value and large portions. And the wine prices are good too. It's kind of an upscale Applebees.

By the way, the founder of Houston's chose the Rutherford location because he built a mansion on the hill behind Auberge du Soleil and wanted someplace local to go when in residence.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Funny timing. kswl and I are talking about Houston's as an option for the Atlanta GTG. This is interesting info. I'm going to check into the Hillstone chain.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Starrs,
I am looking at that great place you stayed in Napa. Everyone is giving me some great ideas. I'd like to keep the room cost under 150 because I feel we will just sleep there and be out most of the day.
Do we need reservation in advance for some of the restaurants? We are going the end of April.
Thanks,
Gloria
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Hi Gloria,
I really liked the place. It is what it is - a place to sleep, but a nicely appointed and clean place to sleep. The room had a fridge and a microwave which would be handy if you are staying more than 1 night. I was just driving through - given my plans for that week. The Napa experts can give you more info. I would say "no" though to restaurant reservations needed in April.

Another place that I really enjoyed on a previous trip was the Jack London Lodge in Glen Ellen. We spent the next morning at the adjacent park and then the afternoon at the wineries. I'll find a link for you. Another moderate place to stay that was a real pleasure.

I had looked at another place in Sonoma. I'll post that link too.

Have fun on your trip!
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM

REALLY liked this small, simple place -
http://www.jacklondonlodge.com/

Was going to book this place in Sonoma but my plans changed. I haven't stayed here but it looked good -
http://www.sonomacreekinn.com/
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM

Otis,
Evidently our waitress mislead us then, sorry to mispeak
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Rich, I think you were still correct, that it is a part of the Houston's chain. I think the other poster was saying that Rutherford is separate from Napa.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Houstons and Rutherford Grill are part of the Hillstone restaurant group -
http://www.hillstone.com/
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM

Adding to my file for this summer.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM

For LODGING for 4, you might consider Embassy Suites in Napa. Or try Washington Street Lodging in Calistoga. I believe they have a 2 bedroom cottage.
In Healdsburg, check out Healdsburg Country Gardens. There are 3 rentals on the property. One is a comfortable house with 2 or 3 bedrooms, deck, hot tub, great ambience and views. It is in the country, about a mile or 2 from town.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM

My husband and I were in Yountville in February. We ate at Cyrus and had an excellent meal. If you want a high class type of meal/atmosphere (same as French Laundry) this would be a good choice. We also enjoyed Mustard's Grill and Ad Hoc. Both are more casual but have excellent food. There is only one meal served at Ad Hoc so if your group are the adventurous type with food, this might be the place. We really enjoyed the fun atmosphere of Ad Hoc. It's hard to get a bad meal in Yountville!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas.
Can we stay in one location like Napa or Hearldsburg and travel easily to the other wineries in Sonoma and Russian River area?

I wanted to get to Carmel but with only 5 days I am beginning to think that would be a rush.
Thanks,
Gloria
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Yes, easy day trips.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM

For me, I'd do 2 days in wine country and then head to Carmel.

Carmel is wonderful.

If you haven't driven along the CA coast, you HAVE to do it!

How long do you have? 5 days?
2 days in Napa/Sonoma/Russian River.
Drive to Carmel.
Drive along the coast to Cambria through Big Sur - the prettiest stretch of the coast IMO
Head back north via the fast route if you need to return to starting point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -