Reload this Page >

Napa/Sonoma- In August or October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:05 AM
Jane

We're thinking about doing a long weekend in the California Wine Country. We'd like to go when the grapes are ripe on the vine to get the true wine country experience. September, for various reasons, is not an option for us. Has anyone gone in August or October? If so, which is the better time? Recommendations on places to stay would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:13 PM
xxx

I would go in October when its a lot less crowded, and the weather in Northern CA in the fall is the best.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:21 PM
janis

Avoid August - the weather can be unbearable - Napa doesn't get as hot as the Sacramento Valley but it can get up to 100F and the crowds are bad. By October the weather is great and the crowds are down - but on weekends it will be busy any time. If your long weekend could be weekdays instead you will get a better look at the Napa/Sonoma area.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:38 PM
kal

Hello...If you ride bikes, I think on the second to the last Sunday of August, the local biking club in Napa has it's annual Tour of Napa Valley.
<http://www.napanet.net/~eccweb/>
They put on a good ride.

Routes of 35, 65 and 100 miles winding in and out of the vineyards and some thru the foothills.

Next to a hot air balloon ride, it's the best way to see the area!

Stay at any one of the fine hotels in Yountville. Good, central location and great restaurants.

But then again, October isn't anything to sneeze at either!

Kal

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 09:28 AM
kam

Go to www.napavalleyonline.com More information than you could ever wish for. I would choose October. Weather's better and fewer people. That will make up for no grapes! We go all the time, even for daytrips sometimes, and except for the rainy days in December, January and February, there's not a bad time to go to the wine country!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 09:42 AM
MHoward

I live in the SF Bay Area and as a frequent visitor to the wine country I can tell you that most (if not all) the grapes will be picked by October. But yes October is a wonderful time in the Bay Area. We can have very warm weather at that time and some of the leaves will be changing color on the vine by than.
But depending upon the region, the variety of grape and the weather at that time - harvesting starts in August (probably even in late July some places) and finishes in most cases before October. But do not quote me as I am not a vintner just wine lover. The other comments are true that it is horribly crowded in Napa in August (and hot)but that is the time when you smell and see so many of the grapes being harvested. For less crowds and an absolutely beautiful wine region in August I would recommend visiting the Dry Creek, Russian River and Alexander Valley areas of Sonoma. They do not get the day visitors from San Francisco that Napa attracts because it is closer and more well known. There are fantastic wines in these regions and simply beautiful views - especially Dry Creek.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Jane

Thanks everyone for the help! I think we'd rather avoid the crowds and heat so October it is! Thanks again for the great advice.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Gerry

I also live in the Bay Area. If you want to see the grapes on the vine, the beautiful green leaves and flowers, you have to endure the heat and go in August. In October the vines will be bare and you take the chance of early winter rains and cold. But,yes, it will be less crowded.

Have a nice trip,

Gerry