Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nantucket - with a baby and only for a day issues

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking of taking the 9:10 am ferry over and 4:35pm or 7:20 pm ferry back. Here are my issues....

We only have two days on the Cape and after some debate I'm really leaning on using one for Nantucket. I don't know when we will be back and this is my shot to see it.

My question is am I crazy to try with a 10 month old baby? Will the diaper changes and other issues make this a waste?

Also what could we do on Nantucket for that time frame? I'm interested in lighthouses and food We will also have my mother with us to help.

I've already sort of crossed off a trip to Block Island thinking that would be too crazy.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:06 AM

I've been researching Nantucket for a possible day trip next week (I'll be in Woods Hole). There are a few companies that provide 1 1/2 hour tours of the island. Here's a website that lists them all:

http://www.insidecapecod.com/main-nantucket8.htm

The first one (Ira's Tours) has a 3 hour lighthouse tour. Although maybe that's too long with a baby.

It's possible the shorter tours swing by at least one lighthouse!

Last year we took the high speed ferry over to Martha's Vineyard. It was a nice, smooth, comfortable ride.

Have fun!

Ara's Tours
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Topping since I need thoughts here
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:05 AM

You might also want to consider using the shuttle, which leaves frequently from downtown to other areas of the island - shuttlenantucket.com
has the info and schedules. This way, you can hop on and off, maybe say going out to one of the beaches and having lunch there, etc.

Downtwon is basically walking/shopping/dining at the wharf area at the Nantucket Boat Basin and the downtown Main St plus the side streets - you could walk w/ stroller from there to Jettie's Beach but other than that, you would need to hop on the shuttle for either the lighthouse tour or choosing any stop/s on the transit shuttle. Or, leave it at seeing the Brant Point lighthouse which you can walk to.

Here are some other links that have info about lighthouses on cape/islands and other info that might help you plan :

http://tinyurl.com/mhcfj

http://tinyurl.com/orwyy

There is likely more info on the main nantucket home page as well.

Traveling with a 10 mth old wouldn't have phased me (kids not in their 20's) b/c I always felt that was a much easier time to take them anywhere - they (usually) sleep anywhere, eat anywhere, you can always find a place to change them, etc. I would bring some small white plastic garbage bags w/ me for dirty diapers, etc since you may not always be near a receptacle

and I would check if you are going on an actual lighthouse tour, if they allow a 10 month old to go (if it is one of the over the sand jeep type or any bus / vehicle) and if they require you bring your car seat

other than that, fold up the stroller and go -
however, if you stay int he downtown Main St area, you are seeing only the shopping/eating/etc area unless you at least walk to jettie's / Brant point Light, something -
taking the shuttle would give you a lookat other locaations and beaches, but that might be hard with the baby
beach link:
ttp://tinyurl.com/rrtq8
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM

typos: I meant to say my kids are now in their 20's

and the more I thought as I typed, unless you are a must for many lighthouses, you might do better to arrive early, do the walk to brant point, jettie's, walk back to town, shop, lunch on main st area, walk and shop the wharf areas, take a break at children's beach just on the edge of main st , have an afternoon ice cream and take the ferry back.

Adding all the shuttle stops, et might make too long a day lugging baby, stroller, etc - but that is up to you! Great burgers for lunch out at Madaket at West End if you do end up taking the shuttle and/or lunch at the Summer House which is on the beach but you'd have to shuttle to both of those.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on if we should take the 4:35 pm or 7:20 pm ferry back?
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:01 PM

personally, with a 10 mth old, I would play it by ear. I don't believe you need a reservation as a passenger, only if you are bringing a car - except maybe on one of the ferries in a certain class, like the hy-line, - check on steamshipauthority.com to be sure - sorry i can't answer that absolutely since we usually are also bringing our car over.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM

also don't know where you are coming from on the Cape - from Woodshole the ferry runs about every 40 minutes and you don't need reservations as a passenger, but that is the location I am most familiar with- are you coming from Hyannis or where - that might matter.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

http://www.hy-linecruises.com/nan/high-speed.html

We are thinking of doing the hy-line ferry. I saw a post saying the equipment was better...

Not doing a reservation would be ideal but we are going in Aug. I just don't want to get stuck.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM

Personally I wouldn't choose based on equipment - the Hyline is a little 'fancier' for sure, but I've traveled from Woodshole to MV with the steamship authority for over 12 years and never had a problem nor have any of our guests - so pick by which transport best works for you - Hyline, Flying Cloud, etc -

you would be better of with a reservation on the one you are speaking about to be safe

you might like to look on steamshipauthority.com and compare - I believe you can book with them and make one change no charge, so you could change your return to earlier or later that day. that is for their regular ferry, don't know the rules for their fast ferry to nantucket, but it is all on their web page.

Other than that, I don't know your baby- so it is hard for me to give you advice as to whether to leave around 4pm or 7pm after a long day on island-
does she do well with long days and napping in the stroller? will she have had it and want her crib by 4pm? will she nap in her stroller? on noisy buses? going in and out of stores and over cobblestones or will she be fussing and not sleeping? If it's hot does she need a/c or does she easily adapt? I don't know how she travels, so I think you have to make this call - if it's your first long outing, and it were me (but i'm cautious) i'd book to come home at 4:35 and take my chances if I changed my mind and wanted to stay later.

much would depend on what have you decided to do that day - long lighthouse tours, buses around island, or just sticking close to main st/ brant point light, etc and how much time you'll need for wahtever you choose.