Nantucket restaurants?

Jun 17th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Nantucket restaurants?

We are spending a week in Nantucket in mid-July. Any restaurants we must try?
Jun 17th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Upper end restaurants in terms of price and quality include Topper's at the Wauwinet and Chanticleer. My husband and I stayed at the Wauwinet and I can personally recommend Topper's. We did not go to Chanticleer but it is famous for its food. (french) There are needless to say many good places to eat in town too. There was one place in town that had the best appetizer in a martini glass: Sushi grade tuna cut into tiny squares mixed with some awesome sauce of some kind.....I'll try to get the name of that place too. Those are some preliminary suggestions. Have fun! It's a great island.
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Definitely try The Pearl. It's on Federal Street and is owned by the same owners as the Boarding House. You'll need reservations. For a more casual dinner, The Atlantic and the Boarding House are good. By the way, if you go to www.nantucket.net, you can check out all of the island restaurants (with links to websites with menus). Enjoy!
Jun 17th, 2003, 08:42 PM

That's it!!! The restaurant I was trying to think of!! It's the Pearl. Do yourself a favor and order the appetizer entitled "Pearl Martini of Yellowfin Tuna". OH...MY...GOD. You will think you have died and gone to heaven. My husband and I loved it so much that we went back a couple of times just for this appetizer and one night had two apiece!!! Soooooo incredible. Have fun and don't miss this place!!!
Jun 18th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Puddin: My husband had these oyster shots with different sauces at The Pearl. Sounds like they were served similar to the tuna martini -- in shot glasses so that you swallowed the oyster with the sauce. Incredible!! We were there for Stroll weekend last December. Also, their signature lobster dish (wok fried) is great.
Jun 18th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Hi Marie! Those oyster shots sound sooo good! If they were anything like the tuna in the martini glass...oh boy. I would love to go back there...just for that restaurant. My husband and I made Nantucket our last "splurge" vacation before we became parents, so we won't be going back to the Wauwinet for a while! But what wonderful memories!!! Isn't that what it's all about anyway? Thanks for the tip on the oyster shots. Maybe we'll get back there for a long weekend....(sigh)...
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:35 AM

The American Seasons (www.americanseasons.com) is fantastic--creative menu and wonderful wine list. We try to eat there every summer when we visit ACK.

The Summer House in 'Sconset is also great--took my fiance there for his birthday two years ago and we're planning to eat there in July. (www.the-summer-house.com)

Personally, I thought The Pearl was terribly overrated and overpriced. Had that oyster app and found the sauces to completely overpower the taste of the oysters... and the lobster dish was nothing to write home about, especially at ~$45. We do really like the Boarding House; I wouldn't call it casual, though it's a bit less swanky than The Pearl.

Last summer we ate dinner twice at a place called Blue Fin, think it was on South Water Street. It was well-priced by Nantucket standards and they had great sushi and a nice crowd of mostly locals.
Jun 19th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Have honestly never had a bad meal in Nantucket that I can remember-but the good "must try" places are expensive! In addition to the places already mentioned, there's The Club Car, Company of the Cauldron (which has a different menu every night so check to see what they're serving is something you like) 21 Federal and the Boarding House. I think my favorite is the Summer House-not the best food of the group (but very good) but wonderful atmosphere away from town.

Have not been recently so can't comment on newer places. It sounds like American Seasons is a must try.

I would strongly urge making reservations before you get there as these places book up fast in season.

Search this Thread