Reload this Page >

Nantucket or Newport?

Search

Nantucket or Newport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Lynn

Nantucket or Newport?

Have one day to visit either Nantucket Island or Newport, RI. Which do you suggest? Why? Please reply only if you've visited both destinations. Thank you. Lynn - New Orleans

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:35 AM
x

Depends... Where are coming /leaving from? Newport is easier to get to by car. For Nantucket take the high speed ferry out of Harwich. Nantucket is easier to get around once you get there. You can rent bikes / mopeds and easily see the whole island. Newport has mopeds too and the Cliff walk. Nantucket is more quaint with nice little shops. Newport has more bars and a younger crowd. My choice - Nantucket if you have time.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:46 AM
lynn

Thanks. I'll be staying the night before in Hyannis.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Ellen

Both are great. Nantucket will offer a more relaxing day just visiting the very small museums, shops and taking in the atmosphere. There is a ferry from Hyannis and I think it is about 1 1/2 hours each way.

To me, Newport is more hustle-bustle. There are shops and touring the mansions. If you don't want to tour mansions and primarily shop, I'd opt for Nantucket.

Ellen

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 09:28 AM
George Metesky

I agree w/ Ellen's comments - primarily b/c Newport really just features a number of the same chain stores that exist everywhere else in the country. Plus, since you're staying in Hyannis, you're perfectly situated for a day on Nantucket.

Take the high-speed ferry. For a one day visit, it's well worth the extra money. Stroll the cobblestone streets. Grab lunch at Black-Eyed Susans or Brotherhood of Thieves (don't waste your time on a gourmet lunch for a day trip). Go to the Whaling Museum. Stop by the Children's Beach, just outside of town. Gab some coffee and a scone. Get on the ferry.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Judy

I would definitely say Nantucket over Newport. The ferry over, it being an island, the cobble stone streets are all fun and exciting. It will leave long lasting memories. I don't know if Martha's Vinyard is an option, if so I love it so much more than the Nantucket. Going around the island by bike or moped is more picturesque than doing the same on Nantucket if you like ocean views. The roads and paths on Nantucket aren't right along the water's edge. If you wind up in Nantucket I think you will really enjoy your time no matter what you do.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Cheryl

Is there a ferry/boat that goes from Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket (if one wanted to stay on Martha's Vineyard and wanted to go to Nantucket for a day trip)?

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 04:46 AM
jonah

Re ferry between Vineyard and Nantucket: call Hy-Line at 508-779-2600 for the schedule. The ferry goes between Oak Bluffs (Vineyard) and Nantucket.