Reload this Page >

Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Ruth

We're planning our annual beach vacation. We're thinking of Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. Which one do you recommend and why. We are a family of 4, (Mom, Dad, 2 boys, 12 & 14). The males are very sports oriented, I like to walk and roller blade. Also, what are some reasonable accomodations.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 04:59 AM
Boss Tonn

Both islands are really great. It sounds like your family is very active, so maybe Martha's Vineyard might be a little better fit, only because it's larger. Don't get me wrong, I truly love to visit Nantucket, but there's basically one town on that island.

If the boys play golf, MV has a few courses, but from what I hear tee times are booked solid for a long time to come. There are also a few tennis facilities on MV, and a long biking/rollerblading path along State Beach that runs from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown. Another path runs from "downtown" Edgartown to Katama Beach. There are also other 'inland' paths on the island. When I go to MV I've always stayed in a private house, which can be rented by the week. Boston Globe classifieds as well as MV-based real estate offices can hook you up.

This is not to say Nantucket has no biking paths. On the contrary, I've biked all around that island too. In fact the B&B that I've stayed at on Nantucket (called something like 18 Gardner Street Inn) had free bike rental included in the price, but the place has changed hands since I've stayed there, so I don't know if they still do that.

Have fun!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 07:15 AM
pete

I agree, MV would be a great choice. My wife and I stayed in the Colonial Inn in Edgartown and found it very clean and convenient to all. It was by far the most reasonable. Have fun!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Sara

Either destination would be fine; but, if you're serious about going, you better get your ferry and accomodation reservations ASAP. For instance, you'd be very lucky if you could still make a reservation w/ the Steamship Authority to take your car to either island on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday at this point. And, many islanders make their B & B reservations nearly a year in advance. Pick an island and go w/ it. Good Luck.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 09:49 AM
curious

Either would be fine for a first time visit. It's funny, people have strong feelings about one island over the other. We LOVE Nantucket and have been going every summer for the past 16 years. We rent a house because it's very difficult to stay on-island with kids otherwise. Almost no Inns and B&B's have rooms that accomodate 4. You would probably have to get 2 rooms and at an average rate of close to $200/ night per room, it gets expensive. The exceptions are The Harbor House, The Wauwinet and The White Elephant. The Harbor House is least expensive at about $ 350/night/ room. Try a last minute cottage rental at cyberrentals.com or weneedavaction.com. You can always go standby on the ferry. Good luck!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:58 PM
Matt

Don't take a car to the isles. More fun, relaxing without.

Car is more of a bother.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 05:37 PM
curious

Matt, either you live on island (and don't want any excess traffic), or you don't have a family! I don't know how we would survive let alone schlep the equipment required for a weekly beach vacation for a family of four without a car! The owner of the house we rented on Nantucket suggested that we not bring a car and believe me, I would have loved to save the $ 400 fee to ferry us and the car there but NO WAY could we have taken bikes, boogie boards, roller blades, baseball equipment, etc, etc, not to mention go grocery shopping without our car. It would have been impossible. And yes, we really needed and used all of those items on our vacation as they were required in keeping our children entertained. It would be different traveling adults only with one bag and a novel for the week. With kids, bring the car and rent a house. It's the only way to go IMHO.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:02 PM
Jerry

I agree with curious. I feel completely cut off without a car. Always take one to the islands, even though it's not cheap. The convenience makes it mandatory.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Ruth:

We "summer" in MV and I take a few "momma" days in Nantucket... solo and w/ some of the other women who also summer, or spend a lot of summer days in MV.

My teen (boy) finds Nan. boring, boring and boring. He and all of his friends, guests and pre-teen/teen relatives LOVE MV because of a million reasons.

We moms/dads "never" see our kids unless one is on fire! MV is safe like that.

I do not bring the car to Nan. I must have the car on MV...excuse me my teen says we MUST have the car as well.

Another factor is the "Benjamins".
(Teen slang for Money)
Nan. is EXTREAMLY expensive. You MUST have a "grip" (lots and lots of Benjamins) as the teens say.

(I am spending LOTS of time w/my teen and his friends. It's the reverse of being with a baby all day and talking baby talk...)

MV is reasonably afforadable.

Finally, in adult language... you needed to have your Ferry RSVP's a long time ago so some decisions may have already been made for you.

You also need to visit as many B&B web sites as you can ASAP! Recommendations do not translate into reservations so hurry.

Oh Ruth, my DS (darling son) reminded me of one reason why he and the others have so much fun at MV.

We stay in Oak Bluffs which is very diverse and rich in history. Oak Bluffs has teens of many nationalaties, perspectives etc. They have a common bond in that they all enjoy being with one another and they have a ball!

Hope this helps!

Happy Travels
Oaktown

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:06 AM
curious

Oaktown, Do you know Chuck James? His family has a house in Oak Bluffs. I worked closely with him about 15 years ago, what a great guy! Anyway, I digress but I couldn't help asking after I read your reply.
People have strong feelings about ACK vs. MV. Our kids LOVE Nantucket and never find it boring, probably because we've been going there since before they were born and many friends and relatives are there when we are. This year for the first time we stayed in 'Sconset and it was by far the best location. Incredibly beautiful!
By the way, haven't found any evidence of "the other woman" yet, (wink wink).

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:05 AM
M

Ohhhh, GROAN!!!
Pleeaassee don't get her started on that 'other woman' thing again, curious.
That was one of the most ridiculous seriously stated comments I've ever read here.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Oaktown Traveler

CURIOUS?????????

Girl is that you? HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Where have you been? (giggle)

Yup, I know the James. As you may know the whole Oak Bluffs circle is huge yet "tight" at the same time.

Girl, I love 'Sconset too!

How do you like that Jared Coffin House? I go twice when we are in MV. I get on the ferry, and go right over to Nantucket for 24-48 hours.

Curious, you know some folks are sitting at their computers with there mouths hung wide open!
Don't they know that TRAVEL transcends "all"? (Grin)

My Best to you Curious!
Happy Travels
Oaktown

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:46 AM
curious

Sorry M, I couldn't resist. I guess I feel I've earned it since I've been answering a lot of questions with serious and helpful (I hope) advice and was getting a little bored. You have to admit that it's been rather dull of late and it is summer vacation after all!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:53 AM
curious

Yes, it is me. Just got back from ACK a few days ago. Had dinner at the JChouse (Tap Room)with the kids.
Give Chuck my best. Tell him his fellow Systems Analyst from Greenwich sends her regards and hopes he's doing well. He'll know who your talking about. My husband says hi too! It IS a small world!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Curious:

Will do! It is a small world. Tell DH I say hi too.

Oaktown