Nantucket / Martha's Vineyard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't be offended by this question, but are Nantucket & Martha's Vineyard so expensive that only the Rich can go and feel comfortable? What is the atmosphere like?
(and the prices!) Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:12 AM

When we first went to Marthas Vineyard, we had two small children and not a lot of money. We stayed in a charming Victorian guest house in town, used all the beaches, had pizza and went to the Black Dog. We were able to drive all over the island and we were never bored or felt that others were enjoying something more than we because they had more money.
Now if you are talking about BUYING a house on Marthas Vineyard or Nantucket, that is a different matter
Prices are sorta high though. Remember, people do live there all year round, all supplies have to come over on ferries.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:37 AM

I've not been to Martha's Vineyard but have been to Nantucket many times. It is expensive but doesn't have to be. Remember they're both islands so everything has to be brought in by boat which adds to prices. The real issue on Nantucket is a car. It's very expensive (and difficult-you have to reserve space months in advance)to bring one over on the ferry & also expensive to rent. Motor skooters & bikes are an option.
The atmosphere is casual/beachy but there are fancy/expensive restaurants where people dress up but you don't have to go to them. Also lots of casual places.
The center of town where there are lots of B&Bs as well as hotels is relatively far from the beach but a healthy bike ride. There are also other areas to stay. Can't help with prices. I used to rent a house with friends for a week or 2 which was economical because we could eat in some & share expenses. It's a wonderful place to congregate if you have friends spread around the country. Hope this helps some.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:40 AM

PS we always went in September, just after Labor Day so it was less crowded, less expensive accomodation & the water was warm.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Are the people friendly?
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

No, not buying a house, just vacationing.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Of course the people are friendly. Why wouldn't they be?
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Speaking about MV only, I think you will find the atmosphere very down to earth. While there are some very rich vacationers there, I have found it to be very unlike, say, the Hamptons, where I consistently feel out of place. I have been going to MV since I was in college (= no money), and have always found food and accomodations to match my budget. There are also plenty of things to do that don't involve huge outlays of cash (ex. great biking, interesting nature preserves). As for the people being friendly, I think it is very typical of New England - people are not impressed by snobbery or flashiness, which keeps it civil. But it IS New England - people are not as friendly as in some other parts of the country (generally).
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Agree with Tommy, friendly but with reserve. However, I've always found them (Nantucketers)to be overly helpful with directions, tracking down a place etc. It's a unique place with fascinating history-much more than just a beach vacation.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Linda