Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nantucket (first time) before P-town for Thanksgiving

Sep 9th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Already have Thanksgiving reservations for P-town (Wed-Sun). Wondering if it's logistical nightmare to spend a couple of days (Mon & Tues) on Nantucket before Cape Cod? Any input on where to stay on Nantucket or transportation between the Cape and Nantucket would be appreciated. Of course, a car is involved.
Sep 9th, 2018, 03:48 PM

It costs between $200-300 approx to take a car on the ferry (Steamship Authority), depending on size, plus passenger cost. I have no idea about availability of accommodations in November. I do not know from where you would be arriving, but traffic almost anywhere in Massachusetts the days prior to Thanksgiving is a nightmare, so getting to the Cape ferry terminal will take much longer than usual.

But if costs and possible traffic to terminal does not scare you off, it will likely be cold and beautiful.
Sep 9th, 2018, 04:43 PM

Many attractions and some eateries on the Cape and Islands are seasonal, often closing around Columbus Day. Would recommend checking to see if the attractions you plan to visit will be open in November. Some may be, but can’t guarantee it.
Sep 10th, 2018, 07:05 AM

In November, I probably wouldn't bother with bringing your car to Nantucket, but if you do you'll need to make a reservation (ferries leave from Hyannis). If you want to explore the island further afield, then rent one on the island; it's usually cheaper than bringing yours over. Ferry service is greatly reduced after late October, so I'm not sure of the schedule, but ferries run year-round. People do come to the Cape for Thanksgiving, but I've never found it overwhelming.

A lot of places do close after late October, even in Provincetown. Thanksgiving is usually the last weekend for seasonal businesses, but some will have closed long before then. I've been to the Cape several times around Thanksgiving, and the weather is always iffy ... sometimes cold, sometimes cold and wet, but rarely what I would call pleasant. Except on the day before Thanksgiving, traffic is usually quite bearable that week, and it's not going to be anything like a summer weekend driving to the Cape or Provincetown except on Wednesday; coming back on Sunday will be bad, but again nothing like the summer. If you arrive a couple of days earlier, I can't imagine you'll experience too much traffic getting to Hyannis for the Nantucket ferry.