Mystic Hot Springs in Utah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been? We needed a stop over place between Zion and Moab (we'll be stoping by Capital Reef and the like on the way back through that loop (Vegas - Zion - Moab - Cap Reef - Bryce - Vegas).

If you have, let me know your experience, please.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Wow Maria,

I live in UT and have never heard of this? Where is it?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 01:39 PM

I too live in Utah and have never heard of it. I Googled it - http://www.xmission.com/~mysticstudi...ut_mystic.html
Looks a little scary to me, but you never know.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

why does it look scary? are you seeing the same site?

http://www.mystichotsprings.com/

we've booked one of the cabins. admittedly it isn't as nice as ojo caliente in new mexico but we go camping alot and this isn't any different to a mountain biking camp except the main attraction is the hot springs, not mountain biking?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Hi again Maria,

If you have a night to stop between Zion and Moab, how about taking that night instead between Capitol Reef and Bryce? Stay in Boulder at the Boulder Mtn Lodge. Very nice and that would give you hiking time at Calf Creek or Escalante!

Knowing UT as I do, this spot sounds like someone's glorified backyard "RV resort". Believe me, I've seen some awful places conceived and run by rookies. Could be a real gem or a real dive.

If you do go there, please do a trip report and let us know how it turned out!

Have fun

If you
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM

I was looking at the same site - just click the link that says "Check out more pictures on the New web site at New Mystic Web Site Under Construction". http://tinyurl.com/257xyl

I thought the old crusty tubs looked a little scary and the fact that they referred to their place as "funky but functional". But if you go let us know what you thought.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Ah, i see your point Barbara.

Hi Dayle, the thing is, we were going to do a circle tour. We figure the drive between Zion and Moab is faster on the highway and we were looking at a midpoint stopping point. We will be doing Capitol Reef but on the way back. It's been a bit of time since I was last in Moab and so many other trips in between so if have a better suggestion, then by all means. I'd love to hear it - and welcome it actually. I too was a bit iffy because of the tubs and stuff(why I posted in fodors) but we like hot springs and we thought to give it a try.

Any suggestions then for a stop in between that would be a fun night? We'll be arriving late and leaving fairly early to get to Moab so a small soak was right up our alley...
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I kind of like the idea of the hike in Escalante. How much longer do you think it would take (as a drive) from Zion taking that route vs the highway?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM

I can't answer your question about time, but Escalante is fascinating. We stayed at the B&B - quite nice. I highly recommend a meal at Hell's Backbone Kitchen in Boulder. Amazingly great. Also, if you have the time, a guided hike with Escalante Outback Adventure Company is quite exciting. Julia and Drew Cosby are the owner-guides.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:52 AM

Maria,

What I was recommending is to go in 1 day from Zion to Moab. You can do this by I-15 to I-70 and, yes, that is the quickest way. Then use that night instead on your return of the loop.
Do Capitol Reef, stay over in Boulder, hike, then on to Bryce for the rest of your trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle and that does sound good but the thing is, we've already booked the condo in moab and can't change it. Also, we were hiking zion until late that day and so we won't get on the road until close to dark.

Can you tell me how long that drive is from Zion to Moab on the highways?
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM

If you go on the interstates, it's 5 hours according to Mapquest.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi All. Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice. We decided to stay an extra day in Zion (instead of splitting it up for first and last day of our circle tour. This will allow us to stay an extra day in Torrey so we can do a small hike in Escalante.

Dayle, so which hike from boulder to you recommend for our hike in escalante. Not too long. A day hike that will allow us to see the most of escalante highlights in a day. We would head out from Torrey that morning, swing by escalante, do a hike and drive and sleep at Ruby's Inn in Bryce.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Hi again Maria!

There is no one hike that will let you see all the highlights of the Escalante area, it's huge with lots of variety. The one hike I've done there that is really wonderful is the Calf Creek Falls. It's 5 mi. round trip and the falls at the end is very beautiful! I don't remember when you are doing this trip. Soon? If so, spring is a busy time. Get to Calf Creek EARLY (by 9am) if you want a parking place. Take a picnic too if you like, the falls are a nice place to have a rest and a swim!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

That sounds perfect Dayle! Thanks! Yeah, we'll be there on the 27th of April. We'll get there at 9 to be sure! I imgine Torrey is only a 30 min drive from there?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Oh, no. The drive from Torrey will take you over an hour.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Really? Looks so close on the map and it says 30 miles on mapquest. No matter, we'll get up a bit earlier and get going to be there at 9am. Thanks much Dayle. Jotted that down now to get maps and stuff. Super cool and many thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:03 AM

I'm trying to remember how long. The last time I did that route, I stopped for lots of photos and a picnic. It might be more like 2 hours. Ask your hotel, they will know.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Dayle,

Looked up calf creek and it seems we can do that hike in the morning. Is there another short hike near there we can do for the afternoon? I figure we can do that hike int he morning, eat lunch at the falls and then try to do another short hike like that. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Yes, there are lots of hikes in the area, especially as you continue on toward the town of Escalante. I have not done most of them, but you can grab a visitor's guide and get some good recommendations either in town or at the park visitor's center. I did one that required a drive out on a dirt road (as most will) and it was scenic and short. Sorry I can't remember the name of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -