myrtle beach - what to avoid and what to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been years since I've been to Myrtle Beach. My "To be" husband and I will be spending a week there in a time share (the Carolina Grande Resort) on N. Ocean Blvd.. (I assume that is in NORTH Myrtle Beach...I understand there is a difference in the North and South designation. Anyway, anyone familiar with either the resort or the area, would appreciate in-put. We are 60 somethings, but way younger than that
implies!
Enjoy good food, casual attire, fun pubs/ bars, beaching,and would like to do at least one day outing....if there is such a thing. Any suggestions? And are we going to be happy with the "resort"? Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Hi! Carolina Grande is located in the city of Myrtle Beach at 2505 N Ocean Blvd. You will not be far from Broadway at the Beach. I don't know how long it has been since you were here, but I'm sure things have changed a lot.

Here's a link to my To Do list. At the bottom of that page, you'll find a link to my myrtle beach message board where you'll find a lot of restaurant and accommodation reviews. Hope you'll have a wonderful trip!
http://www.funbeaches.com/to_do.html
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks. Will check it out.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM

Tons of stuff to do! I stayed at the Paradise Resort (http://www.paradiseresortmb.com/) and the attractions I loved were the Ripleys aquarium, broadway at the beach, sea captain's house restaurant, IMAX, and tons of shopping.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Also check out the shopping at the outlet malls! Some great deals around there. I went shopping and stayed at Myrtlewood Villas - http://www.myrtlewoodvillas.com/, and it was a great time all around.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Hello Bethie, there are a lot of shows and Theaters in the area. The Carolina Opry is award winning show of life music, comedy and dance, also Palace Theater offer really good shows, Le Grand Cirque is worth to see. You said you enjoy good food, I have a list of the best restaurants in Myrtle Beach, some of them been open for over 25 years, it's really good places to eat. Enjoy you trip to Myrtle Beach!
http://www.myrtlebeachbay.com/myrtle...staurants.html
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM

My husband and I were in N. Myrtle Beach the first week of November. Two highlights of our stay were a day trip to Brookline Gardens and a dinner at Cagney's Restaurant where we had one of the best filet mignons we've ever eaten!!!!!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Make a trip to Drunken Jack's in Murrell's Inlet. Great food and ambiance.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Loved Margaritavilla (Jimmy Buffet's), Ripley's Aquarium, Mideval Times, Johnny Rocket's, Red Lobster ... had a great time. DON'T go to the Ripley's Haunted House ... crummy area of MB.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM

When are you going? I just got back today. I was able to walk on the beach 2 of the three days I was there. I came home with a ton of shells.

Going in the winter has a lot of advantages. No lines! We walked in the Sea Captains House and Islamora Fish Company. (The Bass Pro Shop is always on my son's list of favorite places.)

I recommend taking bikes and pedalling around Brookgreen gardens near Murrell's Inlet. You could spend several days at the gardens. The state park across the street is worth going to as well.

The Grand Strand is what you make it.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:57 PM

Ideas for easy day-trip:

Drive south to Huntington Beach State Park (across from Brookgreen Gardens) - spend some time at the beautiful natural beach, which has no development for at least a mile -
there's also a marsh walk and an old artists' home that offers free tours. Drive a little farther south to Pawley's Island for the Hammock Shoppes - quaint little shops with restaurants. (Home of the original Pawley's Island hammocks).
Very easy day trip.
You could do the same route next day and visit Brookgreen Gardens (gardens with many, many sculptures, statues, Jeep rides & river ride). Stop at Murrells Inlet for the best
seafood in the area!! Very relaxing,quiet area with restaurants overlooking the marsh.
Same route - get up early, take same route (heading towards Charleston) and visit Hampton Plantation State Park. If you enjoy history, you will love this place! If you wanted to get up really early, a trip to Charleston would be doable (or stay one night there - come back to MB next day).
Heading North, you could go to visit Wilmington or go to Bald Head Island and tour the coast's oldest lighthouse. (Ferry ride takes you over.) Stop for dinner at the Parson's Table in Little River (old church converted to restaurant).
Have fun!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 04:41 PM

The Parson's Table in Little River is very, very good, and interesting.
Brookgreen Gardens is a fabulous sculpture garden, well worth a visit.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM

You need to make sure you visit Gulf Stream Cafe and have dinner as the sun begins to set. The view is incredible and worth the short drive to garden city.

Another geat thing that most people miss is taking a boat trip down the Intercoastal waterway.....it is very nice too.

I hope this has helped.

http://myrtlebeachrentalsguide.com
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:05 AM

I highly recommend staying at North Beach Plantation in North MB. It far exceeded my expectations. Very high end and immaculate. Since it is new and not fully-operational (no resturant on site) there are great deals to be had. My family of three was thrilled with this find and waking up each morning to an ocean view was wonderful.