My turn for an electrical question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are plenty of posting over on the Europe forum about electrical equipment and voltages, but none of them answer my (dumb) question.
I know most of my stuff will be just fine in the US, as it is all dual voltage, but I use an electric toothbrush. The charger for it is only 240volt, not dual voltage. If I use it in the US will it work, just slower or won't it work at all?
I've looked for a dual voltage charger but they just don't seem to be available, and I don't visit the US often enough to merit buying a toothbrush there.
I know I can go back to a normal toothbrush but it would be nice to have the electric one along if I can.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:28 AM

Hey, with the Euro-Dollar/Pound-Dollar exchange rate that it is today...only ONE visit would warrant your buying an electric toothbrush!!!!!

When we come to Europe we use battery-operated models...those are cheap over here (by your monetary standards) and they work just as well as our electric models.

Great for travel and no need to charge, worry about power conversion, etc.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:05 AM

I agree: Lighten your luggage and just buy a $5 battery-operated on when you arrive.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I'll do that. Never thought of a battery powered one. Duh!!!!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM

A second vote for battery power. I bought a SonicCare for about $100 when they first came out (still have it); I see battery-powered brushes for sale for less than $5 today.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM

I agree with the toothbrushes that use only one AA battery (and it lasts a long, long time).

You can pick one up at any drug or grocery store in your favorite color.

I keep a spare in my travel bag. Comes with a nifty cover that snaps over the brush portion.

My favorite is the Oral B.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
How long is your trip? My fully charged Braun toothbrush runs more than a month w/o needing to be plugged back in. In fact, the instruction say to run it down completely a couple of times a year -- and that it might take a few weeks to completely discharge.

Try yours before taking your trip - unplug the charger and see how long it works before slowing down.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM

I completely agree about getting an inexpensive battery operated toothbrush for your trip. They are sold for about $5 at discount drug stores. We are in temporary quarters waiting for a new condo to be finished and the movers whisked our fancy electric toothbrushes off to storage. We have been here since November 1st and I didn't have to replace the AA battery until two weeks ago. Go for it. I may never pay the price for a rechargeable again.